First Name
Moose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just got the rattle myself, 23 Bronco Badlands 2.7L 3500mi. Took to dealership and sure enough its the cam phaser issue. Surprisingly they said parts were available and would start the work later this week. Said they would probably need to keep the vehicle for the next 10 days but would hook me up with a loaner in the meantime. Let you guys know when i get it back if i have any issues.....but JFC never thought id be having open heart surgery on my bronco after 6 months
I'm sorry buddy, when was your build/delivery date? Mine and the other guys are both Nov 22 deliveries. I'm thinking this is a batch issue.

My dealer told me they had all the parts when I first called them about it. That was a lie. Still waiting and the service tech just keeps brushing me off when I ask about them and a time frame. I hope your dealer is not like mine.

The delaers Mechanic told me he can do the repair in 4 days but dealer service tech told me they will need it for over a week. Never got any clarification or answers why...

Definitely an icy dagger having to pull engine at 6k. I feel your pain.
Sponsored

Imonamoose

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Moose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What happens to the engine other than noise? Does it cause premature wear due to cam position off, or is it just a noise issue?
I have been told by my dealer service tech and mechanic that it will cause no long term wear on any parts that are not already being changed out for the warranty work.

Take that for what it's worth.... vehicle operates fine otherwise so I have been using it daily and have had no other issues.

samdogg87

Badlands
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
i was 12/22/22 build, delivered 1/4/23 so yea could be a batch issue but theres been a bunch of older broncos having the same issues as us so seems like it hasnt been figured out yet. Just curious if they released a revised part for this fix or is it just the same part and hoping for a better batch? gotta imagine the invoices ford is receiving for these monster repairs from dealers is going to get noticed soon if it hasnt already

as far as part availability i will keep you all posted if i was lied to or they really do have the parts available, funny thing was that dealer told me ford only approves loaner/rental for 10 days so they hope to get it done by then otherwise they got to ask for approval to extend but that sure as shit isnt going to be my problem, they arent getting theyre loaner back until i have my bronco and its put back together correctly šŸ˜‚

Imonamoose

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Moose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
i was 12/22/22 build, delivered 1/4/23 so yea could be a batch issue but theres been a bunch of older broncos having the same issues as us so seems like it hasnt been figured out yet. Just curious if they released a revised part for this fix or is it just the same part and hoping for a better batch? gotta imagine the invoices ford is receiving for these monster repairs from dealers is going to get noticed soon if it hasnt already

as far as part availability i will keep you all posted if i was lied to or they really do have the parts available, funny thing was that dealer told me ford only approves loaner/rental for 10 days so they hope to get it done by then otherwise they got to ask for approval to extend but that sure as shit isnt going to be my problem, they arent getting theyre loaner back until i have my bronco and its put back together correctly šŸ˜‚
I dug into the 2.7 part iteration question a little bit on the f150 forums and it looks like of the front and rear parts for the cam phasers there have been 2 and 3 iterations respectively.

It does not appear to me that the problem has been engineered out of the parts and instead ford is counting these as acceptable losses and is just reinstalling the same model of part that just failed.

I would love if someone could correct me on this information.

Sponsored

Charles Miller

Badlands
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon Bronco 2021
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
NEED HELP! I live in the Bay Area and have the cam phaser issue. Very loud on cold starts, and you can now hear it even after an hour of sitting. Frontier Ford and Capital Ford tell me they hear a noise, but it is normal. Thatā€™s ridiculous; it wasnā€™t there before it started. Iā€™m trying Morgan Hill next. Can I get a recommendation anywhere in the Bay Area that might have experience with this issue? See video.

OP
OP
Mpali

Mpali

Wildtrak
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Same thing started happening to my 22 Wildtrack at 8K a couple of days ago. Anyone knows how long a repair for this takes these days?
Depends on availability of all gaskets parts and bolts. 9 weeks for me
NEED HELP! I live in the Bay Area and have the cam phaser issue. Very loud on cold starts, and you can now hear it even after an hour of sitting. Frontier Ford and Capital Ford tell me they hear a noise, but it is normal. Thatā€™s ridiculous; it wasnā€™t there before it started. Iā€™m trying Morgan Hill next. Can I get a recommendation anywhere in the Bay Area that might have experience with this issue? See video.

100 % cam phasers. Had the same noise and problem. There are more and more people getting this issue. Took dealer 9 weeks to get fixed due to parts. Take it to a different dealer or contact Ford directly.

samdogg87

Badlands
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
UPDATE: dealer called and said they have all the parts in EXCEPT a $2 gasket thats backordered until 8/23! šŸ˜‚šŸ˜­ so i wont have my bronco till at least end of august, i guess the only good news is they are extending my loaner until its done

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

UPDATE: dealer called and said they have all the parts in EXCEPT a $2 gasket thats backordered until 8/23! šŸ˜‚šŸ˜­ so i wont have my bronco till at least end of august, i guess the only good news is they are extending my loaner until its done
Did they say which gasket it is?

samdogg87

Badlands
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Did they say which gasket it is?
no and i didnt ask, im sure i could source it myself faster but its the principle of it, shouldnt have to do it for them

on the bright side i have a 23 F150 to put miles on for a month and can knock out some projects that i wont have to borrow a truck for to get done, gas mileage is a little better than my sas badlands anyway šŸ˜‚

Sponsored

shervin

Wildtrak
First Name
Shervin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Mine has been with Galpin for 3 days. Still they havenā€™t confirmed the issue. I had to complain directly to Ford to get a loaner after 3 days. And thatā€™s only for 10 days. This is horrible.

Imonamoose

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Moose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Howā€™s your Bronco doing? Any new news?
Hey, hope you have had some traction on your warranty work and are back behind the wheel by now!

Just got an update on my end, received word from service tech today that all the parts are confirmed to be in and they are ready to go with all that stuff. (Two month wait.)

Now I am waiting for a service window. Service tech informed me there are 15 vehicles waiting for work currently and since my rig is still driving and otherwise operating fine he wants me to wait until these other vehicles have been completed before schedualing mine... the saga of the phaser failure continues.

Last edited:

56huck

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My cam phaser also failed. December ā€˜21 build, Badlands, 2.7l, SAS, lux, 25k miles. The dealership identified the problem a few weeks ago, but the mechanic that does this kind of work was booked for quite a while. I understand the engine has to be removed. The dealership said it was ok to drive, even though it rattles like crazy on start up. Iā€™m glad it will be fixed under warranty, but am disappointed that it already needs such a major repair.

Lksamm

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Hi there, Mike. This cam phaser concern doesnā€™t sound like something we want you to experience with your Bronco. Could you please send us a PM with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer? I'd be happy to look into how I can assist you on my end.
I was told today that my 2023 Braptor needs it engine replaced after only 3 month and 5,000 miles. Same rattle cam phaser timing chain. Pretty frustrated.