First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just did a quick swap of the Hertz DCX 165.3 in the passenger kick panel and I think it's an improvement
everything is subjective, but to me better clarity, range and much better mids and high's

slighly less overall volume and not as heavy on the low's as the b&o

thanks for the feedback on the blockers @WheresMyCar
on the weekend I'll swap out the driver kick panel and try blockers on the front's
I tried a different hertz speaker in the kick panel, so you could be right. I donā€™t know if itā€™s worth pulling off again to try another.
Sponsored

talbot

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr BL AMB
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I tried a different hertz speaker in the kick panel, so you could be right. I donā€™t know if itā€™s worth pulling off again to try another.
if your happy with the results you have now probably not

the kickers were definately the least bang for your buck for improvements
but I'm half way now and pretty certain I'll be happy with results when fully swapped

OP
OP
WheresMyCar

WheresMyCar

Badlands
First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
if your happy with the results you have now probably not

the kickers were definately the least bang for your buck for improvements
but I'm half way now and pretty certain I'll be happy with results when fully swapped
Listening to the hertz today, Iā€™m sure the ones you put in the kick panel have better clarity. I just donā€™t want to lose the lows of the oem. Iā€™m not sure what Iā€™ll do. Probably just live it for a few weeks and see.

mhtucker78

Outer Banks
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 OBX Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

@WheresMyCar Followed as my Bronco was built this week šŸ¤ž so starting to buy the upgrades. Based on a lot of reading on this forum I also chose the hertz 100.3 (due to sensitivity). Debating bass blockers (got 150Hz and 300Hz) because was under the impression that the dsp which controls the front corners did the ā€˜blockingā€™. Will move the fronts to he rear pods and have also acquired the 24$ center channel. Anyway thanks for posting all your trials and tribulations.

OP
OP
WheresMyCar

WheresMyCar

Badlands
First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@WheresMyCar Followed as my Bronco was built this week šŸ¤ž so starting to buy the upgrades. Based on a lot of reading on this forum I also chose the hertz 100.3 (due to sensitivity). Debating bass blockers (got 150Hz and 300Hz) because was under the impression that the dsp which controls the front corners did the ā€˜blockingā€™. Will move the fronts to he rear pods and have also acquired the 24$ center channel. Anyway thanks for posting all your trials and tribulations.
My suggestion is to test the the hertz with and without the blockers, moving the balance from left to right and back to hear the difference with multiple songs. You may like it without. Without, itā€™s louder and more clear, but less dynamic sound and bass. Imo

Imo, Eq controls didnā€™t change the overall sound in the front corners. The only thing you can do is test it and see for yourself.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Ibuprofen3293

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22MY Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My $.02...

I changed my B&O FR/FL speakers to Hertz CX 100 (they won my extensive Crutchfield listen and compare session). Massive difference; I'm very pleased.

I changed my center dash speaker to the PRV AUDIO 4MR60-4 woofer, at the recommendation of some other threads. I don't really notice a difference from stock. This one recently started buzzing a bit, so I need to get back in there and see if I can mitigate the buzz with foam. Otherwise I may just disconnect this speaker.

I changed my rear speakers to Hertz K 165 in the Mabett pods. I initially tried some CX 165, but the tweeter did not fit under the grille, so I went with the component style speakers, and drilled/glued the tweeters into the blank space on the grille. If you fade all the way rear.... these still sound like shit. But if you have a mix of front/rear fade, they are a definite improvement over stock. Not worth the $300 to replace the pods and speakers, IMO. If I could do it again, I'd replace with some cheaper 4" and put that money into improve the sub.

I haven't touched the kick panel or sub yet, but the sub is definitely on my mind.

bradcd

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saab 9-3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My $.02...

I changed my B&O FR/FL speakers to Hertz CX 100 (they won my extensive Crutchfield listen and compare session). Massive difference; I'm very pleased.

I changed my center dash speaker to the PRV AUDIO 4MR60-4 woofer, at the recommendation of some other threads. I don't really notice a difference from stock. This one recently started buzzing a bit, so I need to get back in there and see if I can mitigate the buzz with foam. Otherwise I may just disconnect this speaker.

I changed my rear speakers to Hertz K 165 in the Mabett pods. I initially tried some CX 165, but the tweeter did not fit under the grille, so I went with the component style speakers, and drilled/glued the tweeters into the blank space on the grille. If you fade all the way rear.... these still sound like shit. But if you have a mix of front/rear fade, they are a definite improvement over stock. Not worth the $300 to replace the pods and speakers, IMO. If I could do it again, I'd replace with some cheaper 4" and put that money into improve the sub.

I haven't touched the kick panel or sub yet, but the sub is definitely on my mind.
Have you tried filling any of the speaker cavities with polyfil?

Fonz54

Badlands
First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Commander, Porsche Cayenne, Mercedes C250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does changing the speakers from OEM to after market such as Kicker or Hertz, do you need to do some rejiggering using ForScan?

talbot

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr BL AMB
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does changing the speakers from OEM to after market such as Kicker or Hertz, do you need to do some rejiggering using ForScan?
not required for the B&O system

for the standard audio, a forscan change will provide full range to rear speaker to get best results

SLCBronco

Badlands
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My $.02...

Would you mind posting a pic of your tweeter install on the pods? I was thinking about doing the same, but wasnā€™t sure if it would work.

Sponsored
OP
OP
WheresMyCar

WheresMyCar

Badlands
First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I ripped out the 4ā€ Kicker CS from the rears and replaced with the 4ā€ Hertz DCX-1003. Huge difference. So clear and louder. I also got the 150-300hz bass blockers for the front and soldered them in the wiring harness. Getting extra pair of hertz tomorrow and hopefully Iā€™m done. šŸ¤ž

The 4ā€ kicker CS only had slight improvement over OEM in the rear, and Hertz significant imo.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WheresMyCar

WheresMyCar

Badlands
First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My $.02...

Itā€™s not always about size. I have the 4ā€ Hertz DCX-1003 in rear, & they sound fab. So clear and loud. I tried a few types of 6.5s in the kick panel and wasnā€™t impressed. Even the Hertz C 165 6-1/2" Woofer terrible.

Since you already have the bigger pods maybe try the Hertz Dieci Series DCX-1653 6.5".

Iā€™m surprised you think the new center sucks. I believe I have the same one. The oem one is paper cone garbage. Maybe itā€™s not the best, I dunno what other option is better. The center is more of a filler. I didnā€™t want another tweeter in the center. I donā€™t recall if I tested the center without a blocker, Iā€™ll have to look back in my comments.

Did you put a bass blocker on the new Center? I installed a 150-300hz blocker on mine.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WheresMyCar

WheresMyCar

Badlands
First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Nope, just simple swap.

OP
OP
WheresMyCar

WheresMyCar

Badlands
First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Hertz DCX-1003 4" install is not as straightforward as other speakers.

Front, you need to pop off the plastic post. If you get a ready made wiring harness, it wonā€™t fit the negative end on the speaker. They are both big male terminals. Snip off and replace with a bigger one.

Rear, you have to remove two tabs on the speaker to fit. I used my Dremel because it is extremely thick metal, unlike the Kickers CS has you can just snip off. I cut the tabs off with the speaker faced down.

Just need to heat the heat shrink down on the blockers and install tomorrow. There is a solder station at work, so that makes things easy for me, but my skills are super rusty.
2A5B6DE9-DBFD-4E85-9422-485142CE6C00.jpeg

753C7A17-10CC-487F-ACA5-9609ADAA4C80.jpeg

B2240580-F098-431F-8278-59DDDD074356.jpeg

Last edited:

mhtucker78

Outer Banks
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 OBX Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Itā€™s not always about size. I have the 4ā€ Hertz DCX-1003 in rear, & they sound fab. So clear and loud. I tried a few types of 6.5s in the kick panel and wasnā€™t impressed. Even the Hertz C 165 6-1/2" Woofer terrible.

Since you already have the bigger pods maybe try the Hertz Dieci Series DCX-1653 6.5".

Iā€™m surprised you think the new center sucks. I believe I have the same one. The oem one is paper cone garbage. Maybe itā€™s not the best, I dunno what other option is better. The center is more of a filler. I didnā€™t want another tweeter in the center. I donā€™t recall if I tested the center without a blocker, Iā€™ll have to look back in my comments.

Did you put a bass blocker on the new Center? I installed a 150-300hz blocker on mine.
Paper is not what makes them garbage, itā€™s the size/strength of the magnets. Lots of speaker manufacturers use paper or ā€˜pulp compositeā€™ fibers. In fact the hertz are paper cones as well.
Sponsored