Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2DR FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Interested in the pre filter ones and the chance at picking up a slight boost in MPG. What did you go with / worth it?
Sponsored

MrGreen55

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
toyota scion xb
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Last edited:

okbob

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71' u15, 66' u14, 66' u14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not worth it imo, especially on a gas engine, turbo or not.

Sponsored
OP
OP
pony2bronco

pony2bronco

First Edition
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2DR FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Not worth it imo, especially on a gas engine, turbo or not.
Why do you say that? CAI and tune got me about 3mpg on my mustang, granted that was NA, I do not have experience with turbo/ecoboost. Does turbo not take as well to intakes?

Jhuff

Badlands
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma and DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Why do you say that? CAI and tune got me about 3mpg on my mustang, granted that was NA, I do not have experience with turbo/ecoboost. Does turbo not take as well to intakes?
I Can't speak to CAI in general, but the Bronco solutions I've seen all get their air from the same place the OEM airbox does.

I am definitely looking for any gains in power or mpg, but I will wait for real world data before I drop any cash.

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I always wonder if these CAI increase mpg and HP so easily, why donā€™t the manufacturers make them standard equipment? Sure would be a selling point to claim additional mpg and HP at a negligible cost. BTW, if you do opt to go with a CAI donā€˜t go with one that claims it doesnā€™t require a tune. These units always throw codes after install.

okbob

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71' u15, 66' u14, 66' u14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

NA is limited to what air it has access to. Turbo is going force/pull air regardless if it's coming from a stock box or a large box, it's going to force that air only so many psi regardless of where it comes from if that makes sense.

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My understanding is that CAIs work not so much by taking in colder, denser air but from having improved airflow. Factory designed air filter systems are designed to be quiet, they baffle as much induction noise as possible and in so doing they are quite restrictive. I added a CAI on an Xterra and it did produce a notable increase in power and improved MPG. It also had a notable increase in engine noise and a very notable increase in annoying filter cleanings. I am no engineer but I would speculate that improved air flow would translate to improved MPG with a turbo engine by reducing the exhaust pressure necessary to spin the turbo but would not translate to much in the way of improved HP.

Sponsored

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Volant Powercore intake I had on my 2006 Dodge 2500 diesel actually filtered the air better (65% lower silica numbers in oil analysis after install). I wasnā€™t as concerned with performance or looks, just better filtration in the desert. The Cummins trucks were pulling 32# of boost, the oiled filters were sucked in like a crushed pop cans and the oil stripped off to eventually damage the turbo and piston rings.

Ford and most OEMā€™s do a darn good job of air flow and filtration these days. I donā€™t believe there is enough restriction to give a significant MPG or performance increase going aftermarket on an otherwise stock engine. I will say that aftermarket oiled filters are junk that donā€™t filter as good as stock.

Ground_zero298

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 badlands 2 door. 22 Burban Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

10 degrees for 1 hp. Thatā€™s how it works. Put a rousch on mine. Looks good but waste of money performance wise. These are really not caiā€™s. Just a bigger filter and taller lid. No intake location or piping increase. Minimal if any performance enhancement.

My volant in my 19 6.2 burban replaced the factory box with a single 3ā€ to a 4 hole air box. That one actually added 33 horse. On my 21 the volant system makes 3 horse because Chevy made the platforms universal and switched to the 1500 style air filter location with the single 3ā€ hole again with no option for a multi hole box in that location.

So until the air intake location is changed or plumbing is bigger I donā€™t consider any of theses bronco caiā€™s true caiā€™s.

I did see the raptor air intake seems to be 2-3 times bigger than ours. If that would fit on a normal bronco I would consider that a upgrade.

The kits available right now are just air filter upgrade kits at best. Sure we will have a full actual kit in the future.

• Love
Reactions: Cat

Oden502

Wildtrak
First Name
Khalid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I order KN intake with AFE charge pipe. The intake will be received within one week while the charge pipe in July. I will install it and I will give you my feedback.

airishfan

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I always wonder if these CAI increase mpg and HP so easily, why donā€™t the manufacturers make them standard equipment? Sure would be a selling point to claim additional mpg and HP at a negligible cost. BTW, if you do opt to go with a CAI donā€˜t go with one that claims it doesnā€™t require a tune. These units always throw codes after install.
Makes you wonder how CAL get increase mpg and more HP because someone once pointed out how you get more HP is by getting more gas into the engine plus they not very good if you off-road in in areas that is dusty like in Vegas .
Sponsored