Sponsored

BDS KOH coilover suspension lift - reviews / feedback?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WickedG6

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 4Runner, 1967 Mustang 2+2
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hey everyone, looking to see if anyone has installed a BDS KOH Coilover lift and how you like the install and ride quality.
Ford Bronco BDS KOH coilover suspension lift - reviews / feedback? IMG_4158
Sponsored

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I would rather buy tuned suspension from someone who will take care of me. BDS is more like a parts seller not a custom tuning shop. For that kind of money you want someone that offers free tuning and adjustments.

OP
OP
WickedG6

WickedG6

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 4Runner, 1967 Mustang 2+2
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would rather buy tuned suspension from someone who will take care of me. BDS is more like a parts seller not a custom tuning shop. For that kind of money you want someone that offers free tuning and adjustments.
Open to suggestions of recommended brands.

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Post what you are looking at doing with your Bronco, weight like winch/bumpers and tire size you want to run. Several people on here with custom tuned shocks should be able to help sort out the differences for your needs.

If you just want adjustable coilovers 4wp are a killer deal right now. I am cheap so this is as far as I will most likely go myself.
https://www.boss4x4.com/product-p/4wp8-52233bx-1.htm
https://www.boss4x4.com/product-p/4wp8-52233bx-2.htm

Side note if your going to run hard, full steering upgrades first. Like blowing the money on a full billet 74Weld Stage 3 Rack. Lift off seems to kill tie rods lol.

routhless

Badlands
First Name
Kayla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-150 Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Post what you are looking at doing with your Bronco, weight like winch/bumpers and tire size you want to run. Several people on here with custom tuned shocks should be able to help sort out the differences for your needs.

If you just want adjustable coilovers 4wp are a killer deal right now. I am cheap so this is as far as I will most likely go myself.

Side note if your going to run hard, full steering upgrades first. Like blowing the money on a full billet 74Weld Stage 3 Rack. Lift off seems to kill tie rods lol.

Do you have any other recommendations if the 74Weld is out of budget? I plan on running 37s, and have a 4" lift that's not been installed yet. I'm waiting until I can decide what I'm doing for my tie rods and steering components - I plan on wheeling a good bit, most of which is pretty moderate but do want to and plan on hitting some harder trails and obstacles when I have the chance

Sponsored

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

@routhless

If you go fully tuned coilovers your suspension will allow you to get way outside safe speeds for the factory steering. At a minimum you would want HOSS 3.0 steering rack with HOSS 3.0 tie rods like a stock Raptor or Wildtrak. Just think about it as for every dollar you spend on shocks you will need to put a dollar into something else to keep up.

I know I can push the limits of HOSS 3.0 steering (with a bushing and housing upgrades) with my 4wp coilovers pretty easy around the local dirt track. Lets say 1 lap around the track took me from something loose in the steering to a clunking failed tie rod. I also have been monitoring my wear in on the aftermarket bushing and it has signs now after 2 tie rods going bad.

kpark_67

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Do you have any other recommendations if the 74Weld is out of budget? I plan on running 37s, and have a 4" lift that's not been installed yet. I'm waiting until I can decide what I'm doing for my tie rods and steering components - I plan on wheeling a good bit, most of which is pretty moderate but do want to and plan on hitting some harder trails and obstacles when I have the chance
74Weld and BroncBuster both have parts to replace one side of the steering rack and put a bushing on the other. That is FAR cheaper than replacing the whole rack. I think the 74Weld option is both better and cheaper, but that is my opinion. Other than that I would either replace the Tie Rods or brace them. BroncBuster has the braces. There are a LOT of options for replacement Tie Rods.

routhless

Badlands
First Name
Kayla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-150 Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

74Weld and BroncBuster both have parts to replace one side of the steering rack and put a bushing on the other. That is FAR cheaper than replacing the whole rack. I think the 74Weld option is both better and cheaper, but that is my opinion. Other than that I would either replace the Tie Rods or brace them. BroncBuster has the braces. There are a LOT of options for replacement Tie Rods.
Yeah I've seen quite a few braces or replacements, I just want to make sure I do all my research before buying something, because I don't want to brace or replace them and then put my steering rack at risk. Tie rods are much easier and cheaper to replace 😂 Just want to make sure I'm doing it correctly and not screwing myself in the long-run

kpark_67

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah I've seen quite a few braces or replacements, I just want to make sure I do all my research before buying something, because I don't want to brace or replace them and then put my steering rack at risk. Tie rods are much easier and cheaper to replace 😂 Just want to make sure I'm doing it correctly and not screwing myself in the long-run
The bushing and housing end for the Stage 1 for HOSS 2.0 from 74Weld is $1000. Both sides get oil impregnated bushing. Then you need Tie Rods or Braces. I think Tie Rods are better than braces. The Ford Performance Tie Rods are $320. So for $1320, install on your own and get an alignment and you are set. If you are just ok with working on cars this is a 1 day project.

BroncBuster has a similar bushing and housing end but is more expensive. The housing end by itself is $1189, the bushing is $349. The bushing is plastic and the housing bushing is just smooth aluminum. The Braces are $399. They have a package of all three for $1729.

I think BroncBuster's bushing is inferior to 74Weld's. I think the housing ends on each are similar but 74Weld's have an oil impregnated bronze and BroncBuster's doesn't. I think the brace is more expensive and not as good as better tie rods.

So, based on all that, I would recommend recommend the 74Weld Stage 1, upgraded Tie Rods and an alignment. It is cheaper and better than BroncBuster's.

Your steering will be as strong as you can make it without shelling the $4k to $5k and downtime for the whole steering rack replacement.

This should be the first thing people do to their Bronco if they plan to off road (rocks ore desert runs) because this the Bronco's weakest link and will eventually leave you stranded. Getting your rig out and fixing after breaking down will cost you more than preventing it. Everything else (shocks, bumpers, lights, etc.) come after.

That is my 2 cents.

routhless

Badlands
First Name
Kayla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-150 Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The bushing and housing end for the Stage 1 for HOSS 2.0 from 74Weld is $1000. Both sides get oil impregnated bushing. Then you need Tie Rods or Braces. I think Tie Rods are better than braces. The Ford Performance Tie Rods are $320. So for $1320, install on your own and get an alignment and you are set. If you are just ok with working on cars this is a 1 day project.

BroncBuster has a similar bushing and housing end but is more expensive. The housing end by itself is $1189, the bushing is $349. The bushing is plastic and the housing bushing is just smooth aluminum. The Braces are $399. They have a package of all three for $1729.

I think BroncBuster's bushing is inferior to 74Weld's. I think the housing ends on each are similar but 74Weld's have an oil impregnated bronze and BroncBuster's doesn't. I think the brace is more expensive and not as good as better tie rods.

So, based on all that, I would recommend recommend the 74Weld Stage 1, upgraded Tie Rods and an alignment. It is cheaper and better than BroncBuster's.

Your steering will be as strong as you can make it without shelling the $4k to $5k and downtime for the whole steering rack replacement.

This should be the first thing people do to their Bronco if they plan to off road (rocks ore desert runs) because this the Bronco's weakest link and will eventually leave you stranded. Getting your rig out and fixing after breaking down will cost you more than preventing it. Everything else (shocks, bumpers, lights, etc.) come after.

That is my 2 cents.
I appreciate the input!

Sponsored

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco/1996 Jeep XJ/1957 FC-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Look at options from 4wP coilovers like Snacktime suggested. Otherwise if you want the super high end, look at Carli tuned Kings, Accutune stuff from King or Fox or grab a set of ADS for the best bolt on suspension currently available. Keep in mind, the bolt on, high end suspension won’t get you any more travel then a solid, 4WP kit. Just a better endurance factor for high speed, smacking through whoops with tuning and such. The 4WP coilovers are more then enough for most of us.
As far as steering goes, 74weld and BB are the main contenders. I believe most people don’t need to upgrade to a 3.0 rack. Mine was running fine after 38,000 miles of whoops, the rubicon, high speed jumps and dozens of times around the same track that Snacktime mentioned with speeds as high as 75 mph on 37’s and a lift. My stock tie rods with Broncbuster braces never had an issue.

I did crack my Broncbuster bushing but that was because I understeered into a dirt berm at 40 mph with my steering turned hard passenger. The berm slammed my steering past full lock and allowed it to go past the steering stop which caused the tie rod nut to smack into my driver bushing with the weight of my vehicle behind it. The bushing cracked but I didn’t know until 10k miles later when I tore it apart for science and saw the damage. The rack still worked like normal and the bushing had zero wear on the ID of the bushing where the steering screw moved on. The Broncbuster housing has zero wear and looks brand new still.

74weld is also a cheaper and quality option though I can’t speak for longevity yet. I threw a set on a friends Bronco for that very testing so I can report back in a year or so lol.

3.0 with the Broncbuster or 74weld “bandaids” as people call em is also an option as well as the ultimate full housing from 74weld. Unless you’re super hardcore that’s pretty overkill though imo.
Again, my 2.0 rack did just fine with the bandaids. But I also don’t seesaw my steering wheel or force it when I feel a bind.
Soooo, I recommend 4wP coilovers and then a bandaid from one of the two companies. Rack before tie rods, and stick with OEM tie rods. I’ve seen more fail stories on aftermarket tie rods then OEM honestly. People call the braces a bandaid but they work, havnt failed anyone yet and can be placed on another bronco to work as a “splint” if they broke their tie rods. It also allows you to keep the factory tie rod ends which have proved to be more then enough. The 3.0 Ford performance tie rod is the best and doesn’t even need a brace IMO.

Last edited:

AccuTune Offroad

Base
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sasquatch 4 Door, Jeep JLUR, Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Base
From what I can tell, the BDS KOH Kit comes with standard Fox 2.5 PES Shocks. If you are looking for the best ride quality/performance we do have some options that may fit your needs. Whether the Bronco is stock or upgraded with weight, we've got some custom tuned options to take a look at. The tuning we offer is free, no additional cost.

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Holy shit that’s a good deal. I might have to jump on that. I was gonna put SVC collar spacers on Badlands Bilsteins - but; this is a steal.

Copper380

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Explorer, 2011 F350 D
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I saved up and bought the 74Weld rack and it is worth every penny. Why spend 2k now to possibly crack a housing then have to buy it all later and cost even more. Replacement was simple and I am super happy with it.

I am using a rough country 2.5" lift, RC UCA's and Broncbuster perch collars with 38" MT02's. The rack is great with it and feels solid, just easy to drive. I was not comfortable on some trails with the 2.5" pucks and 1.5" perch collers so i took the perch collers out of the front which helped the ride a lot but still did not like the feel. I also have issues before full droop with the RC UCA's Hitting the spring. Because of.this I will not go cheap again.

Just received my Fox elite 2.5 coilovers with Baja Kits billet UCA's and lower trail arms, putting them in this week and believe I should be good and will then resume my off road adventures.

Bottom line, 74Weld is pricy but worth the piece of mind. Until you touch one, no picture will do it justice, it is a very sold quality part that is beefy as it is beautiful!

Just my 2 cents

20230914_173904.jpg

nickmct13

Outer Banks
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco ‘23 OBX Sas
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have the BDS kit. The fox shocks are buttery smooth. I run them fully open all the time. Cruises like a Cadillac on the road. Off-road there’s lots articulation but also lots of body roll but can be offset by activating the 1 pedal drive mode or using two pedals (braking to control body roll and helps with traction). Critiques - The set up does lift the front a more than the rear and the rear shocks springs are a little soft. Just something to consider - if you have a winch in front should help with both (adding full armor plating underneath seems to help with this as well). Consider replacing the rear springs is you plan to carry a lot. Also, the adjusters can get jammed up with sand so dust them off with compressed air after off-roading if you plan on adjusting a lot. Agree with upgrading the steering components if you plan on really sending it.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.