Sponsored

Anyone installed JL Audio C1-650x in Kick Panel of B&O System?

Panzer948

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ5, 2015 BMW M4, 2019 Jeep G.C. Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looking hard at ordering a new set of speakers today, likely from Crutchfield so they can include adapters. I have been leaning toward a set of matching speakers from the same manufacture and series to replace all my 4" (3 dash and 2 rollbar) and the two 6" kick panel speakers. Been leaning towards a Morel series or the JL C1 series for all of them. A couple of problems though. First, it seems Crutchfield doesn't list them as fitting in the kick panels (which appears to be a common theme for many). Has anyone tried the C1-650x in the kick panel? I know other brands with tweeters that stick out to high will interfere with the grill. If you got them in, what did you think of the sound? I think these 6" speakers are going to have to carry the brunt of the mid-bass up front versus the dash so was thinking maybe upgrading these to even a better model, maybe a component with a built in crossover so I can mount the tweeter outside of the grill. Decisions decisions!

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_13699042/JL-Audio-C1-650x.html?tp=78072
Ford Bronco Anyone installed JL Audio C1-650x in Kick Panel of B&O System? 1642257154835

Second issue goes back to the 4" dash speakers. I am not sure I can even get a third JL C1 4" speaker for center channel. Based on my ears, that center channel is putting out a lot of sound (likely cause I have it in surround mode) so I would hate to leave an unmatched factory center channel in place with these higher end speakers everywhere else). I plan to call crutchfield soon and find that part out. Will post what I learn here.

Update:
I posted this further below but want to update here so there is no initial confusion. I did order the JL's but with one change, I bought the component version of the above 6" instead (JL Audio C1-650). It was only $20 more and shouldn't have any trouble fitting since the twitter is separate and can be surface mountable. I plan to experiment with the twitter location before I mount them permanently (or not at all if 4" speakers can cover the treble). They should be here midweek and I plan to install them over the weekend. I will report here my findings/decisions.
Sponsored

Last edited:

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don’t have an answer for your question. I’m kind of surprised nobody is running a good set of 6.5” component speakers with the tweeter installed in the dashboard where the 4” speaker is. Maybe the midrange would be too muffled from the kick panel location, but this used to be a very common configuration.

threeonone

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jaguar
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have them installed in mine. They fit. My stereo system was base and I changed all speakers to JL C1's and added a sub.

OP
OP
Panzer948

Panzer948

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have them installed in mine. They fit. My stereo system was base and I changed all speakers to JL C1's and added a sub.
Great, so are you very happy with them (would do it again?). Just asking as there is always something for a little more $$ but these seem good at that price point. Using Crutchfield's listening system to compare now but not sure that is a good representation of how it will be in our Bronco!

Scsoren

Big Bend
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I don’t have an answer for your question. I’m kind of surprised nobody is running a good set of 6.5” component speakers with the tweeter installed in the dashboard where the 4” speaker is. Maybe the midrange would be too muffled from the kick panel location, but this used to be a very common configuration.
This what we did with a set of Alpine component speakers Type S SS65C’s. Sounds great! And we installed a Kenwood powered sub in the back.

Sponsored

zombie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands (7spd) 2022 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If your 6.5" kick panel are 2 or 3 way, the tweeter must be more or less flush with the woofer, if it protrudes slightly, you will likely not be able to put the OEM speaker covers back in place.

As far as protrusion of the woofer into the body of the Bronco, it's quite deep so just about anything should fit.

OP
OP
Panzer948

Panzer948

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ig_bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Looking hard at ordering a new set of speakers today, likely from Crutchfield so they can include adapters. I have been leaning toward a set of matching speakers from the same manufacture and series to replace all my 4" (3 dash and 2 rollbar) and the two 6" kick panel speakers. Been leaning towards a Morel series or the JL C1 series for all of them. A couple of problems though. First, it seems Crutchfield doesn't list them as fitting in the kick panels (which appears to be a common theme for many). Has anyone tried the C1-650x in the kick panel? I know other brands with tweeters that stick out to high will interfere with the grill. If you got them in, what did you think of the sound? I think these 6" speakers are going to have to carry the brunt of the mid-bass up front versus the dash so was thinking maybe upgrading these to even a better model, maybe a component with a built in crossover so I can mount the tweeter outside of the grill. Decisions decisions!

Ford Bronco Anyone installed JL Audio C1-650x in Kick Panel of B&O System? 1642257154835

Second issue goes back to the 4" dash speakers. I am not sure I can even get a third JL C1 4" speaker for center channel. Based on my ears, that center channel is putting out a lot of sound (likely cause I have it in surround mode) so I would hate to leave an unmatched factory center channel in place with these higher end speakers everywhere else). I plan to call crutchfield soon and find that part out. Will post what I learn here.
Crutchfield talked me into morel 4.5 for my dash and rear... I like them first time using the brand.

Hossfire

Wildtrak
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Jeep Commander
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

From other posts: For 6.5" and 6.75" speakers, the mounting depth of 2.5" from the deck is not the issue for most aftermarket speakers. Rather, it is the space between the top of the speaker and the underside of the grill.

From other posts, the three factory bolts that attach the stock woofer are significantly wider than the typical mounting screws of a 6.5 or 6.75 speaker. Thus Crutchfield is assuming that you use one of their mounting adapters (the Metra 82-5605 that they provide is .814" tall). So, you lose a bunch of space because Crutchfield is using a tall adapter.

My suggestions:

1) look for a thinner adapter.
2) Have someone fab a custom adapter
3) if you are handy, make your own adapter

I'm going to do #3 when my Bronco arrives (still no build date).

Based on how this system is designed to perform, I would focus on SPL for these speakers but wouldn't blow a lot of money on a component setup. Your mids and highs will come from the dash speakers. A nice pair of coaxial speakers should do fine. I'm thinking that a pair of low frequency bass blockers would be helpful, considering that the sub will handle frequencies below 100Hz. One of Metra's companies (Installbay) makes this: Amazon.com: Install Bay BB398 10 Percent Cap 398Uf 100Volts 85 Hertz 4 Ohm Non-Poplar : Everything Else

Shim

Badlands
First Name
Shim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't quite have my Bronco yet but from the info provided, the B&O system does not use a component speaker for the kickpanel. So I was contemplating their 6.5" C2-650cw down there just as a speaker swap, woofer for woofer. Upgrading the 4" speakers "should" provide penty of highs. Also guessing without a tweeter in here that depth shouldn't be an issue.

https://www.jlaudio.com/collections/car-audio-speakers-c2/products/c2-650cw

Anyone with info on the depth of the existing sub or available mounting depth?

Sponsored

threeonone

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jaguar
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Great, so are you very happy with them (would do it again?). Just asking as there is always something for a little more $$ but these seem good at that price point. Using Crutchfield's listening system to compare now but not sure that is a good representation of how it will be in our Bronco!
Definitely happy with them. Huge difference.

Hossfire

Wildtrak
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Jeep Commander
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I don't quite have my Bronco yet but from the info provided, the B&O system does not use a component speaker for the kickpanel. So I was contemplating their 6.5" C2-650cw down there just as a speaker swap, woofer for woofer. Upgrading the 4" speakers "should" provide penty of highs. Also guessing without a tweeter in here that depth shouldn't be an issue.

I am leaning towards Infinity Kappas. By going to the previous generation of Kappas, you can get some great deals. The Kappas don't have small coaxial speakers. They do (quite expensive imho) component mids and tweeters. One potential option for the deck is the
KAPPA-64CFX 4x6 plate speaker that combines a 4" mid and a small tweeter. See picture.
Ford Bronco Anyone installed JL Audio C1-650x in Kick Panel of B&O System? 1642437294124

Ford Bronco Anyone installed JL Audio C1-650x in Kick Panel of B&O System? 1642437370091

Here's the thought:

• I think there is enough real estate to make this work by offsetting the woofer to one side and a little dremel work to provide a smidge more clearance for the tweeter on the trim that the factory speakers rest.
  • A thin (1/8" spacer would give enough depth clearance and help seal the enclosure)
  • I would then drill new mount holes and insert u clips for mounting
  • Although my preference would be to have the tweeters oriented to the side, the pictures show a piece of steel on the inside that might interfere or cause rattling.
While many of you may not like the idea of taking a dremel to a new car, this is all under the grill and would be completely hidden. I have looked that the ford instrument panel layout---I don't see anything sensitive in this area.

These 94 SPL dash speakers and the 62Ix 95 SPL kick panels speakers should make the most of the B&O amp.

As I have posted in the past, the 6.5s are a little too tall with the Metra universal 6.5/6.75" adapter. A custom adapter is really just a little routing work with my circular jig. I would use some 3/4" pvc board from Lowes for this. The Metra online instructions have a diagram (although the adapter is only like $15) that provides the mounting hole locations. before cutting the inner circle out for the woofer, I would route out a recess to mount the speaker, giving the tweeter more room. Sound deadening, polyfill, and a little black spray paint to cover the white adapter. I think there is merit to putting a foam ring to direct the sound between the grill and the speaker mounting ring. I agree with @zombie that the baffles are a waste lower bass output.

For those of you wondering about using PVC board, it has a lower tensile strength than acrylic, but is really easy to work with. It's also inexpensive and you can buy it at Lowes/Home Depot. I love HDPE, but it's overkill for the application and really pricy. FWIW. I'm sure MDF would be fine as well as long as it was well primed and painted.

Hossfire

Wildtrak
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Jeep Commander
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

(I don't have my Bronco either)

I can't do any planning with the sub without better info. It is an 8" paper woofer. I think it is very similar to ones that have been used in the F150 and Expedition B&Os. Harmon doesn't use a wide variety of drivers in its automotive applications.

Based on this info:
  • It is Dual Voice Coil with 4 Ohms (somebody on the F150 forum tested each at about 4.4 Ohms). Thus the amp sees this as a 2 Ohm load (which the amp is designed for).
  • The speaker isn't very impressive in appearance.
  • They have ported the enclosure, which to me signals that they needed to do that to get more volume from the speaker.
The plastic enclosure (also used to mount the AMP) is a highly customized design used to take advantage of the space over the wheel well. It is a ported enclosure. Hard to guess how much volume in the enclosure, which is critical to upgrading the woofer using the stock enclosure.

Some non-B&O people have talked about buying the woofer assembly to mount an aftermarket sub and amp. I think that's a waste of money (Ford sells it for around $250). Better to find an appropriate aftermarket enclosure and figure out a way to use the factory bolts. There is a lot of real estate over that wheel well.

BlueGhost

Black Diamond
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Raptor, 2018 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Ford Bronco Anyone installed JL Audio C1-650x in Kick Panel of B&O System? 1642437370091

You might be better off spending the extra $20 to get the JL Audio C1-650 component set and just not using the tweeters. This way you don't have to fit the 2-way 6.5 in the kicks and the 4 inch in the dash handle's the high end.

OP
OP
Panzer948

Panzer948

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You might be better off spending the extra $20 to get the JL Audio C1-650 component set and just not using the tweeters. This way you don't have to fit the 2-way 6.5 in the kicks and the 4 inch in the dash handle's the high end.
That's actually what I ended up buying. Should be here mid week. But I do want to see about mounting the tweeters and plan to do some experimenting with moving them around before deciding on a permanent mounting location (or like you said, ditch them all together). I can report back here what I end up doing.
Sponsored