Sponsored

Bang for the Buck? (OBX SAS vs Badlands non-SAS)

airishfan

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I did not go with the BL or BD because the vinyl seats going suck when its hot .
Sponsored

OP
OP
GrayEagleRider

GrayEagleRider

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler (YJ) Subaru legacy KTM 690 Enduro R
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Unlike the gentleman who thinks OBX SAS is a bad deal compared to WT, once Ford took the best parts of what WT was supposed to be away, an optioned up OBX with SAS became the best deal for me. Same money if you add SAS, high, modular bumper and aux switches. You lose Baja mode (easily added with ForScan) and a stupid hood sticker. You gain side steps, painted mirrors and handles, and most importantly IMO access to the roast interior and dash with blue accents. This was the big thing for me, as Iā€™m in AZ and hated the camo and black seat options. Canā€™t do leather or MGV here with the heat and top down, and the cloth roast seats and dash look amazing. I donā€™t regret switching from WT to my Velocity Blue, SAS, cloth roast interior, modular bumper, 2.7L, aux switches and high package. I get complimented on it every day, and Iā€™ve never enjoyed driving another vehicle more. (Despite 17 MPG). The proportions and feel are just perfect with SAS for what the Bronco is.
C5B31D9D-9F9E-4484-A8DD-2B17FA28E370.jpeg
EE19D5BA-BEBC-4A3A-B4CA-BB12C333BAAD.jpeg
E97F7139-86FE-401C-825B-1468DBEA68D9.jpeg
78729E8B-8CC4-471B-BB93-2BF4E47C4C26.jpeg
I totally agree. I was looking at a WT but really didnā€™t like the only interior option and read that there are fewer allocations for that trim. When you compare the WT with an OBX options similarly the OBX makes more since.

That interior does look good with the VB color. Very nice!

MnLakeBum

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 Range Rover Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I got the non Sasquatch OBX to speed up my order and then bought some Sasquatch take offs and mounted 35ā€ Wildpeaks on them. Total cost with the 1.25ā€ front leveling kit minus the $750 I got for my factory OBX wheels/tires was about $3000. Iā€™m still waiting for a VIN on my OBX/MIC/Sasquatch 7/20/20 reservation but itā€™s been 6,000 miles of fun over the last 3+ months. I really think the 4 door needs 35ā€ tires.
Ford Bronco Bang for the Buck? (OBX SAS vs Badlands non-SAS) 88607AF4-921F-424C-B280-158B473C38F4
Ford Bronco Bang for the Buck? (OBX SAS vs Badlands non-SAS) 2D838994-581F-4212-A9A5-64599B28B4BC

OP
OP
GrayEagleRider

GrayEagleRider

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I got the non Sasquatch OBX to speed up my order and then bought some Sasquatch take offs and mounted 35ā€ Wildpeaks on them. Total cost with the 1.25ā€ front leveling kit minus the $750 I got for my factory OBX wheels/tires was about $3000. Iā€™m still waiting for a VIN on my OBX/MIC/Sasquatch 7/20/20 reservation but itā€™s been 6,000 miles of fun over the last 3+ months. I really think the 4 door needs 35ā€ tires.
Ford Bronco Bang for the Buck? (OBX SAS vs Badlands non-SAS) 2D838994-581F-4212-A9A5-64599B28B4BC
Looks great!

I have thought about that route but would like the front locker. How long did it take to get the non-SAS OBX? What constraints were on the order?

Coldsmoke

Badlands
First Name
Knuckles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A friend has the badlands SAS and I have the Badlands non-SAS. Both 4 door with MIC tops. Honestly, with the exception of the wider fender flares its difficult to really tell the difference. I would suspect the real difference would be known if/when changing a flat tire because the weight of the wheel/tire is substantially heavier for the SAS. It all boils down to your personal beliefs on which is better. As for OBX versus Badlands that boils down to the interior preference as someone earlier mentioned.

Sponsored

Dadsquatch

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Unlike the gentleman who thinks OBX SAS is a bad deal compared to WT, once Ford took the best parts of what WT was supposed to be away, an optioned up OBX with SAS became the best deal for me. Same money if you add SAS, high, modular bumper and aux switches. You lose Baja mode (easily added with ForScan) and a stupid hood sticker. You gain side steps, painted mirrors and handles, and most importantly IMO access to the roast interior and dash with blue accents. This was the big thing for me, as Iā€™m in AZ and hated the camo and black seat options. Canā€™t do leather or MGV here with the heat and top down, and the cloth roast seats and dash look amazing. I donā€™t regret switching from WT to my Velocity Blue, SAS, cloth roast interior, modular bumper, 2.7L, aux switches and high package. I get complimented on it every day, and Iā€™ve never enjoyed driving another vehicle more. (Despite 17 MPG). The proportions and feel are just perfect with SAS for what the Bronco is.
Agree 100%. Although I went leather and am also in AZ, primarily because I have kids and would rather wipe down leather from their messes than try to clean cloth and risk stains. My legs will be hot but Iā€™ll deal with it. I too weighed OBX SAS vs WT, but the interior options and color matched mirrors and door handles on the OBX is so much nicer than the WT. I really donā€™t like the black plastic mirrors and door handles on all the other trims. Just more black plastic to oxidize and turn white. I did like when the ā€˜21 WT models had the black painted mirrors and color match door handles but they took that away.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Get the SAS. It just looks right on the 4 door. There are a couple of 4 door non-Sas near my home and they just don't look right when you see the Sas package.
As a 4-door non-sas owner I reluctantly agree with this statement. I'm starring to believe that Ford designed the 4-door and sas for eachother and the 2-door and non-sas for eachother, then checked the other two configurations and figured they were good enough.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Agree 100%. Although I went leather and am also in AZ, primarily because I have kids and would rather wipe down leather from their messes than try to clean cloth and risk stains. My legs will be hot but Iā€™ll deal with it.
I've had leather. What's that burning smell? Oh right, it's my flesh. Leather and MGV were a complete non-starter for me. Drove an BD at the McDowell event and the MGV was unpleasantly hot in April.

But... I actually like the "camo" cloth that was available on the WT. Earnhardt had that on their manequin, which I test drove. But I wasn't about to downgrade to an automatic transmission either.

ATLBronco75

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Iā€™ve got a non-sas Badlands on 34s and Iā€™d buy the same thing again. Not a fan of Sas fenders and Iā€™ve parked next to Sas and the difference in height is minuscule.

MnLakeBum

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 Range Rover Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Looks great!

I have thought about that route but would like the front locker. How long did it take to get the non-SAS OBX? What constraints were on the order?
123 days from order date to delivery. I ordered 12/09/21 from the same dealer that I have my 7/20/20 reservation with and the 2.7L/LUX/Leather/ were the only constraints. No MIC or Sasquatch had something to to do with the speedy delivery. My first week order adds MIC and Sasquatch and doesnā€™t have leather as Iā€™m going the Katskinz route. My adult daughter who just graduated from college is going to buy the soft top Bronco from me when my original order comes in.

The funniest part is I wonā€™t need the MIC top by the time my original order is delivered because we become empty nesters in 12 months and the Bronco will be in Florida with us for the winter. It will never see high temps below 60Āŗ but when I ordered it I thought it would be in MN for a couple of winters. Iā€™ll give her the hard top off of mine as she will be wintering in MN, lol.

Last edited:

Sponsored

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Sounds like most of the discussion here is about what it looks like and less about what it can do. With that in mind, nearly everything that makes a SAS vehicle look good can be purchased aftermarket for possibly less.

OP
OP
GrayEagleRider

GrayEagleRider

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
123 days from order date to delivery. I ordered 12/09/21 from the same dealer that I have my 7/20/20 reservation with and the 2.7L/LUX/Leather/ were the only constraints. No MIC or Sasquatch had something to to do with the speedy delivery. My first week order adds MIC and Sasquatch and doesnā€™t have leather as Iā€™m going the Katskinz route. My adult daughter who just graduated from college is going to buy the soft top Bronco from me when my original order comes in.

The funniest part is I wonā€™t need the MIC top by the time my original order is delivered because we become empty nesters in 12 months and the Bronco will be in Florida with us for the winter. It will never see high temps below 60Āŗ but when I ordered it I thought it would be in MN for a couple of winters. Iā€™ll give her the hard top off of mine as she will be wintering in MN, lol.
123 days is very fast for a bronco!

I think Iā€™ve decided to go the OBX SAS route with soft top, 2.7, high package, and leather, with roast interior and VB paint. No tow package. Iā€™m expecting around a year for delivery from whenever the order banks open. Willing to wait for all the goodness the SAS package provides and the extra time will allow for a bigger down payment. I donā€™t think a BLs would get delivered any sooner since that package is also constrained as well as the WT. going to be a long year, lol!

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Might as well add tow. The Sasquatch suspention and wheels are the sticking point. Tow isn't going to slow it down more than that. Soft top will help more than anything and you already decided on that.

OP
OP
GrayEagleRider

GrayEagleRider

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Last I heard the SAS was at 45 percent while tow was 40ish. The tracking chart shows only 51 percent order SAS which means itā€™s not a huge bottleneck since supply and demand are almost equal. Sounds like the wheel producers in China are back open so hopefully it wonā€™t be a huge setback. My assumption is that a higher percentage order tow that itā€™s availability. It might be bad math, but I donā€™t need a 7 pin connection and donā€™t want to stack constraints that I can add later.

BSheppard

Badlands
First Name
Ballard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor, GT350, 991, Rubicon, Viper, Nissan Z32
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Something that a lot of folks donā€™t talk about is the Badlands color combination of the interior.

I love the light grey dash and it is such a cool design. Both in style and temp. One of my favorite things about the badlands interior no one talks about.

Itā€™s hard to capture in pictures.
Sponsored