Sponsored

Anyone else change their driving habits after getting Bronco?

Dral97

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Wrangler YJ and 392, BMW 4 series
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Not with a Bronco, but I have with age. When I was a teenager/early twenties I was that guy who swerved in and out of busy highway traffic going 80 like I was some Mario Andretti. Luckily I made it though that phase without killing myself, or more importantly anyone else.

Now I find myself bitching about people riding my ass both on highways and on regular roads.

Edit: With that being said, I'm hopefully in the driver's seat of a new 392 in about a month. I'm going to need to develop some form of restraint.
Sponsored

Last edited:

KABQ

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'93 4Runner, '84 Vanagon, '93 Miata, '14 LittleGuy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'm not worried about saving fuel, but I'm driving slower to try to respect the break-in period (only 730 more miles to go). Not exceeding 3k is actually pretty easy since it has so much more power on tap than my 4Runner did, even at low RPM.

jacknifetoaswan

Wildtrak
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I’m learning to drive slower. Coming from a 5.0 Mustang this thing is a lot heavier and takes a lot more distance to stop 😁
I'm in the same boat. I picked my Bronco up a week ago, and drove it 1000+ miles home. Then I had to drive my wife's C300 AMG to the airport to pick up my Mustang GT/PP. What a complete change of pace. I haven't driven either of those cars since the weekend, and I'm definitely driving more slowly in the Bronco. I mean, 35" tires and a high suspension doesn't make it easy to drive with hustle.

I guess when I'm in the mood for banging gears, I'll take the Mustang.

JR

helifino16

Wildtrak
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Dodge Challenger, 2007 FLHTC "Classic"
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I take the LONG way home. Windows open, top off, wind in my hair, smiling broadly. So yeah, my driving habits are dramatically different after waiting more than 650 days (from reservation) for this to get to me.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nope, I've been driving like the age my beaded seat covers make me look since before the Bronco. Turns out you save a lot of money on fuel, tickets, and insurance by not being an asshat.

Sponsored

Cable Guy

Badlands
First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi RS7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am awaiting delivery but I anticipate I will change significantly depending which vehicle I drive. Little hard to throw around a metal cube and blast past traffic than in a high-powered sports coupe. I’ll be sitting several feet higher than currently too.

Yukon65006

Badlands
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Jeep Patriot, 06 BMW F650GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I do find myself going slower in the Bronco when we take it out of town. Mostly we use the other halves new Crosstek and I do find myself breaking the law with that when not using the adaptive cruise.

jwoobs

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Oh yeah, first day I took mine home I was still used to driving my manual Mazda3 hatch, took a
turn I usually coming flying into and felt like I was about to roll over.

Not to mention anything above 70 mph it feels like I have to really get into the throttle to get it there. Before I would say that I would usually be doing 10 over in the left lane, but now I try to stick the right lanes and do 0-5 over. Now I barely hit 10 over unless I'm passing, then drop back down.

Driving a Bronco fast isn't as rewarding as nailing a set of curves in the Mazda. Especially with the 10spd auto.

TheJess

Badlands
First Name
Jess
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 VW Golf Sportwagen
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes!! I can so identify with this thread! While a VW Golf-wagen doesn't scream sports car (then again, does anyone really know what Fahrvergnügen means?!), with a heavier and lower diesel engine and a manual, I have a far better than average take off speed. With the Bronco, I am more inclined to wait a little longer to pull out and not red-line my manual Bronco's tachometer!

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Yes definitely. The Bronco doesn't let me drive like I want to. Its a slow dog around town, and way too loud on the freeway to keep up with fastlane Texas traffic. I've given in to how it wants to be driven to be a pleasurable experience, but I also drive my truck alot because of that.

Sponsored

rws

Wildtrak
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 VW GTI, 2018 Silverado 1500 LT Z71
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I find that I'm looking for reasons to jump in and drive... I don't combine my errands... each errand is a separate opportunity to drive my Bronco. :)

rws

Wildtrak
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 VW GTI, 2018 Silverado 1500 LT Z71
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yes!! I can so identify with this thread! While a VW Golf-wagen doesn't scream sports car (then again, does anyone really know what Fahrvergnügen means?!), with a heavier and lower diesel engine and a manual, I have a far better than average take off speed. With the Bronco, I am more inclined to wait a little longer to pull out and not red-line my manual Bronco's tachometer!
I'm coming out of a GTI (which I've now gifted to my son)... I totally smile when driving the GTI, and now, I'm totally enjoying driving the Bronco and don't really miss the GTI as much these days.

M4Madness

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm not worried about saving fuel, but I'm driving slower to try to respect the break-in period (only 730 more miles to go). Not exceeding 3k is actually pretty easy since it has so much more power on tap than my 4Runner did, even at low RPM.
I'm at 379 miles on the odometer, and babying mine even more than you. I try to not exceed 2K RPM's, but have exceeded that slightly when taking off from a stoplight on a highway if traffic is heavy. I HAVE DEFINITELY NOT EXCEEDED 2.5K.

OP
OP
greatlakes

greatlakes

Base
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
67 Buick Special
Your Bronco Model
Base
I find that I'm looking for reasons to jump in and drive... I don't combine my errands... each errand is a separate opportunity to drive my Bronco. :)
I even volunteer to do Costco runs for my wife!

• Love
Reactions: rws

bikearch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 camaro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I definitely drive differently coming from a camero and prior that a BMW328.....no more agro driving in the twisties for sure though on a open country road i still hit the hammer!!
Sponsored