Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Hey y’all. Does anyone with apple CarPlay who also has a MyQ garage door opener that allows you to open your garage door with your phone know if you can use your infotainment screen to open your garage? This idea just popped into my head while thinking about how to maybe use an aux switch for my opener and realizing maybe there was another way. If not, anyone know why it wouldn’t work? Curious about the responses to this.
I have MyQ on my android but just like CarPlay only certain apps show on my Ford screen .... i hope the recent Android update will resolve that but so far my system hasn't updated over the air
Sponsored

GrumpyVet

Badlands
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Almost switched to the Meross from MyQ after being unable to setup HomeKit on iPad. But turns out AppleTV is the way to go with Docker running Homeassistant on Synology NAS. For setup, I did try with an old AppleTV 3 but it didn’t run HomeKit. I was able to get it working on the AppleTV 4K. Just removed my legacy opener from the Bronco and can now say “Hey Siri, Open garage.” The HomeLink was the only thing I wanted but didn’t add to my build and this beats it hands down. Thanks @Ghoffed for the idea.

Sherminiator

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

No idea why the fascination with Apple Car Play. It is like 5 apps and the phone has to be plugged in. To me its useless
Uh no it doesn't need to be plugged in to work...

nwGTS

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 GTS, BMW M3, VW Golf
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Almost switched to the Meross from MyQ after being unable to setup HomeKit on iPad. But turns out AppleTV is the way to go with Docker running Homeassistant on Synology NAS. For setup, I did try with an old AppleTV 3 but it didn’t run HomeKit. I was able to get it working on the AppleTV 4K. Just removed my legacy opener from the Bronco and can now say “Hey Siri, Open garage.” The HomeLink was the only thing I wanted but didn’t add to my build and this beats it hands down. Thanks @Ghoffed for the idea.
ELI5
How id you link your MyQ to HomeKit? Maybe it's Docker but that's a foreign language to me.

GrumpyVet

Badlands
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

ELI5
How id you link your MyQ to HomeKit? Maybe it's Docker but that's a foreign language to me.
There’s multiple options out there. I would assume Raspberry Pi is one of the more popular but currently I’m using all my pi’s to run AtomosFX so I followed to set it up on one of my NAS devices. At one point MyQ sold an overpriced bridge that allowed it but this has been discontinued.

Sponsored

helifino16

Wildtrak
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Dodge Challenger, 2007 FLHTC "Classic"
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I'm probably going to start a flame about people hating Alexa, but besides opening and closing by voice, I can also check to see if I left the door open. I can do all that on my phone also, but why fumble around with that when I'm driving. When I'm pulling into the driveway, not having to take one hand off the wheel and find the button to open the garage and hoping I'm still not too far away still is a big help.

Snappy22

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Pilot, 2022 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

There’s multiple options out there. I would assume Raspberry Pi is one of the more popular but currently I’m using all my pi’s to run AtomosFX so I followed to set it up on one of my NAS devices. At one point MyQ sold an overpriced bridge that allowed it but this has been discontinued.
I think I’m going to get Hoobs for an out of the box solution. Yes, expensive at $250, but also bring Ring into HomeKit universe amongst many other things. Prett awesome.
https://hoobs.com/

Gtrekker

Wildtrak
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Braptor, Audi, M1102 Overland Trailer 2-B
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Hmmmm. So I'm not an apple guy and assuming you do not have the Lux package to where the garage opener is on the visor....

In that case never mind... I'll get educated from a far. Lol

Snappy22

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Pilot, 2022 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs