First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Welcome to the Bronco family! Glad to hear that you plan to actually wheel your Bronco; you’ll enjoy it.

I’m not a mechanic either, but do bring tools. Since you have pliers and screwdrivers (won’t be used for much), you’ve started. Going to detail what I do/use, so build your kit as you go.

Trail tools should not be fancy and should be things that you’re willing to drop and forget in deep mud, so no Tekton, Snap On, MAC, or even Craftsman. Think more Harbor Freight.

Bronco uses metric almost exclusively and there are several Torx and Torx + fasteners. You want an extensive metric kit. I’d get a mix of 1/4 and 3/8 socket sets and for both Torx and +. SAE will mostly be seen on mods such as racks or aftermarket bumpers, rock rails or steps, etc. a trim tool kit is also a nice to have, but your pocket knife or multi-tool can do the work as well. A cheap set of wrenches are nice as well to help in tight spaces.

For your tires, I’d get a tire repair kit from whomever you wish to purchase such as ARB; I have a Boulder Tools kit, along with Boulder Tools air down kit. For changing a tire, I suggest 1/2 socket anvil size and Bronco uses M12 or 19mm socket for lugs. I have a Hercules 1/2 Impact 20v compact , this is a Harbor Freight brand and is pretty good. I won’t bring my Milwaukee on a trail in case rig is broken into or it gets dropped or lost.

Keeping the above in a roll or organized box is smart. I also carry a NOCO jumper and of course, hope I don’t have to mention recovery gear and a first aid kit.

The above covers what I carry. Reading it, sounds like a lot, but it’s really not and everything combined, minus recovery gear and first aid, shouldn’t top $500 in a worst case scenerio. My recovery gear alone was maybe $400 and first aid trauma kit was about $150.
Helpful information, thank you!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Iamjulieb

Iamjulieb

Badlands
First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
MadMan4Bama wrote,
"

Yard and barn sales are worth exploring. The problem is self-control: not buying things you don't need, and sticking to a shopping list.

In addition to emergency and recovery gear, consider survival gear, especially if you run off- or rural-roads in winter. A mylar heat-retaining blanket(s) or wrap(s), energy bars, water. And toilet paper! Do think of how far away pavement, repair and personal services, and emergency responders are on each trip, and plan accordingly.
Good info, thank you!

Syringe

Badlands
First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 ZX-10R, '21 Z H2 SE, '13 911
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's not real common to shed the serpentine belt these days, but a spare belt doesn't take much space. Also, a way to repair a pinpoint hole in a hose. You probably want some foil, or maybe a way to cut an aluminum can to cover the hole, plus the aforementioned zip ties/gorilla or duct tape.

I've had to make both of those repairs road/trailside before. When my ordered Bronco finally arrives, I'll likely review this thread for ideas to have on my own traveling tool kit!

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was going to start a new post, but used the fancy “search” feature to find this thread.

For someone who’s not looking to do any major or moderate repairs, what would be the very basic items one would carry? I have an adjustable wrench for my shackles, but any other basic items recommended? I assume pliers would be another good addition.

I want this to also be helpful if I come across someone stranded too. Always good to be prepared!
Sponsored