First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The more I think about it all, the more I think I’d want an plug-in hybrid. Kind of like the Jeep 4xE although I don’t particularly like that vehicle. I rarely drive more that 15 miles in a day and find having to go to the gas station just to run an errand to be a pain. I could seriously go most of the winter without ever going to a gas station with just a plug-in hybrid. But I do drive about 120 miles to the coast and back every other week during the summer, which is where I hesitate on a full EV powered car. Any driving while I’m at the coast in a full EV and I’ll have to find a charger.

That being said, we don’t know what we don’t know yet. And, so far, it doesn’t look like either company can put their car in my hands before the other. By the time either is really available to me, I think we’ll know a lot more about where PHEV and EV is heading. If not, I’ll get the first one that I can actually get.
Sponsored

Last edited:

HummerEV3X

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Hey guys,

I'm actually the head moderator over at the Hummer EV forums (HummerChat). We've sent some people over to this forum due to their Bronco interest, so I figured I'd finally join as well. Big Bronco fan, she's shaping up to be an absolute monster win for Ford. I see Bronco Sports running all over the place here in the Cleveland area, it's unbelievable.

Regarding the Hummer EV SUV, I'd just say this. Yeah, it costs a shit ton of coin, no denying it. Yeah, the range will be a downside for this first generation. But the man behind the Hummer twins is none other than Al Oppenheiser, who's a car guy's car guy through and through. Mustang fans need no introduction to him, as he was the man behind the plan for the resurrected Chevy Camaro. He led Camaro production from the return all the way through the 6th gen, and he's an industry legend.

The amount of tech they've engineered into the Hummers is astounding. I can definitely appreciate the off-roader who prefers to keep it simple, I'm the same way. But the tech you'll get in the Hummer EV will be the standard of the industry 10,, 15, even 20 years down the line. The specs for approach, departure, breakover and ground clearance are objectively ridiculous. The way they've set up the motors allow for front and rear lockers and true torque vectoring at the rear. 4 wheel steer gives these massive trucks an incredibly tight turning radius. Instant torque with regeneration on demand and one-pedal driving will be a boon off-road, and the estimated peak torque number by our members is 1,100 lb. ft. or so. And the chassis is beefy as hell.

Yeah, it's expansive and is range-limited, but the next generation of EV off-roaders are gearing up to have vastly improved range, and the Hummers lead the charge in that regard, pun not intended (the next-gen Ultium batteries will offer 500-600 miles of range). I'm sure Ford will offer an EV Bronco in the near future...the Hummer paves the way for that.

Thane

Badlands
First Name
Thane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 FJ Cruiser, 21 JLURXR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have had 2 EVs, both awesome.

Glad to see GM digging in and getting it started.

Looking forward to a spartan, offroad execution. Think lightweight, solar panel awnings, condensation H2O harvesting... not a LUX monster.

broncoj11

Badlands
First Name
Trunks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier Pro 4X
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

More power to you for being able to afford it. I wish I could, but even then I don’t know if I’d buy the hummer ev honestly. Really cool vehicle but I think it’s priced to fail.

I also don’t understand how gm thinks this is an actual competitor to Bronco when the starting prices are 50k apart.

Busterbronco1

Black Diamond
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT Premium and 1982 F100 Short Bed.
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

"charge up to 100 miles worth in just..... 10 minutes!" :ROFLMAO: just stupid.

Sponsored

BenB007

Outer Banks
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
More power to you for being able to afford it. I wish I could, but even then I don’t know if I’d buy the hummer ev honestly. Really cool vehicle but I think it’s priced to fail.

I also don’t understand how gm thinks this is an actual competitor to Bronco when the starting prices are 50k apart.
Price isn’t the only factor for everyone buying the Bronco. For some people, price may be the 2nd or 3rd factor. It certainly does compete with Bronco for off-road capability and top off experience. Also, some folks on this forum seem to have several cars (not including the family car). Then the question becomes more like “would I rather have a Tesla and Bronco or just an EV Hummer?”

But to your point, the price is likely going to deter a lot of potential customer that would otherwise consider it and that could definitely cause it to fail. It would definitely be a hard pill for me to swallow. But, as I said, it’s still so far off that’s it’s almost impossible to determine it’s value per dollar.

Incidentally, didn’t the GM marketing indicate that they would be offering less expensive models as time goes by?

broncoj11

Badlands
First Name
Trunks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier Pro 4X
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Price isn’t the only factor for everyone buying the Bronco. For some people, price may be the 2nd or 3rd factor. It certainly does compete with Bronco for off-road capability and top off experience. Also, some folks on this forum seem to have several cars (not including the family car). Then the question becomes more like “would I rather have a Tesla and Bronco or just an EV Hummer?”

But to your point, the price is likely going to deter a lot of potential customer that would otherwise consider it and that could definitely cause it to fail. It would definitely be a hard pill for me to swallow. But, as I said, it’s still so far off that’s it’s almost impossible to determine it’s value per dollar.

Incidentally, didn’t the GM marketing indicate that they would be offering less expensive models as time goes by?
I haven’t heard about any other future ev’s from gm other than the silvErado. I haven’t really been looking either though. I just heard an interview on TFL truck with either the head designer or engineer and he brought up the bronco and the mach e so it seems like gm is going at both of these? Idk. I really like the trucks, I just can’t justify the price and range when I can get a bronco or cybertruck for much cheaper. Or hell I could get both like you were saying😂

Desert_6G

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I could buy my Bronco and pay off my student loands for less than the cost of one of those. I want to enjoy off roading and camping with my rig and that is just to dam big to bring anywhere I want. It's just not practical

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

EV's are the wave of the future, NO DOUBT about it .... Ford has also invested heavily on 'em

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hard no. This infatuation with EVs is going to end badly. Key truths - inability to recycle expensive, short-lifespan batteries, huge current and growing disposal problem, limited supply of lithium, cobalt, rare earths and other key elements needed to manufacture batteries will create a mining crisis and exploding costs for said batteries, short range, inevitable tax levies that the current subsidized crop of EVs enjoy, the ban of EVs to be parked underground or in some car parks due to fire hazard to name a few.

That replacement batter you’ll need for your EV could be double the cost in a few years. Add that to depreciation and you’ve sunk a f-ton of cash into a commodity that will depreciate severely.

This fad will end. Buyer beware.
Key REAL truths (I drove Volts for 6 years and I have studied this for over 10 years):
1. Batteries have at least the same lifespan as Internal Combustion Engines (~10 years+). My Volt batteries can also be used for another 10+ in a battery array to provide generator backup for houses.
2. Battery costs are going dramatically DOWN as technology is getting better. No different than what is happening on laptops. The Apple M1 has reduced the entire circuitboard to the size of 2-3 quarters all in one unit. It no longer needs a fan to cool, it is cheaper to produce. It requires less materials. The whole industry is moving this way.
3. Range is more than enough for 95%+ of use cases. Most people don't drive cross country constantly. They drive in a circuit that is within 50 miles of their home and they do not use their vehicle for 8 hour stretches, perfect for plugging in.
4. Big Oil gets exponentially more "tax breaks" ($60,000,000,000 per year) than EVs. If you really want to level the playing field, make oil companies pay for the damage they cause by delivering highly flammable, heavy toxic fuel to 40,000 gas stations, in perhaps the most inefficient and dangerous way imaginable.
5. The battery costs are the same or lower than ICE engine costs.
6. When I drove my Volt, I saved about $2500 in fuel per year. Almost no maintenance. Cost of ownership for an EV was far lower than an ICE vehicle. And you can lease them with rates so low they match conventional vehicles.
7. Are you the guy who called the Internet a "fad". Do you still have a palm pilot/blackberry/flip phone because the iPhone is a "fad"?

Sponsored

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
Buy a Bronco AND buy a Mach E AND redo the kitchen v. get a Hummer EV. Cheaper that way.

HummerEV3X

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

Two things on that note. One, GM is going for the flagship models first to maximize profits in order to use that money for the down-market models. Case in point, the BT1 truck platform that the Hummer rides on will be supporting electric variants of the Silverado, Sierra and Escalade in the next 3 years. It's the Tesla model...the expensive, high-margin vehicles come first to fund the mass market ones.

As far as less expensive Hummer models, GMC hasn't said anything official yet. But I've heard from several people inside GM that the plan for the new Hummer line was never to stop with the pickup and SUV. Once the battery tech affords bigger range with a smaller battery that a down-market, smaller Hummer would need, it'll come to market. I expect before 2025.

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
EV at this point is not practical for rural Americans. Hybrids can work. I have seen 1 charging station with two "bays" in my county...

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Key REAL truths (I drove Volts for 6 years and I have studied this for over 10 years):
1. Batteries have at least the same lifespan as Internal Combustion Engines (~10 years+). My Volt batteries can also be used for another 10+ in a battery array to provide generator backup for houses.
2. Battery costs are going dramatically DOWN as technology is getting better. No different than what is happening on laptops. The Apple M1 has reduced the entire circuitboard to the size of 2-3 quarters all in one unit. It no longer needs a fan to cool, it is cheaper to produce. It requires less materials. The whole industry is moving this way.
3. Range is more than enough for 95%+ of use cases. Most people don't drive cross country constantly. They drive in a circuit that is within 50 miles of their home and they do not use their vehicle for 8 hour stretches, perfect for plugging in.
4. Big Oil gets exponentially more "tax breaks" ($60,000,000,000 per year) than EVs. If you really want to level the playing field, make oil companies pay for the damage they cause by delivering highly flammable, heavy toxic fuel to 40,000 gas stations, in perhaps the most inefficient and dangerous way imaginable.
5. The battery costs are the same or lower than ICE engine costs.
6. When I drove my Volt, I saved about $2500 in fuel per year. Almost no maintenance. Cost of ownership for an EV was far lower than an ICE vehicle. And you can lease them with rates so low they match conventional vehicles.
7. Are you the guy who called the Internet a "fad". Do you still have a palm pilot/blackberry/flip phone because the iPhone is a "fad"?
Good to know. California can't even keep the lights on at this point. Going all in on EVs at this point is not practical until the infrastructure is in place to support it.

Coal or Natural gas? Nuclear is out of the question. Wind and Solar are so spread out that it requires significant investment just to connect it to the grid, You know,you don't see wind farms except in rural areas and there is a significant lobby out there opposing them.

Who is going to pay for maintenance of the road infrastructure? Currently it's paid through on fuels. Tax on electricity? Tell that to someone who lives in the city and doesn't own a vehicle.

Other alternate fuels (Hydrogen?) are still in development. May be other, better alternatives to electric out there.

Not trying to get into a debate. But before we all jump on a bandwagon, lets make sure it is strong enough to hold all of us...

I'll step off of the soapbox now...

Wookiee

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy 1500
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I just reserved the Hummer EV SUV edition 1 that was revealed today. Just curious if anyone else reserved one as a backup option or as a second vehicle? Since I have a late reservation for the Bronco and would actually like to hold out for a Warthog, I probably won’t get it until late 2022 or 2023. The Hummer Edition 1 is supposed to be available early 2023 and looks like it may have a limited edition Moonshot Green Matte paint option. This may be a tough decision when the time comes.
That would be a hard NO...LOL, for those prices I could get 2 Broncos, or a nice 23’ Center Console all tricked out. Enjoy it though.
Sponsored