Sponsored

Are the stock squatch tires really that bad?

Tricky Mike

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

and just buy 4 more of these when it's time.
I've seen 500 mile takeoffs for as low as $500. I'll snag a set of those when it's time to replace mine. I had switched to 37s full time but am now commuting almost 50 miles a day so I mounted up the old Goodyears again. I couldn't ask for a better daily driver tire. Quiet, good MPG, great winter grip.

PXL_20240318_213135397.jpg
Sponsored

BigBendBW

Heritage
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
I’ve been looking at replacing my stock Sasquatch Goodyears for a little while now and wow are there a lot of options. But the thing that really gets me is the pricing. I can’t seem to justify paying double the cost of new oem’s for other brands. Can bfg’s or toyos or Bridgestones or whatever really be worth that much more money? The only complaint I’ve really heard is that the oem tires pick up and throw rocks like crazy, which they do. But other than that I think they’ve been great for 40k miles. To buy a new set of 35” Goodyears is $1024 otd. Most other major brands are double that cost. Now I’m not doing any major off roading or rock crawling but if I wanted to, I think these tires would be more than capable. So why is everyone so willing to pay more for these other brands? Why is it worth it to you?
No, I have enjoyed them for about 13,000 miles between 2 Broncos. To each their own I suppose.

OP
OP
FTBronco9

FTBronco9

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I have been happy overall with the stock Goodyear tires, but I'll be getting something else when I wear these out (in about ten years at the rate I'm going).

I just did some tire pricing at Tire Rack and got two different prices for the Goodyear Wrangler Territory MT, $281.25 and $400.79. I couldn't figure out what the difference was between the two tires. Everything else that I looked at was between $350 and $400.

Here is the list of what I looked at, all in size LT315/70R17:
  • $403.99 BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KM3
  • $350.99 Firestone Destination X/T
  • $281.25 Goodyear Wrangler Territory MT
  • $400.79 Goodyear Wrangler Territory MT
  • $396.39 Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/T
  • $351.99 Firestone Destination M/T2
I'm thinking the Firestone M/T2 best meets my needs, followed by the BFGoodrich KM3. By the time I actually need tires I could change my mind.
My pricing online at Americas Tire for direct replacement that I found is $184/ea which is a great price compared to what you’re showing above and what I found for other brands at the same size.

OP
OP
FTBronco9

FTBronco9

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Iv'e had BFG KO's on both my Jeeps and my 85 4 Runner with no complaints...they are much quieter than the Sasquatch Goodyears...but I do like the Goodyear even though they are a little noisy.
so in your opinion, it’s worth an extra thousand dollars for the bfg’s? Serious question not being sarcastic.

Canyon Coolers

Wildtrak
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
canyoncoolers.com
Vehicle(s)
73 Bronco, Dodge 2500, Sprinter Van
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The OEM tires are 26# super light. Not in and of itself a bad thing, but I did split one, totally unrepairable. Saw 2 other catastrophically fail in Baja.

If your in the way wayback and want to know your well equipped these aren't the tires.

These are OEM for a few reasons, decent traction, but mostly they are light (mpg rating) and cheap.

Sponsored

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm running the stock sasquatch tires because I got a good local deal on a set of 5 barely used. No issue so far, and a bonus they are less weight than some other tires. I'd consider down the road buying another set, if people are still unloading them lightly used at good prices.

If off-roading every weekend maybe go with something hardier. Mostly though I've always bought cheap tires and had no issues, whichever decent AT tire was available on discount at the time. Just stay away from aggressive mud terrain tires for exclusive pavement use. I hear those things rumbling by and it doesn't make much sense.

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

so in your opinion, it’s worth an extra thousand dollars for the bfg’s? Serious question not being sarcastic.
Where to you get the "extra thousand" from? You never mentioned where you were pricing your tires. There have been at least three posts showing places to buy a full set that aren't even close to another $1000.

Please post where you're getting your numbers from.

Msell71

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco, 84 SVO, 66 2+2
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I live on gravel roads. Yes the Goodyear's toss rocks. Mud flaps have kept the chips away. They ride ok, handle pretty well at speed and not as noisy as tires I used to run on the F350 dually. They've been great in the snow this year, so that's a win. For the price and weight, I see no reason to buy any other type of tire when the time comes. My days of rock crawling are long gone, so no need for that type of tread.

On my 71 that I had years ago, I had swampers on it and it spent more of its time off road than on. Talk about loud!

KC5MO

Wildtrak
First Name
Herbert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wildtrak, 1975 CJ5
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Anyone running the Mickey Thompson MTZ?

roboticsrob

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

While I don't have the SAS tires, I do have the C Rated KO2's that came on my Badlands still on there. I am a pretty strong believer in using the tires that came on the vehicle for their useful life, you did pay for them after all. Once you get a puncture or two, or run down the tread, is when it's time to change the stock tires if you still want something different - plus keeping the stock tires on (with mileage appropriate tread wear) can't hurt your attempts at any warranty claims early in the vehicles service.

That said, I was on the trail with another 2 door that did have the SAS tires, and he picked up a large sidewall puncture that necessitated a tire change following the same line, so your mileage may vary.

Sponsored

One who waits long time

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250 Diesel, Road Glide Ultra, Fat Boy, Beta 500 R
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I mostly wheel in the snow and sand dunes. I went to 37 KO2's on the sas wheels with the bead locks. They still throw just as many rocks. The little bit of extra clearance is all I notice off road. I have to air down to 5 or 6 psi to really get around.

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’ve been looking at replacing my stock Sasquatch Goodyears for a little while now and wow are there a lot of options. But the thing that really gets me is the pricing. I can’t seem to justify paying double the cost of new oem’s for other brands. Can bfg’s or toyos or Bridgestones or whatever really be worth that much more money? The only complaint I’ve really heard is that the oem tires pick up and throw rocks like crazy, which they do. But other than that I think they’ve been great for 40k miles. To buy a new set of 35” Goodyears is $1024 otd. Most other major brands are double that cost. Now I’m not doing any major off roading or rock crawling but if I wanted to, I think these tires would be more than capable. So why is everyone so willing to pay more for these other brands? Why is it worth it to you?
I don't have the Sasquatch tires, but in speaking with some that do, one Achilles heel seems to be that the sidewalls aren't as strong against sharper rocks. You mentioned you aren't doing any significant off-roading, so if sharp rocks aren't part of what off-roading you do, you're probably fine with the Goodyears.

I hear you on saving money on tires. My "street shoes" are Goodyear Wrangler ATs. When I decided to do a more retro look, I didn't want to off-road with the white wheels, so I was committed to a second set of tires. I figured, why not get something cheaper that could do street and winter duty and mild off-roading? $178 each vs. $308 for KO2s. I put the Badlands wheels with KO2 tires on when we go off-roading. The Wrangler ATs will pay for themselves by daily driving with them and not replacing KO2s as often. When the KO2s wear out, I may consider something else, but I've been happy with them on- and off-road. Just are there are many different ways to use your Bronco, there are many different valid answers about which tire to use. :)

Onestepmore

Badlands
First Name
Amos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Badlands with Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
They are nice tires that you'll probably get 50,000 miles out of...I only have 7,000 on my Sasquatch Goodyears at this point but I'll bet I'll be replacing before 40,000. Tires are expensive what ever way you go but I don't think buying BFG's is a bad decision and they are worth the extra money...iN my opinion.

BroncoDave85

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I wouldn’t take a set of Goodyears if somebody tried to give them to me. Ford warranty replaced two of them with less than 12000 miles on the Bronco. By 30000 miles they were all coming apart little tears everywhere, even had a lug tear off. No heavy off roading just running Oklahoma gravel roads. Final straw was had multiple large tears in two of my tires in less than a week. Unable to be patched I put multiple plugs in and limped it to discount tire. I had them put a set of BFG K02s on and won’t look back. Far superior tire. Just FYI Discount Tire will price match any online deal you find. I saved about $500 on a set of 5.

ElonMuk

Black Diamond
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All the vehicles
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have an aftermarket set of rock rails/ steps and they seem to take majority of any rock fling after hitting the trails. I have no real complaints and no need to replace them until they wear out.
Sponsored