First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
9/26 build week, 4dr wildtrack. After receiving my bronco at the end of October we drove it till middle of January before the cam phasers started to rattle. It was at the dealership until the first of May. During that time they had to pull the engine twice because it jumped timing on their first attempt to repair. Finally get the vehicle and has been fine, until today when it started flashing engine light and lossed all power. Left us stranded on the side of the interstate. Had it towed to the nearest dealership and rented a hotel. I’ll talk to them tomorrow about pursuing the lemon law.
Sponsored

Imonamoose

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Moose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
9/26 build week, 4dr wildtrack. After receiving my bronco at the end of October we drove it till middle of January before the cam phasers started to rattle. It was at the dealership until the first of May. During that time they had to pull the engine twice because it jumped timing on their first attempt to repair. Finally get the vehicle and has been fine, until today when it started flashing engine light and lossed all power. Left us stranded on the side of the interstate. Had it towed to the nearest dealership and rented a hotel. I’ll talk to them tomorrow about pursuing the lemon law.
What was your milage at the initial cam failure?

You are in the same build window as a few of us on this thread.

Imonamoose

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Moose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A little over 4000 miles when it’s started to rattle. Just over 10000 today when it died.
Do you have the warranty service paperwork that you would be willing to share listing what parts ware replaced? Knowledge is power.

I feel like we should get a shared dock going for this thread to track all these failures. If we can narrow down to specific batches maybe we can get some proper response from Ford Corp.

shervin

Wildtrak
First Name
Shervin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Same thing started happening to my 22 Wildtrack at 8K a couple of days ago. Anyone knows how long a repair for this takes these days?
Wrapping this up here. It took my service shop three weeks to get it done. I took it back today so technically I haven't tested it yet. I'll know if it's fixed or not tomorrow.

The dealership didn't offer a rental. I opened a case with Ford and since my car was under warranty they rented me one.

Communication was lacking at the beginning, no info about what was wrong, where they were in the repair process, etc. But after I became a pain in the neck by calling and messaging, things got better. One thing they told me was that the survey that I filled out with low ratings made them change their ways. I always thought they never pay attention to those. I was upset and filled out the survey honestly. :)

The list of things that have been replaced is massive. Apparently, they had to take the engine out to get the repair done. They didn't have to but they said it was easier.

All in all, it wasn't a pleasant experience, but I am glad I got my Brocno back.

I hope @Ford fixes this issue permanently and no one else goes through this.

Sponsored

Mojave Norte

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4WD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
All good. I totally understand that phaser failure at 6k miles is not something anyone wants to deal with.
Are you seeing these cam phaser failures to be widespread in the 2.7 ? Maybe in the Ford service technicians forum ?
What percentage of the engines do you think are failing ? Way less than 1% ?
Are they Bronco only ?
Or F-150 also ?

Here in B6g the 2.7 owners have been reporting these almost 2-years now. So they don't seem confined to any range of build-dates. And after the major repairs are done some owners have engine failure again several months later ( e.g. @MNRiderTTU )
Are you seeing these repeated failures frequently ?

Do you think the 2.7L is somehow risky or fragile in the cam phaser design ?
Why are so many owners having these failures ?

After delivery it seems the cam phasers can run fine for months and then somehow they go out of adjustment. You wonder if the 2.7L design is somehow non-robust or fragile, unreliable

HBTFD

Black Diamond
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Are you seeing these cam phaser failures to be widespread in the 2.7 ? Maybe in the Ford service technicians forum ?
Are they Bronco only ?
Or F-150 also ?

Here in B6g the 2.7 owners have been reporting these almost 2-years now. So they don't seem confined to any range of build-dates. And after the major repairs are done some owners have engine failure again several months later ( e.g. @MNRiderTTU )

After delivery it seems the cam phasers can run fine for months and then somehow they go out of adjustment. You wonder if the 2.7L design is somehow non-robust or fragile, unreliable
The 5.4 and 3.5 are known for cam phaser failures. Plenty of other manufacturers “cam phasers” fail.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Are they Bronco only ?
Or F-150 also ?

They're pretty widespread on all 6 cylinder Ecoboosts, not just 2.7 and not just Bronco. It has been an issue for years. I have no idea what the percentage is, but so far it has been decently low. The dealership I work at has only had a handful in the last 3 years.
Some seem to have the problem, others don't.
I have 20K miles on my 2.7 and it has been flawless, but we have had other ones in the shop with less than 1k miles with very bad phaser rattle.
As far as repeat repairs, I haven't seen any on a Bronco. But it's still a little early to tell if that will be an issue going forward.
Either way, it's not something I would really worry about if considering purchasing a 2.7 Bronco.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Much appreciated

So problems here & there for any engine with multiple camshafts

I guess the 2.3L I-4 has no cam-phasers since there's only one camshaft I believe
2.3 does have phasers on both its camshafts, but it’s a different type of design.

Sponsored

HBTFD

Black Diamond
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Then it seems those cam phaser designs are non-robust, fragile, unreliable

Do Honda and Toyota have many cam phaser failures ?
I have a friend whose accord had the “cam phaser” replaced under warranty. No manufacturer discloses warranty data.

Mojave Norte

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4WD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
2.3 does have phasers on both its camshafts, but it’s a different type of design
That's right they're both dual over-head cam (DOHC). So the 2.3L has two camshafts, and the 2.7L has four camshafts across two separate cylinder heads

In the 2.7 it must be more trouble to synchronise the two separate cylinder heads

Sorta makes sense that synchronising two camshafts in one cylinder head might not be so hard. But synchronising four camshafts across the two separate cylinder heads could be more trouble

This could explain why the cam phaser problems show-up in the 6-cylinder engines

Derecho

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The 2.7 valve dropping issue was all it took for me to change order to 2.3
Same here, had planned 2.7 build from July '20 reservation. Then November '21 changed order to go with 2.3 - then got scheduled couple months later

And the 2.3L is a total BEAST ! ! !
Has a lot more power than I need

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Can you confirm the total number of camshafts in the 2.7L engine

? Any info how the cam phasers are synchronised between the two cylinder heads on the 2.7 ?

Seems this is the common thread between the 6-cylinder engines. They all have two cylinder heads instead of just one on the I-4 engines
4 cams for a 2.7
As far as how phasers work, there are probably some decent youtube videos that would help you understand how everything works. Typing out the description and operation would take a while to explain lol
Sponsored