Sponsored

Another Goodyear Rock Throwing Thread...

dhut2022

Base
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Genesis
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Instead of a rant, this one is a theoretical question. For those of you that have the Territory MTs and are MOSTLY on road driving, do you still have problems with rock throwing?

I live a long way from any OHV trails and therefore will be mostly on pavement (insert mall crawler joke) so I don't want to pull the trigger on mud flaps until I absolutely have to...
Sponsored

BulldogBear

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands, 2000 Mercedes-Benz G500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I haven't had much of an issue on road.

Off-road it's a different story - I'm probably going to have to put on some flaps and cough up some $$$ for some PPF on the doors if I don't change the tires soon.

Last edited:

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm running the Goodyears until they're worn out. My GoRhino D6 steps have stopped the majority of them. I also added RokBlokz to the front and back with intent to remove the rears prior to some adventuring, but leaving them on for daily driving.

DaveH

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Ford Focus, 98 Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was on my maiden voyage home from picking up my brand new Bronco at the dealer and drove through a construction zone. The wheels picked up and threw a bunch of rocks. I was cringing at every rock, but I think they were mostly hitting the wheel wells. I could not find any scratches on the doors, but I installed mudflaps a couple of days later.

Sponsored

jsteph262

Outer Banks
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Mine picks up and throws rocks after driving over a road that's under construction by my place. I'm not even driving down the road, just across it. I do have some flaps on mine so I don't think it gets to the doors at all but I still hate having them go flying into the wheels wells.

AKBronc49

Outer Banks
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 F150,02 Excursion,06 Chrysler 300C,21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
My driveway is RAP and they throw rocks every time I leave the house. Running boards and mud flaps, no rock chips on the sides. I'll run them until they need replacing and put some A/T's on.

Thiskers

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm not picking as many up as expected on the road, even in road construction areas. But I have a few times, the rock rails didn't prevent everything and did have a rock hit the door. I put some flaps on to help protect the paint. They come off easy enough.

Lak34ers

Big Bend
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

My driveway is RAP and they throw rocks every time I leave the house. Running boards and mud flaps, no rock chips on the sides. I'll run them until they need replacing and put some A/T's on.
Instead of a rant, this one is a theoretical question. For those of you that have the Territory MTs and are MOSTLY on road driving, do you still have problems with rock throwing?

I live a long way from any OHV trails and therefore will be mostly on pavement (insert mall crawler joke) so I don't want to pull the trigger on mud flaps until I absolutely have to...
I have read all the stories about gravel/rocks being picked up by the Territory MTs so right away after delivery I did purchase Gatorbacks and now I also have IAG full length steps. I have noticed just a few rocks through construction sites or chip seal road projects.....BUT I did go into the mountains last week on gravel for about 1 mile up to a local lake. WOW my tires were at least 1/2 full of rocks when I got back down the mountain. On the drive back home about 1. 5 hours of freeway rocks were pinging like crazy flying off the tires. I have KO2s on my F150 and not nearly as much gravel from doing the same drive.
1. I would get flaps at a minimum. My bronco is black so it will show everything if I don't protect it.
2. If I didn't have flaps I would have been shooting gravel at 75 miles an hour at cars. I just don't want to be that guy. I see them go buy me with huge lifted vehicles and no flaps and hold my breath. Already 2 chips on my windshield.

From my recent experience the gravel/rock issue is real. I plan to drive the MTs until they wear out. I actually don't mind the Gatorbacks and it helps the Bronco in the PNW when we have rain and mud most days so a short drive can mean splatter all up your doors and on the side. Just my 2 cents.

rtazz17

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford bronco big bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I hate mudflaps but I hate snow/mud/rocks hitting my doors too. I put them on front only. You will throw rocks with any big tread tire whether you off road or not. I f you live in snow belt you will cover your doors and handles with snow/mud/dirt. ...Rock rails do very little to help anything. Without front mud flaps that big door chip is coming at some point.

Sponsored

Deleted member 21681

We were in a cabin down in Red River Gorge, KY a week or two ago. Long, hilly gravel roads. Feels like I took most of the gravel with me lol. Accelerating on the paved road afterward sounded like I was under attack. Most hit the wheel well/underbody. I have a few small gouges on my rear fender flares, but I donā€™t mind. Thought I would, given that Iā€™ve only had my baby for about 3 weeks/3k milesā€¦ but honestly, Iā€™ve started to accept (and agree) that dirt and a few nicks are what this vehicle was built for (and A51 looks great when dirty). Iā€™m thinking about pulling the trigger on the (removable) IAG full steps, which should help and might add some mud flaps if I can find an easy solution that I like that wonā€™t make me cry if they get destroyed. Iā€™m also considering switching to ko2 ATs this fall to better cope with winter conditions here in OH. I havenā€™t noticed much problem with throwing anything during my 35-mile drive (interstate and country highways) to the office each day. If youā€™re not going to be running over a lot of small rocks too frequently, I think youā€™ll probably be fine without mudflaps (snow will still prob be a thing, but I canā€™t comment on that yet).
That being said, I have a habit of pulling off into any muddy road I come across and I gotta sayā€¦ itā€™s super fun to pull back onto the pavement and pelt tailgaters (and my own doors) with mud. It really flies. Iā€™m usually a pretty conscientious driver, but Iā€™d be lying if I said I didnā€™t find it funny.

(ā€œAssured distanceā€, folks! If youā€™re trying to send a message, be prepared to receive one right back! /endrant)

Last edited by a moderator:

dan79

Big Bend
First Name
dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 f250
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I'm running the Goodyears until they're worn out. My GoRhino D6 steps have stopped the majority of them. I also added RokBlokz to the front and back with intent to remove the rears prior to some adventuring, but leaving them on for daily driving.
same as me the steps block rocks well i still wince every time i hear them tho

BigBadBluBronc

Badlands
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands, 1997 XJ Jeep Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So glad I installed by GatorBack mud flaps before my first off pavement adventure. The Goodyear's certainly pick up and throw a lot of rocks. It sounded horrible, but the flaps protected my doors, not a single ding.

Ford Bronco Another Goodyear Rock Throwing Thread... Trans WI Trail_6

BroncoB

First Edition
First Name
Christine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Yes, get mud flaps if youā€™re concerned about it. I have chips in my doors and rockers from rocks in the road. It only takes one time.

Lak34ers

Big Bend
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

We were in a cabin down in Red River Gorge, KY a week or two ago. Long, hilly gravel roads. Feels like I took most of the gravel with me lol. Accelerating on the paved road afterward sounded like I was under attack. Most hit the wheel well/underbody. I have a few small gouges on my rear fender flares, but I donā€™t mind. Thought I would, given that Iā€™ve only had my baby for about 3 weeks/3k milesā€¦ but honestly, Iā€™ve started to accept (and agree) that dirt and a few nicks are what this vehicle was built for (and A51 looks great when dirty). Iā€™m thinking about pulling the trigger on the (removable) IAG full steps, which should help and might add some mud flaps if I can find an easy solution that I like that wonā€™t make me cry if they get destroyed. Iā€™m also considering switching to ko2 ATs this fall to better cope with winter conditions here in OH. I havenā€™t noticed much problem with throwing anything during my 35-mile drive (interstate and country highways) to the office each day. If youā€™re not going to be running over a lot of small rocks too frequently, I think youā€™ll probably be fine without mudflaps (snow will still prob be a thing, but I canā€™t comment on that yet).
That being said, I have a habit of pulling off into any muddy road I come across and I gotta sayā€¦ itā€™s super fun to pull back onto the pavement and pelt tailgaters (and my own doors) with mud. It really flies. Iā€™m usually a pretty conscientious driver, but Iā€™d be lying if I said I didnā€™t find it funny.

(ā€œAssured distanceā€, folks! If youā€™re trying to send a message, be prepared to receive one right back! /endrant)
IAG Full steps are nice!

IAG Full Steps are really nice and super easy to take on and off.

20220710_193009.jpg

20220710_193035.jpg
Sponsored