Sponsored

Anyone know the REAL reason I’m still on Ice Mountain on “chip hold”?

JennaLynn02

Outer Banks
First Name
Jenna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Camry
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Okay there’s gotta be reason other than a chip shortage that my bronco with a build week of 1/17/21 is still “in production” on “chip hold”… I NEED ANSWERS!!!
Sponsored

Pdshepherd

Wildtrak
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None. Wife's Kia is my part time wheels
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Okay there’s gotta be reason other than a chip shortage that my bronco with a build week of 1/17/21 is still “in production” on “chip hold”… I NEED ANSWERS!!!
No one knows. And you can’t get anyone to give real information from ford. It’s sucks

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I'm baffled as to how Ford expects people to want a 2021 Bronco in late 2022 or maybe even 2023.

It either has to be an extremely difficult job to tear apart the Bronco and reinstall the missing modules, or maybe they've traced down bad parts And just don't have the time to go back and fix these. It's not like an assembly line and they can run it in reverse. They probably have to have a small group of people that are literally tearing these back apart and fixing them. I would imagine that is going to take a very long time.

Sponsored

BroncoRob_Reignited

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 m240i Convertible, 2021 Bronco (pending)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It either has to be an extremely difficult job to tear apart the Bronco and reinstall the missing modules, ...They probably have to have a small group of people that are literally tearing these back apart and fixing them. I would imagine that is going to take a very long time.
My money is on this. All data points to the fact that Ford decided to continue the assembly line and loop back and install the missing modules at a later date; however, management seriously underestimated the labor involved. They probably looked up the brand new service manual for the Estimated repair time for "X" part, not realizing that those times are estimates, and based on the vehicle being in a shop, on a lift, with qualified staff, and a fully equipped shop with tools. But Ford didn't park all those broncos in a shop. They parked them in a HUGE parking lot. And they gave those poor techs a little bag of tools, limited only yo those that the service manual said was needed to get to the part replaced - not realizing that the service techs in the shops actually have TONS of tricks to help get things done that the service manual never mentions.

Then those poor techs are outside in the snow in the winter, probably only shown once or twice inside a bay somewhere how to install the part, and given a service bronco, a printed list of broncos with lane # and spot #. They have to drive around and find the damn bronco, verify they have the right one, get the right paperwork, get the right part, (don't forget it was middle of winter for several months, in Michigan) and they have to get to work.

It's a damn miracle they got anything done to be honest. Especially considering they are all union workers and this is now outside their normal prenegotiated union work with required union work environment and breaks and weather exposure... etc. I o KY ever saw 8 or so people working at one given time when seeing pictures and videos posted on this forum.

Meanwhile, when the parts got in, Ford put them back into the assembly line and broncos rolled off and into the showroom for everyone else, causing us 1/17 folk much frustrating and discontent... Because it's a thousand times easier to install stuff on the assembly line...

We might be better off just ordering a 2023 when the order banks open again... I'm not sure I want a 1+year old 2022 bronco sometime in 2023 that has been sitting outside in the elements. I doubt they've been giving all these broncos an oil change and trickle charging the batteries like you do for a vehicle in storage. Tires can also develop flat spots on them and actually have expiration dates on them as well... so the longer these things sit, the worse off we all are... Engines that sit and never run are always the worse for wear - the seals always leak more and they never last as long as rhe engine that is regularly operated...

The whole thing is just tragic and I personally am at about witts end... this extra 90-day extension might be the straw that broke the camels back...

Sav426

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Savas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Oh god…..
Soooooo stupid.
🤦🏻‍♂️

Cornbred

Raptor
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 F-250/Edge, 14 F150,202? Bronco Base/Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
My money is on this. All data points to the fact that Ford decided to continue the assembly line and loop back and install the missing modules at a later date; however, management seriously underestimated the labor involved. They probably looked up the brand new service manual for the Estimated repair time for "X" part, not realizing that those times are estimates, and based on the vehicle being in a shop, on a lift, with qualified staff, and a fully equipped shop with tools. But Ford didn't park all those broncos in a shop. They parked them in a HUGE parking lot. And they gave those poor techs a little bag of tools, limited only yo those that the service manual said was needed to get to the part replaced - not realizing that the service techs in the shops actually have TONS of tricks to help get things done that the service manual never mentions.

Then those poor techs are outside in the snow in the winter, probably only shown once or twice inside a bay somewhere how to install the part, and given a service bronco, a printed list of broncos with lane # and spot #. They have to drive around and find the damn bronco, verify they have the right one, get the right paperwork, get the right part, (don't forget it was middle of winter for several months, in Michigan) and they have to get to work.

It's a damn miracle they got anything done to be honest. Especially considering they are all union workers and this is now outside their normal prenegotiated union work with required union work environment and breaks and weather exposure... etc. I o KY ever saw 8 or so people working at one given time when seeing pictures and videos posted on this forum.

Meanwhile, when the parts got in, Ford put them back into the assembly line and broncos rolled off and into the showroom for everyone else, causing us 1/17 folk much frustrating and discontent... Because it's a thousand times easier to install stuff on the assembly line...

We might be better off just ordering a 2023 when the order banks open again... I'm not sure I want a 1+year old 2022 bronco sometime in 2023 that has been sitting outside in the elements. I doubt they've been giving all these broncos an oil change and trickle charging the batteries like you do for a vehicle in storage. Tires can also develop flat spots on them and actually have expiration dates on them as well... so the longer these things sit, the worse off we all are... Engines that sit and never run are always the worse for wear - the seals always leak more and they never last as long as rhe engine that is regularly operated...

The whole thing is just tragic and I personally am at about witts end... this extra 90-day extension might be the straw that broke the camels back...
the thing about this situation is this, a vehicle loses value because of its age and yet Ford and your dealer will expect everyone to pay MSRP which honestly is complete bullsh!t.

Bronco cat

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Explorer ST, ‘19 GT350, ‘21 Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Sun spots…….

gryphon1231

First Name
dj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
na
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Ford is currently not allowed to evict the rodents that have taken up residence in your Bronco

Sponsored

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '04 6.0, '76 High Boy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
If I was still waiting on my 2021 halfway through '22 I'd have bought something else already.

Ford needs to pull their head out of their ass. These are last years model at this point.

NurseDan

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Focus
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I'm baffled as to how Ford expects people to want a 2021 Bronco in late 2022 or maybe even 2023.

It either has to be an extremely difficult job to tear apart the Bronco and reinstall the missing modules, or maybe they've traced down bad parts And just don't have the time to go back and fix these. It's not like an assembly line and they can run it in reverse. They probably have to have a small group of people that are literally tearing these back apart and fixing them. I would imagine that is going to take a very long time.
☝

Saltlife4shore

Big Bend
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
It's probably because they can't find your truck and most likely shipped it off to the wrong dealership and now some lucky guy or gal just paid over 15K markup and is driving your chip hold! Or not.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you take it at face value, the vehicle is missing one or more modules. That said, we signed a bailment agreement last year and an updated version some months ago that should've let these "incomplete" units be shipped to the dealer to store and install said missing module/part so it can be cared for better and closer to final delivery for the customer.

Last time it fell through, from what I've gathered, was strong objection from the union. There was never an official statement released but I heard this through different channels. Is that the same thing keeping these from being sent to dealers now? I dunno. It would make sense but I have not heard one peep from dealers that incomplete units were being sent.

While this doesn't answer your direct question, the likely hood it's as indicated, a semi-conductor related module shortage, is probably the most logical explanation. Which module(s)? No idea. There is an information firewall between Ford production/scheduling and Ford regional management. Might be able to find someone that works at MAP and get them to spill the beans but it's highly unlikely they would do it publicly for fear of retaliation.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ford is currently not allowed to evict the rodents that have taken up residence in your Bronco
Actually maybe squatters have taken occupancy in the Broncos, and covid housing rules meant they couldn't be evicted. ;)
Sponsored