Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

From a sub/low-end perspective, it's probably a wash - the Hertz + JL amp may hit a tad harder/go lower, but I don't know if it will be noticeable given the wind noise you're going to get in the Bronco at speed. The biggest difference is going to be the detail you're going to hear, primarily in your dash + door speakers. That JL amp + Hertz speaker combo is going to produce a much higher-quality soundstage, more accurate reproduction, increased detail, etc. Not saying the Kickers + Infinity amp will not be great (because they will be), but option 2 gets you more into that audiophile level of gear.

Does the shop have speakers set up to listen to? A/B comparison of the Hertz vs. the Kicker speakers would be a good benchmark to make your decision. You could also go on Crutchfield's site and virtually audition them too, which is a handy comparison tool.
Sponsored

OP
OP

OBXSquatch21

Outer Banks
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Camry
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
From a sub/low-end perspective, it's probably a wash - the Hertz + JL amp may hit a tad harder/go lower, but I don't know if it will be noticeable given the wind noise you're going to get in the Bronco at speed. The biggest difference is going to be the detail you're going to hear, primarily in your dash + door speakers. That JL amp + Hertz speaker combo is going to produce a much higher-quality soundstage, more accurate reproduction, increased detail, etc. Not saying the Kickers + Infinity amp will not be great (because they will be), but option 2 gets you more into that audiophile level of gear.

Does the shop have speakers set up to listen to? A/B comparison of the Hertz vs. the Kicker speakers would be a good benchmark to make your decision. You could also go on Crutchfield's site and virtually audition them too, which is a handy comparison tool.
This is why I'm leaning towards the higher end setup. For the sound quality itself, especially when the top is on. I have listened to both in person but not back to back as the higher end store does not carry kicker at all and the store that has kicker does not carry hertz or focal.

rtazz17

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford bronco big bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
So I have talked to a couple of shops about upgrading my 4 door stereo, I have the base stereo. I'm not sure what way to go and want to get the best bang for my buck.

So one shop will do kicker KS series in the dash, kick panels, and rear pods with the kicker low profile down firing 10 inch sub with an amp for that and an amp for the speakers. Would run me $1,700 installed.

The other shop I spoke with gave me 2 ways to go:
1. Focal 2 way components integration series for the front and Memphis audio 4 inch for the rear. 10inch JL sub with amp built in. No amp on the speakers. $1,700 installed.
2. Focal 2 way components access series and Memphis audio 4 inch for the rear powered with a JL audio amp and DSP. Same Sub as other option. $3,200 installed.

Just not sure what to do for the best bang for the buck. Would the Kicker option be enough or would it leave me wishing I had gone with one of the others? I know either way it will be a major upgrade over the factory base system.
wow that is way to pricy for me. I replaced everything myself. Much much cheaper but if you dont know what your doing it can be a huge headache and worth the installer. But 3200? damn

Erock

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have the Morel MPS 5.950. It’s a very nice middle priced amp but no DSP

OP
OP

OBXSquatch21

Outer Banks
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Camry
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
wow that is way to pricy for me. I replaced everything myself. Much much cheaper but if you dont know what your doing it can be a huge headache and worth the installer. But 3200? damn
Ya I can't really do it all myself and have it as clean as I'd like it to end up. It will be basically $3,000 all in including labor and tax with the higher end components. I didn't think it was too crazy as the products and wiring all needed was around $2,200, and it's trusted shop with a great reputation.

Sponsored

fitterhappier

Outer Banks
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I think I paid 500 (labor, not parts) for my shop to install my Kicker Key and an under-seat sub. It seemed a little high, but there's no way in hell I'd have been able to cleanly install as well as they did.

DJ1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think I paid 500 (labor, not parts) for my shop to install my Kicker Key and an under-seat sub. It seemed a little high, but there's no way in hell I'd have been able to cleanly install as well as they did.
$500 seems like highway robbery to put in those two pieces. I would have done it for you for free in a hour or two.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yeah I did some googling yesterday. It's been a long time since I've upgraded the steroid in my vehicle And I was in sticker shock with what crutchfield was showing for five channels.

Once I started looking around I realized that I can get a pretty inexpensive standard amp if I needed to run just one sub.

So if I decide to upgrade, I think I'm going to probably do the kicker 200 for the stock speakers and to fix the DSP... And then I'll wire up some inexpensive amp just to push an 8-in in the back (plan on putting the sub where the BO would have been)

OP
OP

OBXSquatch21

Outer Banks
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Camry
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Yeah I did some googling yesterday. It's been a long time since I've upgraded the steroid in my vehicle And I was in sticker shock with what crutchfield was showing for five channels.

Once I started looking around I realized that I can get a pretty inexpensive standard amp if I needed to run just one sub.

So if I decide to upgrade, I think I'm going to probably do the kicker 200 for the stock speakers and to fix the DSP... And then I'll wire up some inexpensive amp just to push an 8-in in the back (plan on putting the sub where the BO would have been)
Stuff has gone up alot even in the last year. But why not run an amp like this that has all 5 channels you need in one and would be cheaper and easy to hook up than 2 amps?

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_20646CX66T/Kicker-46CXA660-5T.html?tp=35808

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Stuff has gone up alot even in the last year. But why not run an amp like this that has all 5 channels you need in one and would be cheaper and easy to hook up than 2 amps?

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_20646CX66T/Kicker-46CXA660-5T.html?tp=35808
I mean it's a possibility, and I don't have my Bronco yet to actually look. But it seems like the cleanest install is to use the plug and play wire harness and mount the key 200 up above the glove box, or next to the steering column.

Now a five-channel amp can be small enough to fit in those areas then maybe that is the way to go.

Sponsored
OP
OP

OBXSquatch21

Outer Banks
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Camry
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Well I've decided to rule out the kicker system as I don't think it's worth the cost and I know it will be good but I will always be wondering what it would have been like to go with more.
I'm either going with a Hertz system, sub included, with a Rockford Fosgate amp or a Focal system with JL sub and JL amp. Will probably decide over the weekend.

Erock

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I really like my Morel amp… but struggled with choosing it over a JL VXi amp. In the end for me though, it came down to the cost difference. The DSP in the VXi amps should be really nice (assuming that’s the way you’re leaning). I have a pair of Hertz 6.5’s also, that sound really nice… but I preferred the Infinity’s I had in the F150. They were 6x9 component Kappa csx but they have a 6.5 in the same series. Definitely worth looking at while you’re still considering which speakers to go with.

OP
OP

OBXSquatch21

Outer Banks
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Camry
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So here is where I'm at and I really don't know which way to go and these are at two different shops. I've gone back and forth several times:
1. Focal flax components up front, memphis 4in in the pods, Jl VX700 amp with built in dsp, JL 12in TW3 sub, MTI amp mount, and MTI tailgate sub box. $5,450 installed and tuned with different modes for top on and off etc.
2. Hertz Mille Pro components up front, lower tier Hertz in the pods, Rockford Fosgate amp with no DSP, Hertz Centro 12in sub in downfiring box, amp mounted under seat. $3,200 installed no turning since no DSP.

MOBRONCO

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
So here is where I'm at and I really don't know which way to go and these are at two different shops. I've gone back and forth several times:
1. Focal flax components up front, memphis 4in in the pods, Jl VX700 amp with built in dsp, JL 12in TW3 sub, MTI amp mount, and MTI tailgate sub box. $5,450 installed and tuned with different modes for top on and off etc.
2. Hertz Mille Pro components up front, lower tier Hertz in the pods, Rockford Fosgate amp with no DSP, Hertz Centro 12in sub in downfiring box, amp mounted under seat. $3,200 installed no turning since no DSP.
The DSP will make the difference honestly, especially with top on/off tunes. If you want accurate audio reproduction and staging, make sure you have a DSP and someone who can properly tune it.

OP
OP

OBXSquatch21

Outer Banks
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Camry
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The DSP will make the difference honestly, especially with top on/off tunes. If you want accurate audio reproduction and staging, make sure you have a DSP and someone who can properly tune it.
That's what I'm thinking as well. I see you are in Missouri, what area? Did you upgrade the stereo in yours?
Sponsored