Sponsored

Any reason to stick with stealership for oil changes?

GroovyGeek

Black Diamond
First Name
Boyan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I always did oil changes on my 2014 JK at the stealership, since it was easy to crack the oil cooler housing by over-tightening the filter. My 2.7L Bronco is about to hit 6kmi and I want to do the first oil change. Rather than waste time with appointments and multi-hour waits at the dealer (or all day drop-offs), is there a reason I should not take it to a local oil change place and get it done in under an hour?
Sponsored

Billnchristy

Black Diamond
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bmw m440i gc,2022 BD 2dr, 1966 mustang
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It's so easy to do yourself I would recommend that.

If I do local places I bring my own shit, I know some places hate that but I don't want your drum of Joe's discount oil in my car.

j_4260

Badlands
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A3, Ducati M620, BMW GSA 1200
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you've got the time and you're handy, do it yourself.

Some days I don't mind getting under the Bronco, some days / weeks, I don't have the time, energy, or desire and getting it to the dealership is easy enough (for me).

I also use the dealership because they gave me a small service plan as a result of a few first-run production issues my Badlands has.

Sponsored

Ryslegit

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Price difference between diy and dealership isn't drastic so I prefer taking it in. It's also nice having a paper trail of work/service done in the event of warranty issues.

Not sure about dealers in the SD area but Gosch Ford in Temecula is pretty quick, turn around time is usually about an hour or so.

Mdozier

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 F250, 23 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For what it's worth, my dealer knows I prefer doing it myself; he said be sure and keep receipts for warranty purposes - just in case.

No idea if that works for a non-dealer shop as well.

Roger123

Badlands
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GC, '14 Yamaha Super Tenere
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I bring mine in as I have the points from buying it. Yea, it's a little inconvenient to drop off and pick up but not a huge deal. I'll do it myself once the points run out.

I've been changing oil for 45 years so it's not a huge deal, LOL.

TheShark

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 4DR Wildtrak, 2023 Maverick XLT FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Our local dealer is offering to come pick up the vehicle and drop it back off when it's done.

Sponsored

nwardoh

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I always did oil changes on my 2014 JK at the stealership, since it was easy to crack the oil cooler housing by over-tightening the filter. My 2.7L Bronco is about to hit 6kmi and I want to do the first oil change. Rather than waste time with appointments and multi-hour waits at the dealer (or all day drop-offs), is there a reason I should not take it to a local oil change place and get it done in under an hour?
My dealer provides a lifetime powertrain warranty for all new and "newer" used vehicles so I use them so they maintain all the service records for the factory warranty and the addon they give you. Dealers have to use approved oil, thats just common sense. They likely are all using Motorcraft which is premium quality made by ConocoPhillips. Most dealers also have pretty quick oil change turn arounds and lots have walk ins available.

kr_1315

Black Diamond
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Tundra, Explorer, IS500, '23 Bronco 2DR
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
DIY is simple. It is well worth it to learn how.

Ryan Feilner

Wildtrak
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I enjoy doing it myself and would rather use high quality oil at a fraction of what they charge. I'll save my points for t-shirts in he gift shop :)

Also, from a warranty perspective please note your Ford app has a place to track all "Maintenance" done to your vehicle. It will also show all your dealer visits in there too. So you can keep track of all personal and dealer services performed in order of completion. The information you enter is also transferable to the next owner, so no more glove box of paper you throw at the next buyer. You can also include pictures too!. I usually just list what I did/mileage, and then show a pic of the receipt for the oil/filter as an example and also reminds me what I used last time to be consistent.

It just kills me when you drop off your new car and some new to the job 18 yr old kid grabs your car to change your oil, since its newbie work.... Not everyone cares the way you do. 2 cents

ar1

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4dr WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I will do a mix of DIY and dealership - reason being I want to give them opportunities to discover any leaks or other issues that would be covered under warranty.
Sponsored