Sponsored

Radflo Coilover Shocks review / feedback?

OP
OP
Jms1

Jms1

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I had bilstein, not sure how much higher it is.
These are still the stock tires.
20230607_161154.jpg
Oh wow you did get some lift and those are 35" tires.
Sponsored

corey07

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

On the front I'm sitting at 2.5" lift over SAS, I had to back the preload all the way off to get it down to there! Yeah, I think 650lbs is too much to let the suspension flex, the stock SAS front rate is 374lbs. 550 should drop the front a little bit and soften up the ride, right now it feels like I could full send a jump or run the Baja, 650 is probably perfect for that type of stuff.
I would have to agree with you for sure. My hasty measurement after install in my garage was almost 2 over badlands stock. Like, you I have NO preload in front as well with that measurement. I definitely am a novice in suspension tuning and will defer to all the much more technical gurus around here about where to measure for flex, travel and all the nitty gritty, but I would think that a 550 spring should help bring down that front height. 650s a bit stiff in front but man they EAT those whoops ha!

Your build looks fantastic. I haven't had any trouble with the rear resi clearance...yet😬

Thanks for sharing, really helpful in getting input on how to dial my own in better.
Ford Bronco Radflo Coilover Shocks review / feedback? 20230605_170828

AccuTune Offroad

Base
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sasquatch 4 Door, Jeep JLUR, Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Base
Radflo is coming with a 16" x 650lb front spring, but you are swapping to a 18" 550lb? What made you pick those spring rates?

Springs are mostly there to support the weight of the vehicle, majority of the ride quality and control comes from the internal valving. So a heavier/stiffer spring wont necessarily be a better choice for smashing whoops in baja.

OP
OP
Jms1

Jms1

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thank you everyone for all the information here. Based on the information I am seeing I am thinking the following. The 650lbs springs are heavy and ride would be improved by using a 550lbs spring. Also seeing the amount of lift that has been gained by the extended travel I should stick with the standard length. This is my current height, 1/4" spacer in the rear and 1.125" spacer in the front. I want to keep the same height but replace the spacers and Bilstein's with a better shock. I want to keep the 33" tires so that is why I don't want to much lift.

Ford Bronco Radflo Coilover Shocks review / feedback? A4.JPG

Ford Bronco Radflo Coilover Shocks review / feedback? A6.JPG

This was my cv angles with a 1.375" spacer before I reduced it to 1.125"

Ford Bronco Radflo Coilover Shocks review / feedback? S5.JPG

OP
OP
Jms1

Jms1

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Radflo is coming with a 16" x 650lb front spring, but you are swapping to a 18" 550lb? What made you pick those spring rates?

Springs are mostly there to support the weight of the vehicle, majority of the ride quality and control comes from the internal valving. So a heavier/stiffer spring wont necessarily be a better choice for smashing whoops in baja.
I think he is doing a 18" 350lbs spring

Sponsored

akturbo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco, 3500HD Chevy, Rav4Prime, Turbo Skidoo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The pic of the shock in the box, you can see the 18" 650 PN, that's what it came with. You guys don't sell Radflo... So yeah, I would have loved a tuned package from you guys but I didn't want Fox or Kings, it was Icon or Radflo for me.

The 18" 650 is apparntly from an older batch which I just bought in March, after talking with Radflo (they've been great!!) I know they now come with 16", Radflo said I could try 18" 600. If stock is 374, Fox is 365 and King is 550, than to me 650/600 is over sprung and it feels like it. I'm a technical trail/rock crawler so I don't want stiff springs that don't allow the suspension to flex, hence my Baja comment. I ran a boat load of numbers, calculated OEM weights, front/rear distribution, every added accessory lbs, people, gear, fuel, water, basically maxed out the GVWR. I also calculated the SAS and Radflo experienced numbers based on compressed spring length, shaft length, angles, pivots, ran the numbers for desired exposed shaft length at rest, desired spring length at rest, backed into the calculated numbers vs actuals, plus some other numbers. Technically my desired target numbers called for a lower spring than 550, so, I split the difference between what I felt like a validated number from King and what my gut told me. I know 18"s fit so there was no reason to go down to 16" 550 and have to crank up the preload to get my height back. I still think I should have gone 450 but I knew that's too far from the valving.

To anyone reading this don't think anything is wrong with Radflo, I just know it can be better, I'm going to mess with it until its the way I like it. I got the springs from https://www.polyperformance.com/ which has a program they'll help on the spring rate swap if you're not satisfied.

Anyways, looking forward to hear what others have to say that have the Radflos on their Bronco!

image01.jpeg

image0.jpeg

Atoledo95

Outer Banks
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Outerbanks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I’m running the radflo 2.5 coilovers non-adjustable on my non-sas Outerbanks. So far ride is great and way smoother. Haven’t taken them offroad yet, waiting to go sometime this month to accutune to get them tuned up. But I’m loving them, was going with king but didn’t want to wait. But I don’t regret it at all.

Bird Dog Off Road

Badlands
First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands w/Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So you have a Badlands as well and I believe you said you got about 3" of lift in the front. I just did not think I would get that much lift from the extended travel being that they were only 0.586" longer. So happy I sent you that message and asked. Thank You
My Badlands was a Sasquatch and it sits 3” over Sasquatch. A non-Sasquatch Badlands doesn’t sit as high as the Sasquatch models (regardless of trim). Just want to make sure I’m not confusing you. The non-Sasquatch badlands only sits like 0.5”-1” over other non-Sasquatch trims.

OP
OP
Jms1

Jms1

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m running the radflo 2.5 coilovers non-adjustable on my non-sas Outerbanks. So far ride is great and way smoother. Haven’t taken them offroad yet, waiting to go sometime this month to accutune to get them tuned up. But I’m loving them, was going with king but didn’t want to wait. But I don’t regret it at all.
Will AccuTune tune Radflo shocks? I have purchased several sets of tuned shocks from them, they are top notch. Are you running 35" tires on your Outerbanks? Anyway you could post a picture of the results?

Atoledo95

Outer Banks
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Outerbanks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Will AccuTune tune Radflo shocks? I have purchased several sets of tuned shocks from them, they are top notch. Are you running 35" tires on your Outerbanks? Anyway you could post a picture of the results?
Unfortunately they don’t tune them 🤦‍♂️
I’m trying another shop to see, like DC. Yes I’m running 35s as of now. Saving up for some Dana axles to run 37s.

Sponsored

V1Rotate

Wildtrak
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I love my extended travel Radflo’s on my ‘22 Wildtrak. 650lb front spring is PERFECT with my modular bumper + winch/mount. Feels incredible on road (not harsh or too heavy in any way, no roll/sway/dive) and they’re great off-road. I’d do it over again this same way given the chance.. I’m running them set to around 2” lift over SAS so not much if any additional preload

Got them straight from RF and their communication/customer service was amazing

AccuTune Offroad

Base
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sasquatch 4 Door, Jeep JLUR, Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Base
(y) @akturbo Spring swaps on these coilover's are a bit of a pain with the bar pins. Hope the new springs work out for you, I'm surprised a 18" spring can fit on those coilovers.

@Jms1 unfortunately no, we only service and tune Fox and King shocks.

Keep in mind with custom tuning, be sure the company you are going to has plenty of experience tuning the shocks you have, on the type of vehicle you have. We use a combination of dyno tuning and real world driving to determine our tunes for various models.

FWIW, we also have a spring swap program with a ton of Eibach springs in stock. We will calculate spring rates for you.

OP
OP
Jms1

Jms1

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Based on all the information provided here this is what I am thinking. I need about 1.5'-2" of lift to bring the front back to where it is now with the spacer removed.

Option #1 is to use the standard travel Radflo with and extended length of 23.312" the same as the SAS and Badlands factory Bilstein. So to gain any lift from this length it must come from increased spring rate. If stock rate is 374lbs and the standard Radflo comes with a 650lbs then it would stand to reason that this setup would definitely provide lift. However ride quality would be greatly impacted.

Option #2 is to use the extended travel Radflo which is .586" longer than the SAS and Badlands extended length. So the additional .586" length by itself will provide lift but not the same amount that the 1.125" spacer I currently have does. I now believe that you guys are getting such a high quantity of lift from the extended travel due to the 650lbs spring rate. Being that the stock spring rate is 374lbs I should not need or want a 650lbs spring and the additional lift it provides by not allowing the suspension to settle. So what I think I should do is buy the extended travel but ask Radflo to use a 450lbs or 500lbs spring. Therefore I could gain a bit of lift from the added .586" length over my current shock and then a bit more from an increase spring rate.
Is there any reason this would not work? Thank you all for the information provided here.

akturbo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco, 3500HD Chevy, Rav4Prime, Turbo Skidoo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Based on all the information provided here this is what I am thinking. I need about 1.5'-2" of lift to bring the front back to where it is now with the spacer removed.

Option #1 is to use the standard travel Radflo with and extended length of 23.312" the same as the SAS and Badlands factory Bilstein. So to gain any lift from this length it must come from increased spring rate. If stock rate is 374lbs and the standard Radflo comes with a 650lbs then it would stand to reason that this setup would definitely provide lift. However ride quality would be greatly impacted.

Option #2 is to use the extended travel Radflo which is .586" longer than the SAS and Badlands extended length. So the additional .586" length by itself will provide lift but not the same amount that the 1.125" spacer I currently have does. I now believe that you guys are getting such a high quantity of lift from the extended travel due to the 650lbs spring rate. Being that the stock spring rate is 374lbs I should not need or want a 650lbs spring and the additional lift it provides by not allowing the suspension to settle. So what I think I should do is buy the extended travel but ask Radflo to use a 450lbs or 500lbs spring. Therefore I could gain a bit of lift from the added .586" length over my current shock and then a bit more from an increase spring rate.
Is there any reason this would not work? Thank you all for the information provided here.
Don't forget the preload is adjustable so you can set the ride height, there is lots of range if you have 16" springs.

I'm currently stuck until I figure out how to compress this monster spring (I wouldn't have to if I had 16" springs!!), the cheap rental/widowmaker from the auto store didn't even compress an inch before I backed off. Going to try this next, only tool can find in stock around town. https://www.autozone.com/test-scan-...coil-compressor/537058_0_0?searchText=641429T
Ford Bronco Radflo Coilover Shocks review / feedback? 1686245389140

Bird Dog Off Road

Badlands
First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands w/Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't think spring rate will increase height by itself unless you have extra weight. I have a steel bumper and winch and that 650 spring weight prevents it from sagging lower, but if I took that extra weight off it wouldn't get any higher than the stock rated springs. The springs sit at an angle when mounted, so a .5" longer spring doesn't necessarily mean your height increase is going to be linear to that. Same thing with the preload. I'd suggest talking to a reputable shop or RadFlo directly prior to spending money to make sure you get exactly what you want. They will need to know how much extra weight you have (or will have) to determine the appropriate rate.

I only swapped out my rear lower coils to a higher rate because of the extra weight I have in the rear of my Bronco and not for general ride height purposes.
Sponsored