Sponsored

Badlands non-SAS 4.46 gears running 37s?

Inlinejohn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

With the recent FORD constraints, it’s likely I’ll have to remove the SAS package which converts me from 4.7 to 4.46 gears. It was my plan to run 37s so I’m asking
1) what are affects if I don’t change gears and are these negative
2) if you changed gears, did you have FORD do or?

They quoted me about $4K including parts
Sponsored

Copperhorse73

Wildtrak
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4 door Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

4.46 instead of 4.7 = a little less get up and go, a little better gas mileage most likely. If you get the 2.7 motor it should be plenty good (Probably adequate with the 2.3). There’s really not much difference in those 2 ratios.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Agree with @Copperhorse73.

If we were still in the days of 5 or 6-speed automatics... the gearing would have been a bit of an issue. But the Bronco has a 10-speed automatic transmission which is plenty of gearing to overcome a minor axle gearing change like that.

Unless you are a enthusiast off-roader, you likely wouldn't even notice the difference between the two unless your drove them back-to-back.

Fmuguira

Badlands
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If it was me and I was gonna change R&P gearing for 37” tires I d step into 5:13 s or something similar depending on what’s available. Remember you have a big overdrive 10 th gear. 5:13 s with 37 s would be similar overall gearing wise to 4.70 with 35 s

OP
OP
Inlinejohn

Inlinejohn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If it was me and I was gonna change R&P gearing for 37” tires I d step into 5:13 s or something similar depending on what’s available. Remember you have a big overdrive 10 th gear. 5:13 s with 37 s would be similar overall gearing wise to 4.70 with 35 s
I’m hoping to avoid the expense all together

Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

5% difference, you'll never notice

Fmuguira

Badlands
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
5% on gearing but then another 5-6% increase in tire height.

You ll have plenty of “power” with the 2.7 BUT you might find yourself into boost more frequently which hammers on fuel mileage. If that’s not a concern then go for it.

Best scenario would be to find someone with 37 s who d let you drive their rig. (Especially if it’s a SAS) That d give you a very good comparison prior to spending $$ on R&P change.

BTW, $4K sounds a little stiff. Might shop around and see if you can get it done for a grand or so less from a reputable shop.

Good Luck

luvmybronco

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Bronco sport, 1969 Bronco sport, 1990 F250 Lariat 4x4, 2015 F150 Lariat super crew 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m in the same dilemma. I only ordered Sas to get 4.7 ratio on my BL with 2.7. My thinking is this…If I remove the Sas, it’ll save $2495 from my order, plus another $2500 from Ford to remove it giving me almost 5k to have it regeared. I was planning on different wheels/tires anyways along with Icon stage 8 lift to accommodate 37” tires. Ford might have help me on this allowing me to go to 5:13 which is better to run 37’s anyways

2020FordRaptor

Wildtrak
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
With the recent FORD constraints, it’s likely I’ll have to remove the SAS package which converts me from 4.7 to 4.46 gears. It was my plan to run 37s so I’m asking
1) what are affects if I don’t change gears and are these negative
2) if you changed gears, did you have FORD do or?

They quoted me about $4K including parts
You'll be perfectly fine. The 2.3L will feel the 37s a little, but the 2.7L won't feel a difference.

OP
OP
Inlinejohn

Inlinejohn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If I plan to tow an Overlanding trailer (Turtleback) that’s filled with gear, food, water, etc and could approach 3000-3500lb, with 4.46 gearing make this a challenge/nightmare?

Sponsored

steverollin

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr Badlands, BMW X7, LX 570, TRX on order
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have 37s on 4.46 and it is fine. It’s a much better ratio than a million Jeeps have been running forever with 4.10 or even 3.73 with 35s. I’m on ko2 37x12.5 so they are a tad smaller than some 37s but with the 2.7 and ten speed I am blown away by how well mine drives. I get shitty gas mileage but I do in every car I’ve ever owned. Think it’s just my driving style because it’s consistently bad. But not why I bought this car.

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I agree. The only problem would be is that Dana states that 4.7's are as deep as you can go in the stock 210. The gears physically do not fit properly.

5% difference, you'll never notice
Yep, usually to justify any money spent 10% difference would be minimum.

I’m in the same dilemma. I only ordered Sas to get 4.7 ratio on my BL with 2.7. My thinking is this…If I remove the Sas, it’ll save $2495 from my order, plus another $2500 from Ford to remove it giving me almost 5k to have it regeared. I was planning on different wheels/tires anyways along with Icon stage 8 lift to accommodate 37” tires. Ford might have help me on this allowing me to go to 5:13 which is better to run 37’s anyways
For 5.13's, you'll have to look into Dana's ultimate 44 or another front axle option $$$$+

At about 4:20

Last edited:

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I’ve been on 37’s for 6k miles with 4.27 gears can still see 20 mpg freeway on the lie O meter on the dash. In reality I’ve lost 1.4mpg doing the math from the stock OBX tires. Climbed everything on drummond that our club trip did. I have been up every angle of MT Magna at holly oaks, in the sand dunes it does great. The 4.46 gears will be fine. You’ll still have the M210 front diff. Imo sas is a waste of $$ on the badlands. Don’t bother regearing get the tires drive it around. If you absolutely feel you need to regear then spend the $$. If you’re not flat out rock crawling hardcore you don’t need to re gear esp with the 10 speed trans.

Hey Buddy

Base
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Base Model 2-Door 2.3L 7-Speed
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I thought the Badlands all come with 4.7 ratios SAS or NON-SAS?
:unsure:
Sponsored