Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hello!
Brand new Bronco owners, looking to put a specific tool roll together to carry with us.
We’re not mechanics, we’re just looking to carry the basics for tightening, etc
I’ve watched several YouTube videos but haven’t found one specific to Bronco.
We have, screw drivers, channel lock, pliers, we’re needing specific size wrenches, socket sizes needed for basic tasks we might encounter.

Thank you so much for any input! :)
Sponsored

RallyGorgo

Badlands
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Since I’ll be picking mine up in 2 weeks I can’t speak to specific tools. However, after years of dualsport motorcycling, rallying & autocrossing with SCCA, and having had a Jeep for a year, I’ve found that you can be a real hero by having a good collection of tools with you to help others out. Instead of only bringing 3 of 4 specific sizes, bring the full set of wrenches. A rechargeable 1/4” hex-drive impact with a set of sockets, bits, & drills is really handy! Safety wire, zip-ties, vice-grips, & duct tape are always good to have too. Then the liquids like water, coolant, oil, and brake clean are must-haves.

Good luck!!!

OP
OP
Iamjulieb

Iamjulieb

Badlands
First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Since I’ll be picking mine up in 2 weeks I can’t speak to specific tools. However, after years of dualsport motorcycling, rallying & autocrossing with SCCA, and having had a Jeep for a year, I’ve found that you can be a real hero by having a good collection of tools with you to help others out. Instead of only bringing 3 of 4 specific sizes, bring the full set of wrenches. A rechargeable 1/4” hex-drive impact with a set of sockets, bits, & drills is really handy! Safety wire, zip-ties, vice-grips, & duct tape are always good to have too. Then the liquids like water, coolant, oil, and brake clean are must-haves.

Good luck!!!
Thank you!

Dubsesd

Big Bend
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Ford F-150, 06 Roush Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Do you plan on off-roading? I would suggest just getting a basic ratchet set with sockets (can get cheap sets) also I would look into @Tricky Dick tie rod repair kit as well.

OP
OP
Iamjulieb

Iamjulieb

Badlands
First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Do you plan on off-roading? I would suggest just getting a basic ratchet set with sockets (can get cheap sets) also I would look into @Tricky Dick tie rod repair kit as well.
We bought the Bronco to get off-road to explore, picnic, fish, plan to do some off-grid camping in the future.

Sponsored

Ggerobb

Black Diamond
First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
94 jeep grand cherokee laredo, 2022 bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Ford Bronco Basic Bronco Specific Tool Kit 16919487691271904749679990690789
Ford Bronco Basic Bronco Specific Tool Kit 16919488154784358586077006105790

I picked this little guy up on amazon for about 125 it fits in the back great. Also a cordless impact and various tools depending on what you intend to do while out.

BostonSasquatch

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Lux Badlands with hardtop and Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OP
OP
Iamjulieb

Iamjulieb

Badlands
First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

jacknifetoaswan

Wildtrak
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Here are the things I carry on road trips and when I'm off road in the Bronco:
- E-torx set
- Torx+ set
- 3/8" ratchet with adapters to 1/4" and 1/2" drive
- Short and long 3/8" drive extensions
- 1/2" breaker bar
- Metric socket set
- DeWalt 20v Impact Wrench
- Tire plug kit
- Inflator
- Tire pressure gauge
- Soft shackles
- Recovery straps

JR

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hello!
Brand new Bronco owners, looking to put a specific tool roll together to carry with us.
We’re not mechanics, we’re just looking to carry the basics for tightening, etc
I’ve watched several YouTube videos but haven’t found one specific to Bronco.
We have, screw drivers, channel lock, pliers, we’re needing specific size wrenches, socket sizes needed for basic tasks we might encounter.

Thank you so much for any input! :)
Welcome to the Bronco family! Glad to hear that you plan to actually wheel your Bronco; you’ll enjoy it.

I’m not a mechanic either, but do bring tools. Since you have pliers and screwdrivers (won’t be used for much), you’ve started. Going to detail what I do/use, so build your kit as you go.

Trail tools should not be fancy and should be things that you’re willing to drop and forget in deep mud, so no Tekton, Snap On, MAC, or even Craftsman. Think more Harbor Freight.

Bronco uses metric almost exclusively and there are several Torx and Torx + fasteners. You want an extensive metric kit. I’d get a mix of 1/4 and 3/8 socket sets and for both Torx and +. SAE will mostly be seen on mods such as racks or aftermarket bumpers, rock rails or steps, etc. a trim tool kit is also a nice to have, but your pocket knife or multi-tool can do the work as well. A cheap set of wrenches are nice as well to help in tight spaces.

For your tires, I’d get a tire repair kit from whomever you wish to purchase such as ARB; I have a Boulder Tools kit, along with Boulder Tools air down kit. For changing a tire, I suggest 1/2 socket anvil size and Bronco uses M12 or 19mm socket for lugs. I have a Hercules 1/2 Impact 20v compact , this is a Harbor Freight brand and is pretty good. I won’t bring my Milwaukee on a trail in case rig is broken into or it gets dropped or lost.

Keeping the above in a roll or organized box is smart. I also carry a NOCO jumper and of course, hope I don’t have to mention recovery gear and a first aid kit.

The above covers what I carry. Reading it, sounds like a lot, but it’s really not and everything combined, minus recovery gear and first aid, shouldn’t top $500 in a worst case scenerio. My recovery gear alone was maybe $400 and first aid trauma kit was about $150.

Sponsored

BostonSasquatch

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

MadMan4Bama wrote,
"
Welcome to the Bronco family!

...so build your kit as you go.

Trail tools should not be fancy and should be things that you’re willing to drop and forget in deep mud, so no Tekton, Snap On, MAC, or even Craftsman. Think more Harbor Freight.
Yard and barn sales are worth exploring. The problem is self-control: not buying things you don't need, and sticking to a shopping list.

In addition to emergency and recovery gear, consider survival gear, especially if you run off- or rural-roads in winter. A mylar heat-retaining blanket(s) or wrap(s), energy bars, water. And toilet paper! Do think of how far away pavement, repair and personal services, and emergency responders are on each trip, and plan accordingly.

Mdozier

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 F250, 23 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There’s really no limit. A “compact” full set with sockets, torx, hex with other items as described is certainly great to have. But at the least (minimalist) a pair of large and small adjustable wrenches, small multi driver set with flat, philips, and torx, and a regular and needle nose vice grips will go a long way with some duct tape, zip ties and bailing wire.

Also keep a tire plug kit and tow/recovery strap and LEARN how to use them.

It’s nice to have more for any emergency but the above can be a minimum bacon savor.

Last edited:

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

MadMan4Bama wrote,
"

Yard and barn sales are worth exploring. The problem is self-control: not buying things you don't need, and sticking to a shopping list.

In addition to emergency and recovery gear, consider survival gear, especially if you run off- or rural-roads in winter. A mylar heat-retaining blanket(s) or wrap(s), energy bars, water. And toilet paper! Do think of how far away pavement, repair and personal services, and emergency responders are on each trip, and plan accordingly.
For sure! These days, buying tools and gear is my equivalent of shopping at Toys R Us from when I was a kid. 🤣

I left off some other big things like a Satellite comms, GMRS, etc. Whenever I mention that sfuff to new guys and the cost, the initial reaction is fear and questioning the pursuit. A fridge and a battery are other things that you'll soon want if you plan to do any camping.

As long as they go with a prepared group, for a while, we have them covered, but that grace don't last forever.

Spacing out these purchases helps and the off-season and annual sales at places like REI and Backcountry.com help a ton.

BostonSasquatch

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I left off some other big things like a Satellite comms, GMRS, etc. Whenever I mention that sfuff to new guys and the cost, the initial reaction is fear and questioning the pursuit. A fridge and a battery are other things that you'll soon want if you plan to do any camping.

As long as they go with a prepared group, for a while, we have them covered, but that grace don't last forever.

Spacing out these purchases helps and the off-season and annual sales at places like REI and Backcountry.com help a lot.
Full agreement. Two caveats:
1) 2nd hand reduces the cost outlay, but "cheap is expensive." I got bargain recovery boards from RhinoUSA, which failed horribly in mud. (An Explorer pulled me out!) But used can reduce the initial outlay, until a wheeler has had more experience and knows what he needs.
2) One must also consider one's technical skill level. A great tool set is useless unless one knows how to repair a truck! Personal example: On my to-get list are spare tie rods, but I want to watch somebody replace one first.

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Full agreement. Two caveats:
1) 2nd hand reduces the cost outlay, but "cheap is expensive." I got bargain recovery boards from RhinoUSA, which failed horribly in mud. (An Explorer pulled me out!) But used can reduce the initial outlay, until a wheeler has had more experience and knows what he needs.
2) One must also consider one's technical skill level. A great tool set is useless unless one knows how to repair a truck! Personal example: On my to-get list are spare tie rods, but I want to watch somebody replace one first.
For sure, used "good" gear is great. Traction boards are a cost that a lot of guys have issue with. I have MaxTrax and cursed at the cost, but they work and they will continue to for many years.

Thing with tools, even if you don't know, someone will come along who does, and that guy is more likely to help you if you have your own stuff, that way, he doesn't risk losing his stuff.

That's also why I say get some cheap tools that you won't care about. My good stuff stays in the garage for my tinkering and installing mods.
Sponsored