Sponsored

Auto Start / Stop - how to permanently disable?

XirallicBolts

Outer Banks
First Name
Xira
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Flex EcoBoost, 2022 Silverado LT
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
When you're sitting at a long stoplight, with the engine off, the AC is not working.
If it's 110* or more (as it frequently is where I live) this is a problem.
Which is why it will kick the engine back on if there's a heating/cooling demand. ASS doesn't work if it's over ~90°F anyway -- the system status displays "Engine On Due to Ambient Temperature" or something like that.

Hot-restarting a modern engine is not nearly the same thing as your morning cold start on a 90s Dodge. Manufacturers have gotten really good at optimizing motor performance.
One of the hardest parts of a cold start is that the starter is spinning as it engages with the flywheel. This sudden load is what causes the most wear. Auto-start-stop engages the pinion as the engine stops. When you're stopped and begin to restart, the pinion is already engaged and you don't have that sudden engagement wear like you would on a cold start. The eletronic controls and direct injection mean it can also alter fuel/spark timing to make the startup faster and easier on the motors.

---
The system doesn't bother me much on the Bronco. It's far more annoying on my Silverado -- that one will kick in even if you're creeping forward, making the entire truck lurch.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Gnomad

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base 2 dr, 7MT EG
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

1. It IS annoying.
2. totally unnecessary, just BS govt regulatory overreach
3. So what, if it’s been beat to death, just answer the question to help someone out, jeez.
If you like your ASS you can keep your ASS. But those who don't like ASS aren't going to be convinced so there's no need to tell us how great ASS is, the question is how to get rid of it, so if you don't have that answer leave us alone.
I have a 22 so I guess I'm lucky, Forscan did the trick nicely.

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

There are like 18 carbon copies of this exact same thread, devolving in the exact same way around here.

Almost all the posts can be boiled down to one of these

"How do I get ASS to stay off?"
"Don't be lazy, just push the button"
"Just use Sport mode all the time"
"Use the AutoStop Eliminator"
"Just use Forscan"
"Forscan doesn't work"
"Just use ProCal"

And the inevitable
"It's bad for my car" -- "No it isn't"
and
"It's great for the environment" -- "No It isn't"

Last edited:

Mjasi3

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

VailDan

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D Badlands(2023)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A) It's not annoying, it's barely even noticeable
B) It is, in fact, necessary for today's emission/economy standards. Manufacturers wouldn't spend the money to implement it if they didn't need to
C) There are numerous ways to disable it which have been beat to absolute death on this forum and internet wide
I had a thread about the start/stop issue I had with my 23 BL at night in the middle of road with a semi-trick having to back up past me in the opposite lane on a 2-lane highway. Bronco just would not re-start for 5 minutes and everyone wants to look for excuses like I missed something as to why it failed. I just stopped while this truck had blocked road because of low tunnel, got out to talk to other drivers while Bronco was in park, came back and Bronco to shift into drive and it was off. I would read messages on screen and hit button a thousand times after placing keys in cup holders and tried every combo, including shifting out if park multiple times, etc. to start it and it would never start back up. Everyone on here said shifting to park should have started it back up before I got out of Bronco, and I do notice that when I stop at end of driveway for mail, but maybe it was something with me walking away from Bronco with keys in my pocket and coming back, It was really narrow road and an absolute disaster with blocking all these other vehicles and so lucky that semi did not swipe the side of my Bronco as it was night and no lights on that road. I have not had any issues since, but I am going to keep hitting button to disable until I get past warranty period. It accomplishes nothing and if anything hopefully keeps my starter lasting longer, as I am sure those are a lot more heavy-duty and expensive now. Then I will install the auto-stop eliminator.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Phil Brown

Big Bend
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 F350, 1930 model A, 69 mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
There is a search feature but do we have something to block threads with certan key words like "auto start / stop" ?

Shazamalingo

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 OBX SAS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The auto start stop feature is not a government regulation.

If you want to get into the stupidity of the CAFE standards I am all for that, and yes this is a byproduct of that nonsense, but the feature itself is not a mandate from the government.

Any proof to back that "dangerous" claim up? I have heard it once before and never heard a word to actually back it up.
I have ASS enabled on all my gas cars. I think it is fine and most of the complaints do not really resonate with me. But, I will say my one minor gripe is that you do have a delay in getting power to the car. Now, most of the time you are at a light so it's no big deal. Where it's been a little awkward for me is when I am stopping at a light, engine cuts out, and the light turns green right away (i.e., I get to the red light and stop right before it turns green). There, the slight delay is a little unnerving. Not sure I have ever heard of anyone almost getting into an accident over it, but I kind of see this point.

billb1000

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Boss 302
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The auto start stop feature is not a government regulation.

If you want to get into the stupidity of the CAFE standards I am all for that, and yes this is a byproduct of that nonsense, but the feature itself is not a mandate from the government.

Any proof to back that "dangerous" claim up? I have heard it once before and never heard a word to actually back it up.
I put an eliminator in over a year ago and I feel it was one of the best modifications I've done.
If you have to make a left turn on a busy two lane road, cars are traveling at the rate of 70-90 feet per second. A delay of a fraction to one second caused by ASS can cause a hazardous situation .

PrepVet

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
If you have to make a left turn on a busy two lane road, cars are traveling at the rate of 70-90 feet per second. A delay of a fraction to one second caused by ASS can cause a hazardous situation .
Everyone already knows it delays your rig moving

No proof needed
So there is nothing you can sight for this “danger” aside from your feelings?

Sponsored

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So there is nothing you can sight for this “danger” aside from your feelings?
You were already a bit unhinged, but it is cite.

The other forum members posted about their personal experiences and they don't need to search for a double blind study to counter your inexplicable A.S.S. boot licking.

Try getting out of a reckless idiot's way when you're stopped due to traffic, but your power steering isn't working at full power yet due to A.S.S. I lost a side mirror to that and had been really close a handful of times before that. A.S.S. is more than just annoying for some people.

The EPA just, 2023, started implementing efforts to force manufacturers to stop an engine from idling too long for "keyless ignition" vehicles. That's not the regulations you're looking for someone else to bring up, though. The EPA, according to Car and Driver, offers the incentive (read, veiled threat) of only testing a vehicle's MPG and emissions with the system on as long as any shutoff method is "nonlatching" which means A.S.S. has to turn back on every time the vehicle turns on. Otherwise, they test the vehicle with it enabled and with it disabled and average the two results. I won't cite any studies that prove the engine puts out less emissions when it is off, sorry.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a...-to-deactivate-stopstart-systems-temporarily/

PrepVet

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
It's not feelings. It's based on my experience.
That’s fine but it is still not a documented safety issue. There is data collected on traffic crashes and I have yet to see auto start stop to be cited as a factor.

You were already a bit unhinged, but it is cite.

The other forum members posted about their personal experiences and they don't need to search for a double blind study to counter your inexplicable A.S.S. boot licking.

Try getting out of a reckless idiot's way when you're stopped due to traffic, but your power steering isn't working at full power yet due to A.S.S. I lost a side mirror to that and had been really close a handful of times before that. A.S.S. is more than just annoying for some people.

The EPA just, 2023, started implementing efforts to force manufacturers to stop an engine from idling too long for "keyless ignition" vehicles. That's not the regulations you're looking for someone else to bring up, though. The EPA, according to Car and Driver, offers the incentive (read, veiled threat) of only testing a vehicle's MPG and emissions with the system on as long as any shutoff method is "nonlatching" which means A.S.S. has to turn back on every time the vehicle turns on. Otherwise, they test the vehicle with it enabled and with it disabled and average the two results. I won't cite any studies that prove the engine puts out less emissions when it is off, sorry.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a...-to-deactivate-stopstart-systems-temporarily/
You really are not making a quotient argument. I asked a question. An “answer” was given without any evidence. I asked for said proof. If that is too much for you then there is a cry room in the back of the class.

I don’t care for start stop either but the people here that just freak out if you dare to question their feelings on it is just silly.

And the fact still remains. Auto start is not a government regulation. I don’t doubt they would like it to be, but it currently isn’t.

BroncoSYV

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What would be great is if the car just remained in your last chosen setting. Other automakers do this, but too much to ask of Ford I suppose