First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ran the trail with those guys, they said it in the video, the axel housing split. Nothing to do with the tie rods.

Matt was there in a hurry, they were headed up the trail before we even got back to the trailhead!

IMG_5052.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
MNBronc

MNBronc

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Ran the trail with those guys, they said it in the video, the axel housing split. Nothing to do with the tie rods.

Matt was there in a hurry, they were headed up the trail before we even got back to the trailhead!

Ford Bronco Another Bronco w/ Broken Tie Rod stranded and recovered IMG_5052
You can see the broken tie rod in the pictures and video

Cysquatch

Base
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CTS, 1996 Silverado 4X4
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

It would also be nice if the aftermarket was quick to provide new racks/tie rods as well with easy to update computer solutions. A few in the works I think.
74 Weld makes a rack that blows away the HOSS 3.0 rack. $5k though for the entire thing or $3k if you send them the 3.0.

RynoRanger

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Website
azbluey.com
Vehicle(s)
2.7L Badlands NS 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

welp... at least we know who's bronc it was :)

Sponsored

SS Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Shayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco , F600, F5, LJ20
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They originally had a prototype case with a doubler in front, some company is making them as an alternative to the Atlas and he got one of the first. It had problems staying in 4WD so they swapped in a stock NP205. That's a pretty tough case, but that's a lot of gearing and big tires even for a 205, I was expecting them to snap an output shaft the first time they gave it the beans and it did. Fortunately, there are several replacement shafts for them that are bulletproof, and I believe he's already done the upgrade.

Check out their build vids, that thing probably has 800HP in winches alone LOL
Shocked they put a 205 in that beast. With that heavy of gvw Marmon-Herrington is the only way to go.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

74 Weld makes a rack that blows away the HOSS 3.0 rack. $5k though for the entire thing or $3k if you send them the 3.0.

Yeah, that's pretty steep for a steering rack for my uses. Am hoping Dorman makes an upgraded rack at a more reasonable price for those of us who don't need quite the quality of the 74 Weld.

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Shocked they put a 205 in that beast. With that heavy of gvw Marmon-Herrington is the only way to go.
Well, they're certainly capable of handling 1100ft/lbs of input torque, and while that sounds pretty beefy, you also have to consider that the 450ft/lb coming from the 8.1L is geared down to 2.48 in 1st with a 4L85, so that means it's seeing about 1,115ft/lbs input torque, without any doubler. Ordinarily, being right on the edge of rated input torque is not a deal breaker because you're rarely capable of putting that much torque to the ground with an equal and opposite amount of traction available. Throw some big ass tires on a heavy rig with smooth sandstone, let it start hopping and spinning the tires, and yeah, you'll get that much traction easy. The new input shaft they have is meant to handle way more than that, made from 8620 steel with a much beefier profile where they usually shear. It's the kind of stuff they're putting in Ultra4 buggies and rock bouncers, but it's only supposed to be a temporary solution until the prototype case gets fixed.

They're not making it yet, and really, it's just the housing and bushings that they changed...the 3.0 internals are still being used in them. I have a 3.0 on standby for when they start taking orders, but it's not the silver bullet for all Bronco steering woes. It's over-engineered for strength, and I believe a lower cost solution needs to made in order to bridge the gap between the 2.0/3.0 and 74Weld's rack. An actual drop-in replacement that doesn't cost the customer $5K...I mean, that's getting into hydro-assist trophy truck rack territory. They don't need to cost that much.

Ford just released a safety recall today for certain Broncos with 3.0 racks, apparently they're locking up without warning. It's possible that anything using the 3.0 rack might be affected by it, potentially including a 74Weld rack using 3.0 hardware and electronics. Don't know much of anything about it other than what's in their recall so don't go chicken little with that info just yet. Hopefully we'll know more about it soon and it doesn't affect the majority of us.

Sponsored

brianbrn

Wildtrak
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I think it would be neat to poll all 4 offroadeo locations and see how often they have had this happen. Lots of amateur drives going off road with several versions of the Bronco. I think they have done enough trails they would have a great sample size.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I think it would be neat to poll all 4 offroadeo locations and see how often they have had this happen. Lots of amateur drives going off road with several versions of the Bronco. I think they have done enough trails they would have a great sample size.
Yeah if only.... But I'm sure they're under direct orders to keep that stuff hush hush.

The way I saw some of those people bash on these Broncos, I would love to know how many of them broke.

The moment you put oversized tires on, or mess with suspension geometry, it's stuff going to break and it's not fair to complain about Bronco Weaknesses.

I want to know how many people on 35s (with Sasquatch and the beefier front end) or 33s with stock M190 have had issues.

Any stats beyond that are basically worthless.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Funny I was just watching that wrecker yesterday on youtoob....when it grenades the transfercase....it wasn't even towing at the time. Musta upgraded.
And all fairness that transfer case was an experiment and not production.

But it was hilarious to watch that huge wrecker not even be able to climb a basic rock.

Funniest part for me was when they were fixing the busted axle (which time I don't remember) But they were all crawling underneath and someone pointed out.. hey what happens when you pull the drive line... What's holding the wheels"

And Matt points to a rock about the size of a football....pretty sure those massive tires could care less about a football size rock.

Cysquatch

Base
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CTS, 1996 Silverado 4X4
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Well, they're certainly capable of handling 1100ft/lbs of input torque, and while that sounds pretty beefy, you also have to consider that the 450ft/lb coming from the 8.1L is geared down to 2.48 in 1st with a 4L85, so that means it's seeing about 1,115ft/lbs input torque, without any doubler. Ordinarily, being right on the edge of rated input torque is not a deal breaker because you're rarely capable of putting that much torque to the ground with an equal and opposite amount of traction available. Throw some big ass tires on a heavy rig with smooth sandstone, let it start hopping and spinning the tires, and yeah, you'll get that much traction easy. The new input shaft they have is meant to handle way more than that, made from 8620 steel with a much beefier profile where they usually shear. It's the kind of stuff they're putting in Ultra4 buggies and rock bouncers, but it's only supposed to be a temporary solution until the prototype case gets fixed.

They're not making it yet, and really, it's just the housing and bushings that they changed...the 3.0 internals are still being used in them. I have a 3.0 on standby for when they start taking orders, but it's not the silver bullet for all Bronco steering woes. It's over-engineered for strength, and I believe a lower cost solution needs to made in order to bridge the gap between the 2.0/3.0 and 74Weld's rack. An actual drop-in replacement that doesn't cost the customer $5K...I mean, that's getting into hydro-assist trophy truck rack territory. They don't need to cost that much.

Ford just released a safety recall today for certain Broncos with 3.0 racks, apparently they're locking up without warning. It's possible that anything using the 3.0 rack might be affected by it, potentially including a 74Weld rack using 3.0 hardware and electronics. Don't know much of anything about it other than what's in their recall so don't go chicken little with that info just yet. Hopefully we'll know more about it soon and it doesn't affect the majority of us.
Great info. Thanks!

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Probably close to none. They are using stock tire size. At least at Nevada you were never put in a place you had to spin the tires to get traction and people were cognizant that they were driving someone else's vehicle.
Sponsored