First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Just finished up with my Bestop Trektop install. Wow. That's a lot of work. All told, including finishing up my hoist and getting the hard top off, I'd say I put in a solid eight hours today. If I'd had a helper, I probably could have cut a ton of time off, but I have COVID, so I was all by my onesies.

I ended up with a few issues, and I'll have to wait until Monday to talk to them.

1 - There's a brass insert in the rear lower bracket. It likely wasn't correctly pressed in at the factory, so it gets to a certain point of tightness, then just spins. Thus, there's a slight gap between the lower window bracket and the rear lower bracket. I'm probably totally botching the names for these brackets, but whatever. I'm tired.
2 - The passenger side window tie down strap is too short. Even without the front and bottom welting pulled out of the j-channel, there's no way to get that button on. The driver's side is fine, and it's not something where I need the fabric to relax or stretch.
3 - The rear window is too tight. Perhaps there's a manufacturing flaw, and the passenger side window is too small, but there's no way I can get that rear window welting into the j-channel. Maybe some sun will help it relax, but damn.

Anyone else experience these issues?

Ford Bronco Bestop Trektop Install Issues PXL_20221022_214421384

JR
Sponsored

Last edited:

ATLBronco75

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don’t have the bracket issue, but most of it was freakishly tight until I got it in some hot sun and it stretched out.

OP
OP
jacknifetoaswan

jacknifetoaswan

Wildtrak
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I don’t have the bracket issue, but most of it was freakishly tight until I got it in some hot sun and it stretched out.
Good to know. I'm absolutely wrecked at present, so I'll wait until tomorrow and let it sit in the sun and stretch, then try again.

I'm pretty annoyed about that bracket, though. I don't understand why they'd press a brass insert in, rather than welding a collor in, then tapping it.

JR

OP
OP
jacknifetoaswan

jacknifetoaswan

Wildtrak
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Well, I got my wife into the game and she pushed on the rear window corner while I hooked the j-channel in, so that issue is resolved. This also gave me enough length to get the snap on the nylon strap buttoned up to the bracket.

Unfortunately, the only thing I can think to do to resolve the bracket issue, if Bestop won't help me (I've heard their customer service isn't the best) is to drill out that insert and either install a new one with a press, or use a bolt with a nut.

JR
Sponsored