Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

No, I get that. But what is the advantage of a 4.46 over a 4.10? Or a 3.65? That's the part I'm not understanding and all the YouTubes I'm finding are for cars looking to drift.
Availability. 4.46 is available
Sponsored

Tech Tim

Base
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

No, I get that. But what is the advantage of a 4.46 over a 4.10? Or a 3.65? That's the part I'm not understanding and all the YouTubes I'm finding are for cars looking to drift.

Maybe an easier way to describe it is to ask if you have ever ridden a 10 speed bicycle?

As you shift through the gears, it goes from harder to pedal to easier to pedal. When it is hard to pedal, that's like having 3.65, then you shift the gears, it gets easier to pedal, that's like going to 4.10s, then 4.46s, then 4.70s etc.

Adding a larger tire to your stock gears, will make it harder to start to turn the wheels, when you go with a higher numerical number gear, like a 4.46 or 4.70, it makes it easier to turn those larger tires.

To get into the tech side of it, the engineers at Ford have designed the gear ratio in your axles to be the right match for your tire size to optimize the transmission shift points and engine to give the best power and efficiency. If you change tire size, you are changing one equation and the engine and transmission will not perform as well as designed. By changing to a higher numerical number gear that best matches the bigger tires, you will get the performance and efficiency back.... well back to the best point it can be with a bigger, heavier tire/wheel combo and a taller vehicle.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gabby

Gabby

Base
First Name
Gabriella
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Bronco, 16 Tiger 800XCx, 96 Duc 900SS/Sp
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Maybe an easier way to describe it is to ask if you have ever ridden a 10 speed bicycle?

As you shift through the gears, it goes from harder to pedal to easier to pedal. When it is hard to pedal, that's like having 3.65, then you shift the gears, it gets easier to pedal, that's like going to 4.10s, then 4.46s, then 4.70s etc.

Adding a larger tire to your stock gears, will make it harder to start to turn the wheels, when you go with a higher numerical number gear, like a 4.46 or 4.70, it makes it easier to turn those larger tires.
That does make sense! And it sounds like what the car vids were talking about for track time with tyre sizes added in (and presumably less drifting).

So if I keep stock tyres and do low amounts of off roading then a smaller number is better, but the more off-road oriented I become, I'll need the larger number to turn the bigger tyres and access the peak torque sooner?

Tech Tim

Base
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

That does make sense! And it sounds like what the car vids were talking about for track time with tyre sizes added in (and presumably less drifting).

So if I keep stock tyres and do low amounts of off roading then a smaller number is better, but the more off-road oriented I become, I'll need the larger number to turn the bigger tyres and access the peak torque sooner?
In a nut-shell yes.
Sponsored