First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Hey everyone! Just got my ARB Twin air compressor and I’m extremely excited, but I was curious to see if anyone has upgraded to air lockers. It is for sure something I’d like to add in the future as I did not get the sas package. Has anyone actually done with and or is it even possible with the welded open diffs? I’d like to avoid replacing 2 axles just for a higher gear ratio and locker if I don’t have to.

Thanks
Sponsored

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I very nearly did it.

If you have the ELD you can reuse your existing gears if you want. If you don’t have the stock lockers you will need a new ring/pinion set (because yours would be welded to the old carrier). Depending on your existing trim you may also need new axle shafts (there is a chart - mostly you need axle shafts from a non-ELD VIN).

In either case it will need to be re-measured for lash and proper fit, and if you don’t have all the tooling then best to take it into a regear shop

Either its ring/pinion, or axle shafts (or maybe both), plus the ARB carrier + the compressor and tank

Last edited:
OP
OP
billyum

billyum

Big Bend
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Do you have a link to the chart?

Disciple Mike

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado 1500, Bronco, 600RR
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I assume you have 3.73 gear ratio? I was having a similar dilemma, and one thing I considered was trying to find the front end from a Black Diamond or manual transmission Bronco that has 4.46 gearing. Might be something to think about, if you could find a used one. But may not be worth it to get in there, only to get in there again at a later time and add a front locker.

Sponsored
OP
OP
billyum

billyum

Big Bend
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I assume you have 3.73 gear ratio? I was having a similar dilemma, and one thing I considered was trying to find the front end from a Black Diamond or manual transmission Bronco that has 4.46 gearing. Might be something to think about, if you could find a used one. But may not be worth it to get in there, only to get in there again at a later time and add a front locker.
I have a big bend manual 4.46 gearing with no rear locker. I want to say it’s the M220 rear and m210 front

Disciple Mike

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have a big bend manual 4.46 gearing with no rear locker. I want to say it’s the M220 rear and m210 front
Copy that, so my proposal would not help you at all. I think it was already mentioned, but you need a new ring and pinion gear with the 4.46 ratio if you don’t want to do anything to the front. I haven’t looked but I’d imagine that ARB will sell you those as well as the air locker. Just curious, what ratio are you wanting to go to?

OP
OP
billyum

billyum

Big Bend
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Copy that, so my proposal would not help you at all. I think it was already mentioned, but you need a new ring and pinion gear with the 4.46 ratio if you don’t want to do anything to the front. I haven’t looked but I’d imagine that ARB will sell you those as well as the air locker. Just curious, what ratio are you wanting to go to?
Definitely at least 4.88 to get optimal power with 35 in tires, but I might do 5.13 if I decide to go bigger. As of right now I’m not going to do anything until I get closer to when it’s time to get tires. I’ll probably just do it all at the same time

Edit: I know the rear is easy, but I’m still unsure about if Arb has one for the front m210

Disciple Mike

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Definitely at least 4.88 to get optimal power with 35 in tires, but I might do 5.13 if I decide to go bigger. As of right now I’m not going to do anything until I get closer to when it’s time to get tires. I’ll probably just do it all at the same time

Edit: I know the rear is easy, but I’m still unsure about if Arb has one for the front m210
In this video they installed air lockers in the front and rear, but don’t go into any detail on it. Far as I’ve seen, ARB hasn’t officially listed these part numbers as Bronco compatible (they are listed for the Ranger).

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

If you have the M210 front, then you already have ELD front and rear. You would be able to re-use your existing ring/pinion. You would need axle shafts from a non-ELD rear end though (the pumpkin sits about 1" off on the non-ELD version, just to be a bit different, so the axle shafts are an inch different lengths from the ELD version).

The only ones that come welded are the non-ELD setups - for what reason I can't fathom other than to make upgrades like this more difficult

Sponsored

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Far as I’ve seen, ARB hasn’t officially listed these part numbers as Bronco compatible (they are listed for the Ranger).
There is one for the M220 rear end, with Bronco tagged on it. My previous link above is of that ARB part number. There is also an ARB air locker for the Ultimate Dana 60 35-spl if you wanted to get froggy.

You are correct, to the best of my knowledge, on the FDU though.

For the front, the one for the Ranger is the M190, and it would probably work here, but only if you have the m190 front end - and you can find ring/pinion set for that (I've not taken my apart or seen it confirmed if the non-ELD FDU is also welded like the rear end)- that front end has been hard to find aftermarket parts for.

There are plenty of m210 Jeep front end ARB carriers, and they would likely fit fine, problem is they are all 32 or 35 spline, and the OEM Ford front ends are all 29 spline. If you got the Spicer Extreme front axles, those are 32 spline and you could use a 32 spline carrier with them then, that's likely how they made this work.

https://spicerparts.com/parts/axle/performance/spicer-extreme-half-shafts
Ford Bronco Anyone install Air Lockers? 1716217012768-ws

Last edited:

Disciple Mike

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

There is one for the M220 rear end, with Bronco tagged on it. My previous link above is of that ARB part number. There is also an ARB air locker for the Ultimate Dana 60 35-spl if you wanted to get froggy.

You are correct, to the best of my knowledge, on the FDU though.

For the front, the one for the Ranger is the M190, and it would probably work here, but only if you have the m190 front end - and you can find ring/pinion set for that (I've not taken my apart or seen it confirmed if the non-ELD FDU is also welded like the rear end)- that front end has been hard to find aftermarket parts for.

There are plenty of m210 Jeep front end ARB carriers, and they would likely fit fit, problem is they are all 32 or 35 spline, and the OEM Ford front ends are all 29 spline. If you got the Dana Ultimate front axles, those are 32 spline and you could use a 32 spline carrier with them then, that's likely how they made this work.
I didn’t catch that earlier when you said M210 front end. I’m certainly no expert, but my understanding is that all M210 fronts have the ELD, and all the non-locking differentials for Bronco are M190. So, the OP likely has the M190 with the 29 spline. Only Sasquatch package (including Wikdtrak) and Badlands have M210 fronts.

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

If you have no locker than it’s m190 front and m220 rear. Having been through this with a friend if you don’t have the advanced Tcase you will need to get the ford procal if you swap out the front diff. The non advanced t case comes with a front fdu that has a front axle disconnect. If they get deleted(swapping in an m210 FDU) you will no longer have 4x4. The local solves that problem. The m190 FDU from what I have read does not live longe with a locker installed due to the aluminium case and smaller everything. It’s an expensive project. To the point of depending on your interest rate and finances you may be better off trading it in and getting a used badlands.

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

For the front end:
M210 FDU - $1800
Half Shafts - $400
ProCal - $500

Labor - ?$?$

That get you an ELD, but if you want to go further with an air locker:

Then -
Air Locker - $1000
Ring/Pinion - $300 (optional)
32-spline half shafts - $2700 (could skip out on the 29-spline part listed above if you are jumping to here)
Rebuild Kit -$200

Labor - ?$?$

You already have the compressor, so that was .. $600 give or take labor I guess
Sponsored