Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

We’re all R&D mules, connected vehicle “services” confirms that but the electrical/mechanical voodoo and secrecy is disheartening. 🤞🍀
Well I was notified today that they are recommending that I get my second new engine in a month replaced. How does a new engine fail in 3 days?
Sponsored

Lksamm

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

9/26 build week, 4dr wildtrack. After receiving my bronco at the end of October we drove it till middle of January before the cam phasers started to rattle. It was at the dealership until the first of May. During that time they had to pull the engine twice because it jumped timing on their first attempt to repair. Finally get the vehicle and has been fine, until today when it started flashing engine light and lossed all power. Left us stranded on the side of the interstate. Had it towed to the nearest dealership and rented a hotel. I’ll talk to them tomorrow about pursuing the lemon law.
Same thing happened to me. Flashing light, shaking bronco and stalling when I pulled off the freeway. Did they divide you with any information on why the failure? Mine only ran for 3 days after the first engine replacement. I'd love to hear how the lemon law conversation went. I haven't found Ford being very helpful from a customer support stand point.

Sparkman

Big Bend
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Are you seeing these cam phaser failures to be widespread in the 2.7 ? Maybe in the Ford service technicians forum ?
What percentage of the engines do you think are failing ? Way less than 1% ?
Are they Bronco only ?
Or F-150 also ?

Here in B6g the 2.7 owners have been reporting these almost 2-years now. So they don't seem confined to any range of build-dates. And after the major repairs are done some owners have engine failure again several months later ( e.g. @MNRiderTTU )
Are you seeing these repeated failures frequently ?

Do you think the 2.7L is somehow risky or fragile in the cam phaser design ?
Why are so many owners having these failures ?

After delivery it seems the cam phasers can run fine for months and then somehow they go out of adjustment. You wonder if the 2.7L design is somehow non-robust or fragile, unreliable
My Uncle came over last week and started up his F150 and I heard the rattle - I only knew what it was from this forum and I asked him what engine he had and sure enough he had 2.7. Here’s the rub - he had just exceeded the extended warranty but had been hearing the noise for months - dealer told him it was nothing - now he knows it’s the cam phasers and is out of warranty. This is the same dealer I’m picking my bronco up from tomorrow - I’m not playing those games.

MNRiderTTU

Wildtrak
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Same thing happened to me. Flashing light, shaking bronco and stalling when I pulled off the freeway. Did they divide you with any information on why the failure? Mine only ran for 3 days after the first engine replacement. I'd love to hear how the lemon law conversation went. I haven't found Ford being very helpful from a customer support stand point.
Reading the report from the out of town dealer that did the replacement it is pretty obvious that the first dealership botched the cam phaser repair. Driving my bronco with the new motor is good so far except my catalytic converter is malfunctioning. I’m told it was probably caused by the last motor running so poorly. Unfortunately the catalytic converter is on back order. I should be contacted by the buyback team this week and presented with my options. Not sure what I will do seeing as msrp has gone up a lot in the last year.

Lksamm

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Reading the report from the out of town dealer that did the replacement it is pretty obvious that the first dealership botched the cam phaser repair. Driving my bronco with the new motor is good so far except my catalytic converter is malfunctioning. I’m told it was probably caused by the last motor running so poorly. Unfortunately the catalytic converter is on back order. I should be contacted by the buyback team this week and presented with my options. Not sure what I will do seeing as msrp has gone up a lot in the last year.
Is a replacement not an option? I paid way below MSRP so I'm in the same boat, also added about 7k of accessories. Did Ford offer you anything for your inconvenience?

Sponsored

Amaddox72

Big Bend
First Name
Amy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I bought my 2023 Ford Bronco March 2023. Big Bend with Ford sasquatch package. 3 months in I was stopping at an intersection and the brakes would not engage properly and it took all my leg strength it get it to stop as my front end was in traffic. Luckily people saw the issue. At 4 months I'm driving on the highway. I see brake light up ahead and slowed my speed. As I break my bronco throws all sort of warming...think I'm about to get in a collision. I'm able to drive but now don't have abs. Park assist. Assist wheel speed. I and stuck in 4a. I get it home. Call my dealer and ask them to tow it in. They say I can't have it towed because I need an extended warranty!!!! So I wait...in the mean time I keep starting it to see if it was some fluck and the computer reset the issue....so what happens next?! I start it and there is a loud rattle in the engine!!! I call a diffrent Ford dealer. They say...you don't need an extended warranty...it new! Call roadside assistance. Road side takes it to the nearest Ford dealer. They look at it. The warning lights are most likely a wheel sensor...but they can't tell what wheel it is....the rattle....a vvt valve issue...which require removing everything around the engine to get to valves. 20+ hour job! They say they will work on it as soon as they can. 4 days later...bolts are on back order...nationwide. My bronco has been in service for 50 days untouched. I hadn't been able to drive it almost 2 weeks before it was towed so inoperable for 60+ days.

Ford customer service is crap. It been approved for buyback a while ago. What's next? Nothing...its approved is the only response I get. Anyone else stuck in buyback cloud?

NORCALGXP

Wildtrak
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I bought my 2023 Ford Bronco March 2023. Big Bend with Ford sasquatch package. 3 months in I was stopping at an intersection and the brakes would not engage properly and it took all my leg strength it get it to stop as my front end was in traffic. Luckily people saw the issue. At 4 months I'm driving on the highway. I see brake light up ahead and slowed my speed. As I break my bronco throws all sort of warming...think I'm about to get in a collision. I'm able to drive but now don't have abs. Park assist. Assist wheel speed. I and stuck in 4a. I get it home. Call my dealer and ask them to tow it in. They say I can't have it towed because I need an extended warranty!!!! So I wait...in the mean time I keep starting it to see if it was some fluck and the computer reset the issue....so what happens next?! I start it and there is a loud rattle in the engine!!! I call a diffrent Ford dealer. They say...you don't need an extended warranty...it new! Call roadside assistance. Road side takes it to the nearest Ford dealer. They look at it. The warning lights are most likely a wheel sensor...but they can't tell what wheel it is....the rattle....a vvt valve issue...which require removing everything around the engine to get to valves. 20+ hour job! They say they will work on it as soon as they can. 4 days later...bolts are on back order...nationwide. My bronco has been in service for 50 days untouched. I hadn't been able to drive it almost 2 weeks before it was towed so inoperable for 60+ days.

Ford customer service is crap. It been approved for buyback a while ago. What's next? Nothing...its approved is the only response I get. Anyone else stuck in buyback cloud?
Start your own thread maybe the Ford bot will help. Sorry to hear about your issues with the Bronco. I can’t imagine your frustration. Wishing you the best.
Sponsored