Sponsored

Anyone know the REAL reason I’m still on Ice Mountain on “chip hold”?

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
My money is on this. All data points to the fact that Ford decided to continue the assembly line and loop back and install the missing modules at a later date; however, management seriously underestimated the labor involved. They probably looked up the brand new service manual for the Estimated repair time for "X" part, not realizing that those times are estimates, and based on the vehicle being in a shop, on a lift, with qualified staff, and a fully equipped shop with tools. But Ford didn't park all those broncos in a shop. They parked them in a HUGE parking lot. And they gave those poor techs a little bag of tools, limited only yo those that the service manual said was needed to get to the part replaced - not realizing that the service techs in the shops actually have TONS of tricks to help get things done that the service manual never mentions.

Then those poor techs are outside in the snow in the winter, probably only shown once or twice inside a bay somewhere how to install the part, and given a service bronco, a printed list of broncos with lane # and spot #. They have to drive around and find the damn bronco, verify they have the right one, get the right paperwork, get the right part, (don't forget it was middle of winter for several months, in Michigan) and they have to get to work.

It's a damn miracle they got anything done to be honest. Especially considering they are all union workers and this is now outside their normal prenegotiated union work with required union work environment and breaks and weather exposure... etc. I o KY ever saw 8 or so people working at one given time when seeing pictures and videos posted on this forum.

Meanwhile, when the parts got in, Ford put them back into the assembly line and broncos rolled off and into the showroom for everyone else, causing us 1/17 folk much frustrating and discontent... Because it's a thousand times easier to install stuff on the assembly line...

We might be better off just ordering a 2023 when the order banks open again... I'm not sure I want a 1+year old 2022 bronco sometime in 2023 that has been sitting outside in the elements. I doubt they've been giving all these broncos an oil change and trickle charging the batteries like you do for a vehicle in storage. Tires can also develop flat spots on them and actually have expiration dates on them as well... so the longer these things sit, the worse off we all are... Engines that sit and never run are always the worse for wear - the seals always leak more and they never last as long as rhe engine that is regularly operated...

The whole thing is just tragic and I personally am at about witts end... this extra 90-day extension might be the straw that broke the camels back...
Your statement above is based on sound, logical reasoning here in your real world and takes into account some of the many factors why anything outside of predetermined assembly line manufacturing can very quickly turn into a massive waste of time, money and resources.

So with that in mind I'm going to ignore literally everything you just said, then shout how Ford lost me, they are stupid and I want (an oompa loompa nowwwww) my Bronco now!

Also, is the OP actually asking about Fight Club? We don't talk about Fight Club here. Requesting @Administrator to remove all references of Fight Club.
Sponsored

66Fan

Wildtrak
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Okay there’s gotta be reason other than a chip shortage that my bronco with a build week of 1/17/21 is still “in production” on “chip hold”… I NEED ANSWERS!!!
Probably because a 01/17/2021 build date was pre-production, and all of those were scrapped?

DefNotBuddyLee

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang / Jeep / F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
@Shamus McGee , that is somewhat inaccurate. Kenny G has been contracted to walk through the lot every 2nd Tuesday of the month doing his "pied piper" routine which attracts any rats and small children that were hiding in the Broncos. Those rats and children are then shipped to the Indiana recycling plant where I believe they make Bronco swag which is mailed out for reservation holders that have not yet received their Bronco.

survivormanca

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nothing
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They need to shut down new production for 30+ days and run every parked Bronco through a review process to complete them, QC them and then ship them. And then, only restart the full production line when all components are ready to build the broncos scheduled for the next 30 days. This is a management problem. Yes, they have supply chain issues, but they are exacerbating the challenges they are facing due to poor decision making.

El Bronco Blanco

Wildtrak
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Explorer XLT, 2021 Mazda CX-9
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

They need to shut down new production for 30+ days and run every parked Bronco through a review process to complete them, QC them and then ship them. And then, only restart the full production line when all components are ready to build the broncos scheduled for the next 30 days. This is a management problem. Yes, they have supply chain issues, but they are exacerbating the challenges they are facing due to poor decision making.
For the billionth time, Ford wont shut down the line. SMH...

Sponsored

CobraKaiSG

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi TTS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
We might be better off just ordering a 2023 when the order banks open again... I'm not sure I want a 1+year old 2022 bronco sometime in 2023 that has been sitting outside in the elements. I doubt they've been giving all these broncos an oil change and trickle charging the batteries like you do for a vehicle in storage. Tires can also develop flat spots on them and actually have expiration dates on them as well... so the longer these things sit, the worse off we all are... Engines that sit and never run are always the worse for wear - the seals always leak more and they never last as long as rhe engine that is regularly operated...

The whole thing is just tragic and I personally am at about witts end... this extra 90-day extension might be the straw that broke the camels back...
this is my plan- i'm just going to order as soon as they will let me because depending on how long this dirt mountain bronco sits there it may not be wise to keep it long term since my plan was to keep this vehicle a long time.

survivormanca

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nothing
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

El Bronco Blanco

Wildtrak
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Explorer XLT, 2021 Mazda CX-9
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

They are doing it in the first three weeks of July.
If that is true, that sucks. Not seeing anything official about it though.

Regardless, a shutdown, isn't going to divert anything to Ice Mountain. Once they can start the line again they will.

I'm sorry if you're on the mountain, but there is zero chance Ford changes how they are handling it, at the expense of the Line... shutdown or not.

survivormanca

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nothing
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If that is true, that sucks. Not seeing anything official about it though.

Regardless, a shutdown, isn't going to divert anything to Ice Mountain. Once they can start the line again they will.

I'm sorry if you're on the mountain, but there is zero chance Ford changes how they are handling it, at the expense of the Line... shutdown or not.
Well, I had a blend of 4/20 and most people my build week are on chip hold. Mine is not but is delayed pending transport.

Last edited: