Sponsored

Anybody pulled over by cops for tires poking out from fender flares?

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ‘69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Personal experience says otherwise.

I was once pulled over for suspicion of DUI coming home from work because, and I quote the cop, ”you were driving too straight and evenly with the centerline.”

So, in my case, proper driving was the reason…
Yep, I always drive better when I’m stoned. Lol.
Sponsored

stampede1

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I agree tires should not stick out from flares too much, but if you upgrade a BD to 285 they will stick out a half an inch on BD 265 flares. I don't see a prob with that, but a cop driving revenue could.
If it violates the law, there is a reason the law was passed. Don't throw rocks or presume a ticket is written solely to generate revenue, your better than that.

mrjking2000

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco BadSasquatch, 2019 F-250 PowerStroker
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
laws are laws. not much you can do about it except abide by them.

generally in CO, if you don't break more than one law at time, you don't get looked at too much lol! but we have no tire/fender law that I know of.

BlueWaffle

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 bronco, and a trio of 80s GM's.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Yep, I always drive better when I’m stoned. Lol.
The ONE TIME I've been in an accident where I was the driver & it was my fault... I hadn't had a puff all day.

Scientific proof? Totally.

broncobase1

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base

I was once pulled over for suspicion of DUI coming home from work because, and I quote the cop, ”you were driving too straight and evenly with the centerline.”

I think you are missing something, officers must have probable cause to pull someone over. They can always find probable cause, driving "proper" isn't it. Driving unusually slow or cautious could be probable cause for DUI. Maybe probably meant you were hugging the centerline.

Sponsored

LarryBirdsFace

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I live in Maine which has a lot of trucks, and a lot of them modified, I have never seen anyone actually pulled over exclusively for poke. However, I have absolutely know of people who were pulled over for other things, like speeding etc, and then also given a violation for poke, especially if they give any attitude. If you have a 1/2 or 3/4 inch of poke I'm not sure most cops here would bat an eye, or even notice when you are actually driving.

mjcutri

Heritage
First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco HE
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

When you drive properly, you don't get pulled over.
Not according to my law enforcement friends.
Back in the 90's and 2000's, there were definitely a few precincts around the Pittsburgh area that were known to give tickets for "illegal equipment" such as tint on front windows, tires sticking out, exhaust too loud, illegal lighting, etc. It was a pure money grab and one precinct eventually got disbanded because of it. (Kilbuck Twp.)

My best friend in HS had a 1977 Scout and we got pulled over driving around one night because his taillights "weren't red enough." Apparently they had faded over time and the cop used that as an excuse. He gave him a warning and he had to replace the lenses and go to the police department to prove that he had done so.

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Any tickets for this are deserved tbh. Buy wheels with the proper offset or get extended flares

Sponsored

Desert_Brush

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mini Cooper
Your Bronco Model
Base

I've been pulled over twice and both times I was just walking. Once in Hollywood because LAPD thought I was some guy they were "looking" for. The second time was in my own neighborhood because other LAPD Officers happened to be "looking" for someone else again. My parents were also LASD at the time and weren't too happy with them.

Moral of the story is that they can find or make up any excuse to pull you over.

Rspayde

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 C/O Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

A buddy in PA said to me the state police were making it a point of enforcement - i.e. revenue. Worst state for Broncos. Only state you can't take OEM doors off. Tires must be covered completely and flares must not exceed body more than 3 inches. He says they never have enforced it. Even gets waives from cops with doors off illegally, but apparently the staties are cracking down. How do you drive a Raptor in PA? Anybody have problems with that? Thankfully most state laws are not this insane.
GA especially over in Gwinnett and Cobb got pretty bad there for awhile trying to crack down on street racing after meet ups. They were able to pull over your car just cause it looked or sounded a particular way. Not exactly the most popular of mandates as you could imagine.

RowsKing

Raptor
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 BRaptor, 66 Stang
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I think you are missing something, officers must have probable cause to pull someone over. They can always find probable cause, driving "proper" isn't it. Driving unusually slow or cautious could be probable cause for DUI. Maybe probably meant you were hugging the centerline.
Officers do not NEED probable cause to pull you over. They just need to MAKE UP probable cause to pull you over.

Last edited:

1st 75th ranger

Black Diamond
First Name
jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford bronco bd 4 dr sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
A buddy in PA said to me the state police were making it a point of enforcement - i.e. revenue. Worst state for Broncos. Only state you can't take OEM doors off. Tires must be covered completely and flares must not exceed body more than 3 inches. He says they never have enforced it. Even gets waives from cops with doors off illegally, but apparently the staties are cracking down. How do you drive a Raptor in PA? Anybody have problems with that? Thankfully most state laws are not this insane.
its is true laws in place for poke and tint and front plate in most states like nj
Sponsored