Sponsored

Any Dash-cam suggestions for Bronco? Can I use Bronco camera as Dash-cam?

djp

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
djp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands 4dr || '21 Bronco Sport BigBend
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Have to follow this thread. I plan to wire a dash cam to an aux switch.

First, I really need those switches to do something or I'll go insane.

Second, I basically live on a gravel access road that Google thinks is a nice paved road. When some jackass wrecks into me, I want some proof!
you dont really want it on an aux switch.

it should be on when car is on, thus constantly record.

youre going to have yourself when you get slammed into the day you forgot to "flip the switch"

(speaking from a friends experience)
Sponsored

AzScorpion

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew Lariat 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My biggest interest in a dash/rear cam is the parking mode feature. I am ok with spending a good amount of $ by maintaining the peace of mind that my Bronco is being monitored while I'm not there.

Here are a couple cams I am considering, and any experienced feedback on these models would be greatly appreciated:

https://us.thinkware.com/q800pro/
https://www.viofo.com/en/home/149-v...-rear-dual-channel-wi-fi-gps-dash-camera.html
https://us.thinkware.com/u1000/
https://www.vantrue.net/Goods/detail/gid/29.html

The Blackvue suggestion also looks like a solid option and I'm adding that to my list too.
https://blackvue.com/product/dr750x-2ch-plus/
I just ordered the Thinkware U1000 and it's on sale now until Sunday.They are on backorder and will arrive by May 21. I also went with the ODB cable as it's an easier instal. It has a switch on the front to turn it on/off which is nice if you're just going to have your vehicle parked in the garage for a few days there's no reason to video the wall. I don't leave my vehicles parked anywhere for extended periods so I didn't get the radar module or the iVolt battery but they're easy to add later if you need them.

I've spent a lot of time looking into these 4K cams and we have a thread over on the Ranger site about them. They all have their good and bad but the Thinkware looks to have the best clarity and a few guys have them and love it. There's no use having a dash cam if you can't read the license plate or the pictures are grainy. Here's a couple videos showing the difference between 3 different 4K cams and a review/install on the U1000.

https://www.blackboxmycar.com/produ...channel-cloud-dash-cam?variant=30097959321655

Reaper

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I just purchased my first Bronco mod, is a camera a mod?, and it was the dr750x-2ch plus. It seemed like a good middle of the road option. I’ll let you know when I get’er in the mule.

92FEDA67-891F-40A6-A591-C74BFC4DFB27.jpeg

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does anyone know which dash camera make and model Ford uses in their accessory catalogue (for the front facing camera)? I’m pretty sure it’s a ThinkWare but curious which model.

Thanks!

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just purchased my first Bronco mod, is a camera a mod?, and it was the dr750x-2ch plus. It seemed like a good middle of the road option. I’ll let you know when I get’er in the mule.

Ford Bronco Any Dash-cam suggestions for Bronco?    Can I use Bronco camera as Dash-cam? 92FEDA67-891F-40A6-A591-C74BFC4DFB27
I have a Blackvue 650GW 1-CH on my current vehicle, and I’ve had it for a few years on multiple vehicles. It’s been great and I still find it to be fantastic quality, even though it’s not a brand new camera. Sure, it’s not 4K but it’s still HD. Enjoy your Blackvue!

Sponsored

Dogula

Heritage
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS Badlands, 2023 CHALLENGER Shaker Widebody
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
The C8 Corvette PDR (performance data recorder) can be used as a dash cam and video can be stored on a SD card. Video at 1:50 & 5:29. If Chevy can do it, so can Ford.

BroncoBoy22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang GT 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The C8 Corvette PDR (performance data recorder) can be used as a dash cam and video can be stored on a SD card. Video at 1:50 & 5:29. If Chevy can do it, so can Ford.
This is easily what they should do from the factory

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is easily what they should do from the factory
Give it time… I bet most manufacturers do, like some of the safety features we take for granted today. I would be shocked if this wasn’t mandated, like a back-up camera is.

Raskew

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco, 2018 Stinger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It does not appear as though you can use the built-in 360 cameras at this point as a dash camera.

In the Bronco accessory catalog there are Ford dash cameras listed. They are the ones that you can already buy from ford for their other vehicles, which include integrated wiring harnesses for a clean plug-and-play install.

No idea how they intend to mount the rear camera considering the rear window is removable (and not always glass).

One could hope that an OTA update to Sync4 would enable the use of the 360 cameras for dash cam use... but I haven't heard of any plans for that (and you would have to solve the video storage issue... maybe with an attached USB drive of suitable speed.. but that's a pipe dream for me right now).

Screen Shot 2021-03-24 at 14.56.14.png

The breakdown of those are:

C - Front facing only
D - Front and Rear Facing
E - Front and Driver Facing
Tried to order these cameras from my local Ford dealership today and they advised that they would not sell them to me because they have had too many problems with them in the past and the problem still hasn’t been fixed.

has anyone else heard of these problems?

Last edited:

Zeke013

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Anyone know if this will work on the Bronco?
Plugs into the auto dimming rear view mirror and provides USB power.

“”SimpleUSBPort Automotive Mirror to Dashcam Voltage Converter (16-pin, Select Ford Vehicles)

Ford Bronco Any Dash-cam suggestions for Bronco?    Can I use Bronco camera as Dash-cam? 92FEDA67-891F-40A6-A591-C74BFC4DFB27
This Dongar Technologies adapter works. Listed on their site as working with the F-150. Installed today on my Bronco and it works great.

https://www.dongartechnologies.com/product/ford/

It's powering a Garmin Mini 2.

Sponsored

BadBoyBroncoBilly

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E150 Adventure Van, Chevrolet Spark
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am surprised they don't have this option for people with integrated cameras. It would be a HUGE up sale on vehicles. It shouldn't be that hard of a software upgrade to integrate this option on the factory system and have an area to install a small plug and play hard drive.

Zeke013

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am surprised they don't have this option for people with integrated cameras. It would be a HUGE up sale on vehicles. It shouldn't be that hard of a software upgrade to integrate this option on the factory system and have an area to install a small plug and play hard drive.
My Tesla does just that. Just add a USB drive. The presence of a dashcam is comforting.

XCR440

Badlands
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, 22 Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just ordered the Thinkware U1000 and it's on sale now until Sunday.They are on backorder and will arrive by May 21. I also went with the ODB cable as it's an easier instal. It has a switch on the front to turn it on/off which is nice if you're just going to have your vehicle parked in the garage for a few days there's no reason to video the wall. I don't leave my vehicles parked anywhere for extended periods so I didn't get the radar module or the iVolt battery but they're easy to add later if you need them.

I've spent a lot of time looking into these 4K cams and we have a thread over on the Ranger site about them. They all have their good and bad but the Thinkware looks to have the best clarity and a few guys have them and love it. There's no use having a dash cam if you can't read the license plate or the pictures are grainy. Here's a couple videos showing the difference between 3 different 4K cams and a review/install on the U1000

https://www.blackboxmycar.com/produ...channel-cloud-dash-cam?variant=30097959321655

I've got the U1000 in my Mustang and really like it, I think its the best of the 4k dash cams. Only issue is the shape. It works fine in my Mustang, but I didn't like it in my wife's Explorer since the box around the mirror for the collision assist/rain sensor/etc makes it hard to fit. We run a Q800 in it since the tube style hides behind the mirror better.

CO-Bronco

Badlands
First Name
CO-Bronco
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 - 4dr - Cyber Orange - Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This Dongar Technologies adapter works. Listed on their site as working with the F-150. Installed today on my Bronco and it works great.

https://www.dongartechnologies.com/product/ford/

It's powering a Garmin Mini 2.
Not a bad idea at all, although most dashcams that I'm looking at has a "Parking" mode which requires constant 12V from the battery. If I'm running that wire to the fusebox to a fuse-tap then I may as well run the ignition powered wire as well.

XirallicBolts

Outer Banks
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Flex EcoBoost, 2010 Milan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Biggest thing I want to know is what kind of fuses Ford uses nowadays. I tried putting a dashcam in my work Silverado and found it used all oddball fuses -- triple-legs, M-case, etc. None of my add-a-fuse kits matched.

I'm leaning towards a Blackvue for the image quality but I hate how they nickle and dime you on the features. GPS and parking mode is included in crappy counterfeit cameras but it's an added cost on Blackvue.

My Mini0807 has decent quality but the capacitor went bad and every week or so I have to reformat the card. It simply stops recording until I notice the light isn't flashing.
Sponsored