MEAT_GOD

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco 2dr, 15 Maserati Quattroporte
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Hi. Surprised I haven't found any threads on this, so I guess I'll start my own. I'm considering getting some SPAL radiator fans for the Bronco.
Ford Bronco Aftermarket Radiator Fans - Any Good? 1689929755148

It gets very hot here - 120F+ - so I'd appreciate any increase in cooling performance, but I wanted to know if anyone here had any experience with them for me to decide on whether it's worth the upgrade or not.
Sponsored

spuddy59

Base
First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hi. Surprised I haven't found any threads on this, so I guess I'll start my own. I'm considering getting some SPAL radiator fans for the Bronco.
Ford Bronco Aftermarket Radiator Fans - Any Good? 1689929755148

It gets very hot here - 120F+ - so I'd appreciate any increase in cooling performance, but I wanted to know if anyone here had any experience with them for me to decide on whether it's worth the upgrade or not.
I've got nothing to offer, but wanted to follow and ask what kind of engine temps you were seeing. 120...yeesh...I though the 110 we hit a few days ago was rough.

OP
OP
MEAT_GOD

MEAT_GOD

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I've got nothing to offer, but wanted to follow and ask what kind of engine temps you were seeing. 120...yeesh...I though the 110 we hit a few days ago was rough.
Approximately 200F for both engine and transmission temperatures. Taking it on light off-roading I've noticed it go above 230 on some occasions, which is why I've been staying careful with this thing all summer.

And yeah, 120 is our average. We hit 140 a few years back, too, lol

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

A replacement fan would still be controlled by the PCM and come on at the same temperatures. So unless you plan on controlling it differently somehow, there is no benefit. And at that point even a different fan isn't going to cool any better than the factory ones, so it's basically just a waste of money 🤷‍♂️

Lèòn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Love your avatar first of all.

Hmm, looks like a job for @Mishimoto , but also aren't there coolant additives and vented hoods to dissipate heat? Get a universal trans fan as well probably.

Not sure what else I can add, more just paging Mishimoto to chime in

Sponsored

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A replacement fan would still be controlled by the PCM and come on at the same temperatures. So unless you plan on controlling it differently somehow, there is no benefit. And at that point even a different fan isn't going to cool any better than the factory ones, so it's basically just a waste of money 🤷‍♂️
Big Ass Fan on an accessory switch? Or maybe a swamp cooler wired to ignition. These are both great ideas. :whistle:

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Big Ass Fan on an accessory switch? Or maybe a swamp cooler wired to ignition. These are both great ideas. :whistle:
We have a few Big Ass Fans in the shop. Those things do move some air!

OP
OP
MEAT_GOD

MEAT_GOD

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
It'll be wired to the auxiliary toggle switches, so it can be toggled whenever I want it to be.

And I'm not so sure about it being a waste of money; after all, there's actually no information whatsoever on this forum regarding if it is. The only other thread I found regarding the radiator fan and high temperatures is this guy asking a similar question, yet getting dead silence in response.

If it'll be a total waste of time and money? Sure, whatever, I bought a Bronco anyways, so I'm used to that/s. If not? I'll be able to post another thread regarding its benefits, especially to other desert-dwelling Bronco owners. I'd consider the Bronco's engines to be higher-stressed than other engines, so any small change to prolong its life in a more demanding environment is a good one.

Love your avatar first of all.

Hmm, looks like a job for @Mishimoto , but also aren't there coolant additives and vented hoods to dissipate heat? Get a universal trans fan as well probably.

Not sure what else I can add, more just paging Mishimoto to chime in
Thanks on the compliment for the avatar! I did message you before about yours, which has definitely been an inspiration for mine, lol

As for the transmission cooling, that's not something I've got in mind - at least, I don't think aftermarket radiator fans will do anything for that. If it's ever a problem, I'll likely just upgrade the whole transmission oil cooler rather than just the fan, and at that point, I might as well just get a whole new radiator while I'm at it.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

It'll be wired to the auxiliary toggle switches, so it can be toggled whenever I want it to be.

And I'm not so sure about it being a waste of money; after all, there's actually no information whatsoever on this forum regarding if it is. The only other thread I found regarding the radiator fan and high temperatures is this guy asking a similar question, yet getting dead silence in response.

If it'll be a total waste of time and money? Sure, whatever, I bought a Bronco anyways, so I'm used to that/s. If not? I'll be able to post another thread regarding its benefits, especially to other desert-dwelling Bronco owners. I'd consider the Bronco's engines to be higher-stressed than other engines, so any small change to prolong its life in a more demanding environment is a good one.
Yeah I guess waste of money was a poor description. Because that’s subjective to who is spending it and what they consider a waste.

Personally I just don’t see a point. 230 is a normal oil temperature. 205-215 is a normal transmission temperature. Unless temperatures significantly over that, I see no reason to worry.

OP
OP
MEAT_GOD

MEAT_GOD

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Yeah I guess waste of money was a poor description. Because that’s subjective to who is spending it and what they consider a waste.

Personally I just don’t see a point. 230 is a normal oil temperature. 205-215 is a normal transmission temperature. Unless temperatures significantly over that, I see no reason to worry.
Not particularly worried, but it's just not a number I'd like to see when cruising. If I ever give it the beans, it's going to creep towards the upper end of what I'd consider to be normal, so any prolonged hard use of the Bronco's going to put it at temperatures that I'm just not comfortable with.

I've had cars overheat on me even during stop-start traffic, so having a stronger cooling solution for traffic jams, where the stop-start nature, low amounts of ram air due to stop-and-go traffic, and the higher local air temperature due to the sun heating the asphalt directly underneath, will definitely prove to be a worthy investment.

Sponsored

Mishimoto

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Approximately 200F for both engine and transmission temperatures. Taking it on light off-roading I've noticed it go above 230 on some occasions, which is why I've been staying careful with this thing all summer.

And yeah, 120 is our average. We hit 140 a few years back, too, lol
Hey @MEAT_GOD - Coolant + transmission temps in the 200F range seems reasonable for the Bronco. We are working on a performance aluminum radiator which fits perfectly with the stock fan configuration. Like @Ducati1098 mentioned, the stock fan is PCM controlled and moves a large, large volume of air. If you are spending most driving time at slower speeds, you could benefit from a pusher fan on the FRONT face of the radiator. This could be controlled via toggle switch to assist in sending air into the radiator. Not recommended as much for 'normal duty' driving as the fan in front of the radiator reduces the overall surface area of air hitting the radiator.

Let us know if we can help with any recommendations for universal fans for your project!

- John

OP
OP
MEAT_GOD

MEAT_GOD

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Hey @MEAT_GOD - Coolant + transmission temps in the 200F range seems reasonable for the Bronco. We are working on a performance aluminum radiator which fits perfectly with the stock fan configuration. Like @Ducati1098 mentioned, the stock fan is PCM controlled and moves a large, large volume of air. If you are spending most driving time at slower speeds, you could benefit from a pusher fan on the FRONT face of the radiator. This could be controlled via toggle switch to assist in sending air into the radiator. Not recommended as much for 'normal duty' driving as the fan in front of the radiator reduces the overall surface area of air hitting the radiator.

Let us know if we can help with any recommendations for universal fans for your project!

- John
So, essentially, there's no benefit from replacing the stock fans, only maybe adding them on the front of the radiator. Thanks for the input; seems these are a waste of time.

SVTLightning

Badlands
First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Titan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

These temps are mind boggling! I’m upset at 77°F and up. Was about 87-88°F here today and that’s extreme heat haha

Mcloven

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porche Cayenne, Hyandai Veloster, Mercedes GLA
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

- John

When will this be available? Got to pull my stock one out to get all the mud out and was hoping I could just throw one of yours in. I'll volunteer to test! Hahahaha!