First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Great Video. Any thoughts on putting Marine speakers in First thought I had seeing your top down in the video was getting rained on.
If you want to go marine grade to be on the safe side, the Polk Audio DB402 is an excellent speaker, particularly at the price (about $80/pair). You get 91 db sensitivity, 45 watts RMS power handling and a two-way speaker vs. the one-way that is the factory speaker in the base stereo system. I installed these in our boat and was happy with their power and clarity at higher volume, which is needed in a boat, particularly to overcome the noise of the engine. Even if you aren't particular about marine grade, this are a great choice for the price.

Another great option is the Rockford Fosgate Punch P142 for a little more money ($120/pair). They can handle a little more power (65 watts RMS) and have an oversized cone for a little more bass reach, which may help fill the midrange and compensate for the extra high range you're getting by going with a two-way over the factory one-way speaker.

Of course, if someone is going to replace the head unit and add amps, these speakers may not be up to the task, but I'll assume that person knows what they are doing, what they want and how much they have to spend. :)
Sponsored

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Someone else said they were 4ohm but would it be okay to change the dash ones out with a 3ohms
It's fine. The 3 ohm speakers are a common way to get more punch out of cheap factory systems that come with under-sized wiring. That said, I think the two speakers I recommended in the previous post are probably better options at the price range, and they are both 4 ohm.

Designkid

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Awesome write up and video you guys! Just pulled the trigger on a full kicker cs series replacements. My Badlands should here soon so I'm chomping at the bit to upgrade stuff haha. Didn't feel like going super pricey since I'm not a huge audiophile and just want something "nice". Interested in seeing your update when everything is done and how it is with top up/down driving.

MotownSpartan

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Escape XLT 6cyl
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thank You very much! Got a Badlands mid-package on order so this area of sound reinforcement will be high in priority. Great video content on YouTube.

Altitude

Badlands
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Grand Cherokee, 2008 Suzuki B-King
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Now we just someone to get behind the dash and figure out the wiring system to install an amp that allows for high level inputs.

Here's my initial thoughts on an install:

JL Audio MX500/4 Compact marine/powersports 4-channel amplifier — 70 watts RMS x 4 at Crutchfield

JL Audio MX500/1 Compact marine/powersports mono amplifier — 500 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms at Crutchfield

JL Audio C2-400X Evolution™ C2 Series 4" 2-way car speakers at Crutchfield

JL Audio C2-650X Evolution™ C2 Series 6-1/2" 2-way car speakers at Crutchfield

JL Audio M6-10W-S-GwGw-4 (Gloss White Sport Grille) M6 Series 10" marine subwoofer — optimized for sealed or ported enclosures at Crutchfield

I reckon the amps are small enough to be mounted under the dash somewhere, and should give sufficient SQL and SPL for decent quality and loud enough when cruising with the top and doors off. Not sure on the sub., but I'm guessing that JL will produce a stealthbox at some point for the Bronco.

Last edited:

Sponsored

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Taking the doors off to work on wiring is a game changer I’m looking forward to.

bdub2you

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think I found it. (Molex page actually have an interactive model of it, so you can spin it around to check indexing groove location, etc)

https://www.molex.com/molex/products/part-detail/crimp_housings/0310671041

there are a number of variants. The one we need is polarization B. The xmas tree variants simply have a slot on the side for attaching to something else. don't think it's needed in this application.

And here's it is on Mouser.com
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Molex/31067-1041?qs=/ha2pyFaduhxdZOTGmaJU9k6C3bCaTton18hTyYKq9nqgZ0B4E/AqA==
That's exactly it. I don't think I've ever seen that crimp housing on a car audio harness before.

Until Metra comes out with a harness for this, I think I'm just going to cut the male adapters out of the factory ford speakers and then solder on to them. I'll replace that with the Metra harness when available. I never want to cut a factory wiring harness connectors unless I absolutely have to, and in this case I think a rotary tool to the factory speaker plastic will get me my male adapter for now.

Last edited:

peta8368

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Polaris Slingshot
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

That's exactly it. I don't think I've ever seen that crimp housing on a car audio harness before.

Until Metra comes out with a harness for this, I think I'm just going to cut the male adapters out of the factory ford speakers and then solder on to them. I'll replace that with the Metra harness when available. I never want to cut a factory wiring harness connectors unless I absolutely have to, and in this case I think a rotary tool to the factory speaker plastic will get me my male adapter for now.
I thought about that, but I am reluctant to destroy the factory speaker. That connector appears to be molded onto the factory speaker basket. To remove and reuse it means destroying the factory one. Once I upgrade the speakers, I probably would never go back to factory speakers anyways, so it's not really a big deal. But I'm a pack rat, and I try to save and keep everything intact. For someone who isn't a stickler about that, that is indeed a viable option.

Peter

bdub2you

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I thought about that, but I am reluctant to destroy the factory speaker. That connector appears to be molded onto the factory speaker basket. To remove and reuse it means destroying the factory one. Once I upgrade the speakers, I probably would never go back to factory speakers anyways, so it's not really a big deal. But I'm a pack rat, and I try to save and keep everything intact. For someone who isn't a stickler about that, that is indeed a viable option.

Peter
Yeah, the second the factory speakers are out of the vehicle they'd be in the trash for me so destroying the factory ones means nothing to me versus cutting a factory harness in the vehicle I'm actually going to be using.

BEM-S4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMWs & Porsches
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yeah, the second the factory speakers are out of the vehicle they'd be in the trash for me so destroying the factory ones means nothing to me versus cutting a factory harness in the vehicle I'm actually going to be using.
I always keep stock stuff packed up in storage, who the hell knows if you ever have an issue someday always nice to go back to factory if there's ever a warranty repair.

Sponsored

FATHORSE

Big Bend
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nissan
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Anyone find the perfect 4" speakers? OP is a fan of JBL, which I can agree with. Had a subwoofer in my living room that nearly tore my first house down to the foundation. ! I am going to start my wish list and sound sampling. I will let everyone know if i find any good deals, or not so good deals with exceptional sound. Would appreciate the same.

FATHORSE

Big Bend
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nissan
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

schlava

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F250; 2021 Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hard part about this all is waiting for the aftermarket to catch up! I read the B/O system has a sub that is hidden in the storage area. I'd love to just buy one of those vehicle specific sub packages but it will probably be fore ever. I'll have to look at my bronco when I get home and see how much room is in that spot .

Dubsilk

Badlands
First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 M240 6MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Of course, if someone is going to replace the head unit and add amps, these speakers may not be up to the task, but I'll assume that person knows what they are doing, what they want and how much they have to spend. :)
how bad is the head unit? I was thinking of changing the speakers and adding an amp.

PapaWE

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89 Chevy K2500, 07 HD Nightrain
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't think anyone would want to be responsible for you smoking your factory system, but a 3ohm speaker should be ok. I ordered some Infinity 4" and they are 3ohm. The resistance is "nominal" so depending on the signal going through the speaker, it will vary anyway. What I can't tell is if the front speakers are wired in series or parallel. That would make a difference. If you changed to 2 (dash and kick panel), 3 ohm speakers per side, wired in parallel, might present to little resistance (1.5 ohm nominal) and the factory system could experience some trouble with shutting down, over heating or even the outputs being damaged. Maybe when the OP takes things apart, he can check the resistance at the kick panel speaker to make sure?

This is what I am wondering also with the kick panel plug and wiring. Do they simply pass through to the dash or are they parallel to the kicks. That will make a huge difference in choosing the correct ohms and also if you could/should use different ohms between dash and kick
Sponsored