First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I know Webasto makes the Jeep top. I just can't figure out why they can't make the Bronco top. :)

As far as different the only thing I can figure is Ford's design team cheaped out on materials trying to save money. That's just me thinking, and I have been wrong before. Just ask my wife. lol
Yā€™all realize the only thing similar between the Wrangler and Bronco top is the shape right? They couldnā€™t be any more different in materials and construction method. And Webasto hasnā€™t made the wrangler top for many years.

Ford set out to make a better top. Lighter. Outer MiC shell for durability and scratch resistance, vs the wrangler one piece construction molded white and the outside is painted black.

Unfortunately the design was too ambitious and has proven to be a nightmare to produce at volume.
Sponsored

Richtor

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Tremor 7.3, 21 Badlands Sasquatch Stick(order)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yā€™all realize the only thing similar between the Wrangler and Bronco top is the shape right? They couldnā€™t be any more different in materials and construction method. And Webasto hasnā€™t made the wrangler top for many years.

Ford set out to make a better top. Lighter. Outer MiC shell for durability and scratch resistance, vs the wrangler one piece construction molded white and the outside is painted black.

Unfortunately the design was too ambitious and has proven to be a nightmare to produce at volume.
Who makes Jeeps tops now?
Ford had 5 yrs of R&D on the tops. It should not be this way.

Tkekich

Big Bend
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I too have a MIC 2.0 top, built in July, sat at DM until November 19th delivery. I've been to the dealership service dept. twice now for MIC roof issues, honeycombing, leaking at the front , and unsealed edges. At least its a warranty issue.

Sponsored

John Auer

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Nautilus, Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Does anyone know who makes the original equipment hardtops for Jeep? Seems to be a secret.

Markpf189

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Does anyone know if an extended warranty would cover the mic top in the future? Leaks etc.

Dmesser92

Big Bend
First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Toyota Pickup 4x4 DLX
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Does anyone know who makes the original equipment hardtops for Jeep? Seems to be a secret.
Webasto I believe. The same company that makes the tops for Broncos.

John Auer

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Someone on here said Webasto doesnā€™t make the hardtop.

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Several folks here over the last couple years have said it's a boat hull manufacturer: McLaughlin Boat Works

Sponsored

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Webasto only makes the fancy sky one touch top. The Jeep plastic top and paint to match top are made by someone else, likely still the boat hull company listed above.

John Auer

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Several folks here over the last couple years have said it's a boat hull manufacturer: McLaughlin Boat Works
Thanks. No matter who makes them, they and Ford better get their collective shit together.

MarkusBigBucks

Badlands
First Name
Markus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Superduty 7.3 PSD, 2017 Ford Escape.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
ok , so yes in my opinion you also have a mix matched top, I zoomed in on your picture and I can actually see the fiberglass in the top two pictures but not the bottom, all edges should look like the bottom ones , finished. I can walk out and look at my FE top and see the same exact thing, the Ford Dealer ship looked at my top and they agree , over TIME water will get in and freeze and delaminate. You are not taking OVER TIME into consideration meaning in a few years. I am not looking for a argument , I am just saying those edges are white because it is fiberglass you are looking at . If they are smooth then maybe ford sealed them with something . But they should be black like the bottom picture. Tomorrow a Ford Tech from Ford Motor Co. not the dealer is reviewing my top for replacement and it looks exactly like yours. I will let you know what they say. Once again I am not trying to argue with you I am just saying, if your top is like the rest you want it replaced now or in a few years you might be regretting it.
I should correct myself as I used the word Fiberglass, it has been brought to my attention it is actually some type of plastic injected into some type of composite , Webasco site suggest maybe polyurethane into a honeycomb substate of some sort. I donā€™t know exactly what itā€™s made of but to me it resembles something more like fiberglass. A update on my top itā€™s starting to delaminate more after our one week freeze . Ford has reached out to me again and it sounds like they are going to replace it. My dealer has been backing me up one hundred percent and completely agreeing with my assessment of top. They also informed me 3 weeks ago if I was to buy this top today it will cost $7800.
Sponsored