guernsej

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was told that 1 & 2 have most capacity and 5 & 6 have least. 3 and 4 are in middle. Don't remember the numbers. But I'm sure Ford is re-using here not a new implementation of the switches.
15/15/10/10/5/5

guernsej

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So here is what I'm wondering. I find it unbelievable that FOrd actually put different gauge wiring in for each of those switches to account for the different amperage ratings. I'm betting you can swap those fuses however you'd like and get the same effect.
One would hope, but unless they do something new for Bronco each switch is going to be run with the minimum gauge possible for chassis wiring based on that above amp ratings. On my truck Aux 5/6 are like 22-24 gauge.

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
One would hope, but unless they do something new for Bronco each switch is going to be run with the minimum gauge possible for chassis wiring based on that above amp ratings. On my truck Aux 5/6 are like 22-24 gauge.
Sure, but what gauge wire are switches 1-4?

guernsej

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sure, but what gauge wire are switches 1-4?
1/2 look to be 18, 3/4 is probably 20 (didn't measure with a caliper so I could be a bit off). Main takeaway is 1/2 are thicker than 3/4 and 5/6 are super thin.

Also, for others that were asking, power to aux circuits is cut when ignition is off.

Some general advice for anyone new to Ford's aux switch setup:
-use heat shrink insulated spade connectors to make wiring easier and keep your setup flexible (female for vehicle side, male for load side).
-they're great for powering lights, air horns, or electronics like radios/ that you want to be able to turn on/off while driving and that you don't need when the vehicle is off.
-they're also great for controlling relays for compressors, winches, and other high draw loads that are wired directly to the battery; however, you have to be in the cab to use them which isn't always convenient.
-they're not great for anything that needs power when the vehicle is off like fridges, security systems/electronics, camping chargers, or someone even mentioned a vehicle kill switch.

Sponsored

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
1/2 look to be 18, 3/4 is probably 20 (didn't measure with a caliper so I could be a bit off). Main takeaway is 1/2 are thicker than 3/4 and 5/6 are super thin.

Also, for others that were asking, power to aux circuits is cut when ignition is off.

Some general advice for anyone new to Ford's aux switch setup:
-use heat shrink insulated spade connectors to make wiring easier and keep your setup flexible (female for vehicle side, male for load side).
-they're great for powering lights, air horns, or electronics like radios/ that you want to be able to turn on/off while driving and that you don't need when the vehicle is off.
-they're also great for controlling relays for compressors, winches, and other high draw loads that are wired directly to the battery; however, you have to be in the cab to use them which isn't always convenient.
-they're not great for anything that needs power when the vehicle is off like fridges, security systems/electronics, camping chargers, or someone even mentioned a vehicle kill switch.
Sounds like using relays is the way to go. Either that or I'll end up rerunning the switch wires to support what I want to do. Annoying ....

deznut

Wildtrak
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Frontier
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Kill switch....hmmmm...maybe control a relay to dis-connect the ignition or fuel pump...so the thieves can't drive off...or maybe a "blow up" doll ( where is your mind going???) for the passenger seat ( see...I kept it clean) so I can drive in the "diamond lane" on the Fwy...or...maybe external speakers and a V8 ( with headers) recording...ha!

kimmnen

Badlands
First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Transit Connect & '22 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not sure what will be connected to the individual auxiliaries but will be adding to the top of the dash a BIGRED to find out what it really does. Maybe it is a shortcut to the auxiliaries all or nothing.
Ford Bronco Aux Switch Uses - Ideas?? 1603313692121

OP
OP
mostly harmless

mostly harmless

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 RAM 1500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m not super knowledgeable about electrical issues, so can you explain why a kill switch would need power while the vehicle is off?

guernsej

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m not super knowledgeable about electrical issues, so can you explain why a kill switch would need power while the vehicle is off?
I've never used a kill switch so I could be wrong, but I imagine they're wired one of two ways

1) power from the switch prevents starting the vehicle, which requires continuous power to work

or

2) power from the switch is an interlock for starting the vehicle, which needs power to turn the vehicle back on that's not available when the vehicle is off.

I guess if you wired it to kill the ignition system in a way that didn't also disable accessory power mode you could make it work...like maybe using the aux switch to enable your fuel pump relay...but then you run the risk of bumping the switch while driving and accidentally cutting your engine which seems way more likely than someone actually trying to steal your Bronco.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Stroopaloop

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GMC canyon all terrain
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Would these aux switches work for fire fighter lights and siren/airhorn? Asking for a friend.

JaxGtc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 EB Sport; 2021 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
They do not all have same capacity. I tried to put fogs on my Raptor on switch 5 and flood and driving light on 6, but it kept blowing the fuse so had to move to switch 2.

I was told that 1 & 2 have most capacity and 5 & 6 have least. 3 and 4 are in middle. Don't remember the numbers. But I'm sure Ford is re-using here not a new implementation of the switches.
I assume these switches are wired to a block, does anyone know if it is under the dash or under the hood?

Inventor

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
So there are six included/available factory installed auxiliary switches (depending on the model you are getting) for the new Broncos. I for one will probably not be mounting six switches worth of aftermarket lighting to my Bronco. So I am looking for other ideas for how to put these switches to use.

I have heard a few ideas already, such as running a mini fridge or winches. What are some other good uses for these switches?

Or what about less practical, but nonetheless amusing uses for them? I was thinking about labeling one of the buttons “DO NOT TOUCH!” and also rigging it to spray water in the passenger’s face if they flip it.

So let’s hear everybody’s ideas!!

C3272160-B1D6-4BD0-8297-B29F66B31FC2.png
Eventually ill hook up a lightning bolt weapon on the roof but when I'm driving it home from the dealer I'm just going to flick flick the switches and shift gears.

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

1. Fan for oil cooler
2. Fan for Trans cooler
3. Maybe lights, but I don't wheel at night if it's not needed.
Sponsored