Username_not_found

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat 500 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Tires matter. Forget all the other noise.

I'll take my wife's crappy fiat pop with proper snow tires any day over my awd cherokee with it's 'snow' mode on all seasons everytime.
I put Nokian Nordmans on 15" wheels on my 500 Abarth and that thing will go through most any snow up to about 6" (sometimes 8") at which point shouldn't be driving anyway. The problem with the tiny little Fiat though is ice. I know no car on any tires (except maybe studded ones) is good on ice, but I will say, due to its narrow and short wheel-base, that fiat gets real sketchy on intermittently icy highways. Even a small patch is big enough to hit all the tires and make you slide. A wider, longer, heavier vehicle is more likely to keep at least a wheel or two where traction can be found on icey roads.

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

After driving Mustangs and Camaros in the 70’s. I’d vote for tires and ground clearance. But even on TA radials, getting around wasn’t that bad. Personally, I miss the rear wheel drives in snow. I’d much rather slide around a corner than push into it. You’ll be fine even with the stock tires. I’ve never had anything but M/S on the Escape it’s never let me down. Just realize there is a reason you see more 4x4’s in the ditch after a storm than sedans and it’s not the tires or clearance.

Last edited:

SamR

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Base
If you were happy with all season tires on your fwd cars you’ll be very happy with all season tires on your base base Bronco. That said the tires that come with it might not be the best. Seems manufacturers like to put on “sporty” all season tires these days. But I wouldn’t worry about keeping a spare set of winter tires on hand especially if you don’t have the room.

Why listen to an Arizonan about snow? Well I grew up in rural central Iowa and drove for many years all over with rwd, fwd, and 4wd cars/trucks. I know exactly what you’re going to be dealing with. Wife and I moved to AZ in 2017 for work. Just make sure you are in 4wd as soon as the fluffy stuff starts flying and you’ll be fine. You don’t need to add weight over the rear when you’re in 4wd but it’ll be scary (or fun depending on your idea of fun) if you try to drive around in just 2wd with snow and ice.

You don’t get snow until December?! Damn we’ve had snow since September lol
The problem with Iowa snow is once it comes it doesn’t leave until spring. I’ve heard CO likes to warm up randomly throughout the winter.

Hahaha not really. Depends on area I guess but Colorado is actually quite nice during the winter and hot as hell in summer.
don’t start with me and heat... ?

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you were happy with all season tires on your fwd cars you’ll be very happy with all season tires on your base base Bronco. That said the tires that come with it might not be the best. Seems manufacturers like to put on “sporty” all season tires these days. But I wouldn’t worry about keeping a spare set of winter tires on hand especially if you don’t have the room.

Why listen to an Arizonan about snow? Well I grew up in rural central Iowa and drove for many years all over with rwd, fwd, and 4wd cars/trucks. I know exactly what you’re going to be dealing with. Wife and I moved to AZ in 2017 for work. Just make sure you are in 4wd as soon as the fluffy stuff starts flying and you’ll be fine. You don’t need to add weight over the rear when you’re in 4wd but it’ll be scary (or fun depending on your idea of fun) if you try to drive around in just 2wd with snow and ice.

The problem with Iowa snow is once it comes it doesn’t leave until spring. I’ve heard CO likes to warm up randomly throughout the winter.

don’t start with me and heat... ?
Yep! Snow only lasts about a day here depending on how much we get. It snowed Monday night and it’s already gone outside a few drifts. Winter is mild and I still hate it lol.

I prefer the heat tbh haha. Perfect weather is 80-85 in the day, 55-60 over night. No wind, no snow, some rain here and there. I’m probably describing Hawaii ?

Sponsored

KH_59

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
I am absolutely convinced that folks are going to be amazed by how well the G.O.A.T modes work in conjunction with open diffs.

A year or so from now, we may be sitting back in amazement watching videos of a Base Bronco (perhaps with a mild aftermarket lift and some 33s) following a Sasquatch through some gnarly trail segment, doing just fine.

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

First and foremost when it comes to winter driving is the driver mod. If you don't know what your doing it doesn't matter what vehicle you're in.

I drove my mustangs year round and never once added snow tires or weight in the back. Got around just fine on the factory all seasons mostly because I knew what I was foing and knew what the limits of the vehicle were. Never got stuck once in the 8 years I had mustangs, but also knew if there was a certain amount of snow I wasn't going anywhere lol.
The weather channel was in West Des Moines yesterday off interstate 35 during said snow storm. A person in a newer Mustang got stuck going into a gas station. The weather guy said you can’t drive a car like that in the snow. Had to laugh, that’s all we had available when I was younger. Very few 4X4’s, Eldorados and Toronado’s were the only domestics with front wheel drive. We made due. Kind of like the service writer telling me you can’t drive cars in the winter without ABS working. Hmmm, must not of noticed the color of my hair!

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

OP
OP
Southside_Ray

Southside_Ray

Base
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So what I'm hearing from everyone's replies is I shouldn't get a bronco, I should just get snow tires for my fusion & call it good? ?
Sponsored