First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Passport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Here is a video I shot while I was doing the wiring. It's really just to show the layout of the harness. I cleaned up a lot of the wiring when I finished the install. I posted a video of the power wire run to the battery in an earlier post:

Here is how the whole things looks and works when it's done:

All of the interior panels came off pretty easily, with the exception of the speaker cover/dead pedal in the driver's foot well. It's actually easy to remove, but it's bolted down to the floor underneath the dead pedal. So it just took a while to figure that out.

The ARB switch needs to be powered by a power source that comes on when the ignition is on. I decided to use the AUX switch wiring for a few reasons: so that I could control it from two locations, I had a power source that was 100% only on when the car is on (supposedly the cigarette lighter in the back can stay on for a bit with the car off), and so that I didn't accidentally hit the switch while loading/unloading cargo.

So, that's my install. Time will tell how it holds up, and I'll check the temps fully when I do a complete tire inflation on all four tires. But so far, so good! If anyone has any questions, wants any measurements, or anything else, just let me know. I'd be happy to help out.

Also, here are the little clips that seems to like to break behind the interior quarter panel trim pieces. They are pricey. I got them from Ruxer Ford for $23.40 + shipping.
IMG_0877.JPG
IMG_0878.JPG
Very well done and thanks for sharing. Looks great and so functional. Your thread will help immensely.

I will pre-order the clips 🙂

One last question - why did you run a different accessory wire to the Aux switch? Maybe you were already using the pre-run wire? Or did you feel a larger gauge wire was necessary?

(Maybe run it on the driver's side with the power since that side is already open? Save me having to fight it down the passenger side.)

Thanks again.
Sponsored

OP
OP
BadlandsJ

BadlandsJ

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands Non-SAS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
One last question - why did you run a different accessory wire to the Aux switch? Maybe you were already using the pre-run wire? Or did you feel a larger gauge wire was necessary?

(Maybe run it on the driver's side with the power since that side is already open? Save me having to fight it down the passenger side.)

Thanks again.
The accessory wire for the rear only runs to just behind the back seat on the passenger side, so the wire you see is attached to the factory accessory wire to extend it long enough to reach the wire on the loom. You'll still have to remove the driver's side quarter panel trim to run the power wire.

The factory aux wire comes out around here:
Ford Bronco American Adventure Lab Tailgate Compressor Mount - Early Review IMG_0881.JPG

Last edited:

paperboy

Badlands
First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Passport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The accessory wire for the rear only runs to just behind the back seat on the passenger side, so the wire you see is attached to the factory accessory wire to extend it long enough to reach the wire on the loom. You'll still have to remove the driver's side quarter panel trim to run the power wire.

The factory aux wire comes out around here:
Ford Bronco American Adventure Lab Tailgate Compressor Mount - Early Review IMG_0881.JPG
Makes perfect sense! Thanks for the explanation and also the instruction booklet.

Cheers!

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I love the fit/finish of this. I love the idea of airing up at the back of the vehicle.

Not sure I'm willing to drop any MORE money to get to this setup though. My dual in the engine bay is working just fine.

murphtron

Badlands
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands, 2013 Toyota Highlander, 2000 Miata
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Love this setup. Thx for the videos. And yes I feel your pain with the white clips. In theory they are a good design - designed to separate. But half of mine broke. Wish I had the AAL compressor setup when I ripped out the panels to install kilmat and add a subwoofer. Woulda been halfway prepped already!

Sponsored

l88m22vette

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Please sir may I have locking diffs?
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I thought it appropriate to bump this thread since I just grabbed an ARB single after reading it lol. @BadlandsJ I can't thank you enough for the videos, I've done some wiring so I'm going to try modifying the ARB harness, that comparison is gold. I'm going to grab the AAL kit soon, and hope to get it together this fall or winter🤘

Ford Bronco American Adventure Lab Tailgate Compressor Mount - Early Review ebay compressor

Sorle

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’m having an issue with the switch wiring and just want to ensure it goes smoothly. How was the install of the final assembly to the tailgate. The brackets seem to be cumbersome. Any tricks?

OP
OP
BadlandsJ

BadlandsJ

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands Non-SAS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m having an issue with the switch wiring and just want to ensure it goes smoothly. How was the install of the final assembly to the tailgate. The brackets seem to be cumbersome. Any tricks?
Which bracket are you talking about?

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For those that are still on the fence, AAL has the Tailgate Compressor Mount on sale as part of their Christmas promotion.
IF I don't end up with one for Christmas as a gift I'll be buying one on this sale. Hopefully it will run until just after Christmas for those of us holding out.
Self-buying stuff like this around this time of year is dicey...
Thanks for the link and heads-up on the sale.

Sponsored

Sorle

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Ford Bronco American Adventure Lab Tailgate Compressor Mount - Early Review IMG_4664

Not too bad. Filled a tire at 13psi to 38 in maybe 4 minutes or so. My pops tire was flat.

l88m22vette

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@BadlandsJ Can you confirm two things? I'm wrapping up my install and want to make sure I'm good.

1) What is the AUX wire in the passenger quarter panel connected to on the wiring harness?
2) For the 12v + red wire, which you splice into the rear power port, the white/brown wire is positive, correct?

OP
OP
BadlandsJ

BadlandsJ

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands Non-SAS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@BadlandsJ Can you confirm two things? I'm wrapping up my install and want to make sure I'm good.

1) What is the AUX wire in the passenger quarter panel connected to on the wiring harness?
2) For the 12v + red wire, which you splice into the rear power port, the white/brown wire is positive, correct?
This only applies if you have the optional aux switches. If so, the white/orange wire behind the right-hand rear quarter panel runs up the vehicle behind the glove box. It's here that you would connect that to either the brown or brown/white wire that comes from the drivers side, that you would then connect to whichever wire you want that corresponds to the aux switch you want to use.

Take a look at the files I attached from the 2022 owners manual. In my case, I used Aux Switch #3, which is a violet/green wire (A). On the drivers side, under the hood near the cowl, you'd attach that wire (violet/green) to either the brown/white (B1) or the white (B2) wire. Then you'd go under your glove box by removing it, and connect either the brown/white (B1) or the white (B2) wire – whichever you used – to the white/orange wire (E). The white/orange (E) wire then runs to behind the passenger rear cargo area. That is a 12v + that you can use to power the switch.

Keep in mind that this step is totally unnecessary. You can power the compressor switch by just tapping into the wire that American Adventure Lab recommends. I just wanted to connect it to an aux switch so I had the option to control the compressor from the tailgate or the driver's seat.

If that doesn't make sense, let me know and I'll make a video of that wiring.

Screenshot 2024-02-06 at 7.17.43 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-02-06 at 7.25.10 PM.png

l88m22vette

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It does, and I have AUX4 all set up to be connected. I wasn't sure if I connect the white/orange to the 12v power wire from the kit harness so it'd run off the AUX, or if I tap into the 12v outlet and connect the AUX somewhere else.

OP
OP
BadlandsJ

BadlandsJ

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands Non-SAS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It does, and I have AUX4 all set up to be connected. I wasn't sure if I connect the white/orange to the 12v power wire from the kit harness so it'd run off the AUX, or if I tap into the 12v outlet and connect the AUX somewhere else.
I'm not sure if I know exactly what you're asking, but the LARGE gauge red power wire has to go directly to the battery (with a fuse in between). The AUX power wire or the outlet power is just the power supply for the compressor switch only, which is the red/yellow on the switch harness. The AUX wire and outlet wire cannot power the compressor alone; the compressor draws way to much power for that.

Is that what you mean?
Sponsored