Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey y’all. Does anyone with apple CarPlay who also has a MyQ garage door opener that allows you to open your garage door with your phone know if you can use your infotainment screen to open your garage? This idea just popped into my head while thinking about how to maybe use an aux switch for my opener and realizing maybe there was another way. If not, anyone know why it wouldn’t work? Curious about the responses to this.
Sponsored

BuiltTough

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F 150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Good question.I have MyQ, have yet to use apple CarPlay though. I've heard that only certain iPhone apps work on CarPlay, and I'm guessing Apple and Ford could block this app for that reason?? not sure though....

OP
OP
AcenTitus

AcenTitus

Badlands
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Good question.I have MyQ, have yet to use apple CarPlay though. I've heard that only certain iPhone apps work on CarPlay, and I'm guessing Apple and Ford could block this app for that reason?? not sure though....
Yeah I love my MyQ opener. Don’t know why it took me this long to wonder about this. Sure I can just use my phone, but that will be on it’s charging pad (I know my mid package won’t have the charging pad built in but I plan to hook one up in that space) and I’d have to reach down and grab it, unlock it, open the app and press the button every time I left the house or came back. Having it up on the screen for easy access would be a cool way to get past not having a built in opener (not that having the one attached to my visor will be some big issue, just feels like an interesting workaround for a built in device).

sanford

Black Diamond
First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado, Subaru Crosstrek, BD Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Why do you need a touchscreen opener when you can say “Hey Siri, open my garage door”? MyQ works with Siri which is built into CarPlay.

Sponsored
OP
OP
AcenTitus

AcenTitus

Badlands
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Why do you need a touchscreen opener when you can say “Hey Siri, open my garage door”? MyQ works with Siri which is built into CarPlay.
I did not know that. Weird wild stuff! Thanks :)

3D1F0426-4540-44C9-B5B6-88096CB994C8.gif

BroncoTodd

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model X 100D
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You should be able to do this via the homekit app, which i believe Is CarPlay compatible, or natively via Siri. Apple even references this in this support article.

It obviously would be simpler if MyQ just directly created their own CarPlay version of their app but as of now it’s not available.

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Fascinating. Who knew this was even a thing.

https://www.myq.com/apple-homekit

You have to add it to HomeKit. This does not guarantee that it will work as a tile in CarPlay. But, if it’s Siri controlled you should be able to ask Siri to open the garage while in your car through the steering wheel or by just talking to your phone.

Last edited:

TheWoo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No idea why the fascination with Apple Car Play. It is like 5 apps and the phone has to be plugged in. To me its useless
I use Android Auto, but same principle. I love it, as I have easy access to Google Assistant (Siri) and my needed apps through the infotainment system. Audio and maps are what I most use, and it's seamless.

Also, in Bronco, Car Play and Android Auto are wireless. No need to plug in.

Sponsored

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
OP
OP
AcenTitus

AcenTitus

Badlands
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Fascinating. Who knew this was even a thing.

https://www.myq.com/apple-homekit

You have to add it to HomeKit. This does not guarantee that it will work as a tile in CarPlay. But, if it’s Siri controlled you should be able to ask Siri to open the garage while in your car through the steering wheel or by just talking to your phone.
Yup I just tried and realized I needed to set it up. Hitting some road blocks but I’m sure I’ll figure it out before my Bronco gets here lol

Essmith94

Badlands
First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No idea why the fascination with Apple Car Play. It is like 5 apps and the phone has to be plugged in. To me its useless
You should check again. It’s wireless now in almost all new models and has more than 5 apps. At least 3 different Map apps (including Waze) and access to Sirius/XM over the App if you don’t want to pay for a second subscription.

OP
OP
AcenTitus

AcenTitus

Badlands
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The website seems to be telling me I need to buy a sold out addition just to link it to the HomeKit. Seems weird that I’d have to buy something that can be sold out in order to link one app in my phone to another app in my phone. Technology is fun. (I might be able to work it out still without buying anything new but it’s Sunday and I already got off the couch once for this)

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yup I just tried and realized I needed to set it up. Hitting some road blocks but I’m sure I’ll figure it out before my Bronco gets here lol
You likely have plenty of time! Lol
Sponsored