First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ok just got back from the dealership to pick up my bronco from cam phaser replacement, dropped off 7/25, parts arrived 8/18 from backorder, picked up today 8/24. Havent really had any time yet to really go over it but seemed fine on the drive home. Here is the full parts list from my service, i know a few people have been asking for this. Let me know if you guys have any questions and ill try to answer best i can
Ford Bronco Another cam phaser failure, horrible Ford quality issue Receipt_2023-08-24_160358
Sponsored

Tacnav#1

Badlands
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge AWD, F-150, Dodge Challenger R/T
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Are you seeing these cam phaser failures to be widespread in the 2.7 ? Maybe in the Ford service technicians forum ?
What percentage of the engines do you think are failing ? Way less than 1% ?
Are they Bronco only ?
Or F-150 also ?

Here in B6g the 2.7 owners have been reporting these almost 2-years now. So they don't seem confined to any range of build-dates. And after the major repairs are done some owners have engine failure again several months later ( e.g. @MNRiderTTU )
Are you seeing these repeated failures frequently ?

Do you think the 2.7L is somehow risky or fragile in the cam phaser design ?
Why are so many owners having these failures ?

After delivery it seems the cam phasers can run fine for months and then somehow they go out of adjustment. You wonder if the 2.7L design is somehow non-robust or fragile, unreliable
It's a common problem with the 2.7, 3.0 and 3.5 Ecoboost motors. I just had them replaced in my wifes 2017 F-150 (3.5 Ecoboost) with 75,000 miles. It cost me $3,600 for the repair, including a new battery and belts since it was already apart.
I have a 2022 Badland with the 2.7 and haven't had any issues so far 25,000 miles. I was a 1/07/2022 build.

Lksamm

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Same thing started happening to my 22 Wildtrack at 8K a couple of days ago. Anyone knows how long a repair for this takes these days?
I brought mine in two weeks ago. They are just swapping the engine. Should have it back early next week.

shervin

Wildtrak
First Name
Shervin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I brought mine in two weeks ago. They are just swapping the engine. Should have it back early next week.
Seems a bit extreme to me. AFAIK there is a lot involved in changing cam phasers but it shouldn't require an engine swap. tbf I don't own a Raptor.

Sponsored

MNRiderTTU

Wildtrak
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
9/26 build week, 4dr wildtrack. After receiving my bronco at the end of October we drove it till middle of January before the cam phasers started to rattle. It was at the dealership until the first of May. During that time they had to pull the engine twice because it jumped timing on their first attempt to repair. Finally get the vehicle and has been fine, until today when it started flashing engine light and lossed all power. Left us stranded on the side of the interstate. Had it towed to the nearest dealership and rented a hotel. I’ll talk to them tomorrow about pursuing the lemon law.
Picked up my bronco today after they dropped in a reman long block. Everything seemed good on the long drive home. The out of town dealership had great service! After reading the work report it’s pretty clear that the initial phaser repairs weren’t done properly and that led to my engine failure. I still have decided if I will try to get out of this bronco and into a 2.3l that I won’t have to worry about the rattle coming back.

Imonamoose

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Moose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Picked up my bronco today after they dropped in a reman long block. Everything seemed good on the long drive home. The out of town dealership had great service! After reading the work report it’s pretty clear that the initial phaser repairs weren’t done properly and that led to my engine failure. I still have decided if I will try to get out of this bronco and into a 2.3l that I won’t have to worry about the rattle coming back.
Thank you for the update. I appreciate you taking the time.

Lksamm

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Well Ford replaced my engine quickly in under two weeks. Drove it three days and found myself creeping down the freeway with a blinking engine light and having it stall at every traffic light. Got it to the ford dealership. No service on the weekend so without a rental or loaner again. Really loosing faith in the raptor after 5,000 miles. How am I suppose to be confident with driving off road? Anyone worked with ford through the lemon law process? Don't really want a buyback because I only paid 73,800 for 2023 Braptor.

0ne

Base
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Flex
Your Bronco Model
Base
Well Ford replaced my engine quickly in under two weeks. Drove it three days and found myself creeping down the freeway with a blinking engine light and having it stall at every traffic light. Got it to the ford dealership. No service on the weekend so without a rental or loaner again. Really loosing faith in the raptor after 5,000 miles. How am I suppose to be confident with driving off road? Anyone worked with ford through the lemon law process? Don't really want a buyback because I only paid 73,800 for 2023 Braptor.
3oh has phaser probs too? 🤦‍♂️

Sponsored

TCB-1

Black Diamond
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Black Diamond, '06 Scion xB, '61 Impala
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Always wondered what it would take for this known issue to be rectified once and for all. Class action law suit? Since most are fixed under warranty, those numbers are recorded somehow, someway. I know in my line of work, this kind of failure would bring with it, failure analysis and rectification. But that would also mean that we admit the past and future issues with said part. I think that's where we are at, if Ford admits an issue, they would be out a boatload of money. And that would cut into their precious EV research, lol

Then again, maybe it's the percentage of failure compared to the percentage of engines that are fine until they get out of the warranty period. In that case to Ford it's just a, "let's just hope that this storm blows over before the warranty runs out". Which in that case is just sad.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

DEC

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 640, Mustang Bullitt, Mazda 3, Honda Accord,
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Can you try another dealer this time ?
The service dept that replaced your first engine could be flaky ?
If possible I'd prob try another dealer

Dealer quality has a wide range. Some are great. Some are lousy
Another will not touch it if they find some crappy work from the previous dealer. Pinched wiring harness, unplugged hoses and stuff lake that.
Don’t ask me how I know.

• Sad
Reactions: 0ne

Lksamm

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

3oh has phaser probs too? 🤦‍♂️
They told me that it was either a timing chain or phaser issue. I'm not a mechanic, but it sounded just like the YouTube video of the rattle when the CAM phaser is going out. Crazy thing is when I asked if Ford would provide me with a report once the engineers look at the bad Engine I was told no. Less than 3 days driving with the engine replaced I basically died on the side of the road so its back in the dealership awaiting a response from Ford on what to do. Bronco was blinking engine light and I barely made it to the dealership..

• Wow
Reactions: 0ne

0ne

Base
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Flex
Your Bronco Model
Base
They told me that it was either a timing chain or phaser issue. I'm not a mechanic, but it sounded just like the YouTube video of the rattle when the CAM phaser is going out. Crazy thing is when I asked if Ford would provide me with a report once the engineers look at the bad Engine I was told no. Less than 3 days driving with the engine replaced I basically died on the side of the road so its back in the dealership awaiting a response from Ford on what to do. Bronco was blinking engine light and I barely made it to the dealership..
We’re all R&D mules, connected vehicle “services” confirms that but the electrical/mechanical voodoo and secrecy is disheartening. 🤞🍀
Sponsored