RedHotFuzz

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 4D
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hey all, I just replaced my rear pod speakers with Polks and had wired in bass blockers from PAC (even though Ford’s software isn’t currently allowing full range to the rear anyway). They sounded like an AM radio and then I realized the PACs are cut off at 1200 hz for 4 ohm speakers (they are advertised as being specific to 4” speakers). So into the trash those bass blockers went. Rear sounds better now (though still not great). Now I’m wondering if I should even use bass blockers in the front. I know most people are blocking at 300 hz, and I will definitely be returning the 1200 hz blockers I have. So no dash install today. Unless…I don’t really need them in the front at all. I’m keeping the factory 6.5 (for now), which I assume have a built-in crossover. Which, if true, would make the bass blockers up front unnecessary, no? If not possibly detrimental?
Sponsored

Wannabe Techie

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

You add an amp yet? Only reason I ask is w/o that, no matter what speakers, it will sound like trash because head unit is really weak.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The reason why Ford has bass blockers on the dash speakers from the factory is because the dash speakers are fed off of the same line that feeds the kick panel speakers.

The rear pod speakers, as you mentioned, have some sort of digital signal processing applied from the factory to block a lot of the low-frequency signal.

My hunch is you don’t need the bass blockers, but this may be a situation where you try it both ways to see what the results are. Give it a shot and report back I guess?

mikec426

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 4dr Sqtch, 20 Triumph Tiger Rally, '04 Yam FZ1
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I didn’t bother with bass blockers. Haven’t put in an amp yet though…

Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

The reason why Ford has bass blockers on the dash speakers from the factory is because the dash speakers are fed off of the same line that feeds the kick panel speakers.

The rear pod speakers, as you mentioned, have some sort of digital signal processing applied from the factory to block a lot of the low-frequency signal.

My hunch is you don’t need the bass blockers, but this may be a situation where you try it both ways to see what the results are. Give it a shot and report back I guess?
Yeah, like the OP says, I am guessing the factory kick panel speakers have a crossover before sending the signal on to the dash.

Agree, an experiment is in order.

OP
OP
RedHotFuzz

RedHotFuzz

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ford has bass blockers on the dash speakers themselves? Or is the low-frequency filtering happening via a crossover on the kick panel speakers?

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford has bass blockers on the dash speakers themselves? Or is the low-frequency filtering happening via a crossover on the kick panel speakers?
It is on the dash speakers themselves. The stock speaker has a simple RC circuit that I believe acts as a high-pass filter (although admittedly I never measured the capacitor value)—you can see the capacitor attached to the speaker once you pull them out.

There be some filtering on the kick panel as well—not sure.

TavisB

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 ManSquatch, 10 F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I just replaced my factory dash and pod speakers with Kickers. Going without the blockers for now, will add them later if I see a need.

OP
OP
RedHotFuzz

RedHotFuzz

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I just replaced my factory dash and pod speakers with Kickers. Going without the blockers for now, will add them later if I see a need.
Those dash speaker panels are a PITA to remove (I’ve yet to get one off) so I’m hoping to avoid a repeat.

Sponsored

TavisB

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 ManSquatch, 10 F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Those dash speaker panels are a PITA to remove (I’ve yet to get one off) so I’m hoping to avoid a repeat.
The first one took me forever but once I got it the second one came right out. Start on whichever side has the most room then work to the back. Then the other side comes right out.

OP
OP
RedHotFuzz

RedHotFuzz

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The first one took me forever but once I got it the second one came right out. Start on whichever side has the most room then work to the back. Then the other side comes right out.
Yeah, the gaps are super tight. I can’t get any of my trim removal tools in there. Tried the credit card approach with no success before turning my attention to the rear pods instead.

F OR D

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD Green Machine
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

i didn't use blockers and have no issues, especially in the 4" and used a key.

Copperhorse73

Wildtrak
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4 door Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

With the key 200.4 you definitely need blockers in front. I installed ones for 6.5” speakers so as not to block beyond 300 hz

BWepps

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Yeah. I snapped the bottom portion off the driver side dash speaker panel and had to order a replacement. :/
Sponsored