Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Recently returned from a trip to Big Bend. Spent a couple nights in the lodge and 1 night camping in one of the remote sites near the Rio Grande. We also read that the Black Gap Road was a Jeep Badge of Honor Trail and from it's description, I felt that we could do it. It was our first non-guided trip by ourselves, and my wife's first time spotting. She did a great job.

View from Window Trail by Lodge:
Ford Bronco Big Bend National Park camping pics and Black Gap Road video IMG_1713.JPG

View of our La Clocha campsite #2 (one of the few campsites with shade from trees- that was important to us):
Ford Bronco Big Bend National Park camping pics and Black Gap Road video IMG_1678.JPG

30 second time-lapse video of sunset to night with planet setting behind mountains:
BBNP Time-lapse

Campsite at night:
Ford Bronco Big Bend National Park camping pics and Black Gap Road video IMG_6013.JPG

Black Gap Road video:

Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Awesome!
I love BB, definitely want to return there one day for a longer stay and more adventures.
Just watched the video as well. I see others have filled up the ledge some with some rocks.
Pretty much the only obstacle out there!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ironiguana

Ironiguana

Black Diamond
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Awesome!
I love BB, definitely want to return there one day for a longer stay and more adventures.
Just watched the video as well. I see others have filled up the ledge some with some rocks.
Pretty much the only obstacle out there!
Yes the ledge was overhyped. The last part of the trail, when heading North, seemed a little harder to navigate for us novices (the part in the video when my wife asked if we were on the right trail :) )

Sponsored

desert_rat

Big Bend
First Name
Leslie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CRV
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

looks like a great trip, thanks for the video!! do you think black gap is doable in a stock BB? seems like it if that ledge no longer exists. i've always wanted to drive that road

OP
OP
Ironiguana

Ironiguana

Black Diamond
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

looks like a great trip, thanks for the video!! do you think black gap is doable in a stock BB? seems like it if that ledge no longer exists. i've always wanted to drive that road
Yes I think so. I never hit my skid plates on anything including my rear shock skid.

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Very nice. Great music choice- 3rd Rock from the Sun (y)

FoxFour281

Black Diamond
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 02 Expedition EB
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Awesome set-up! Mind listing the brand of tent? My mom is hell bent having one for her Bronco. I helped her setup one from Costco and I was not impressed with the fitment.

OP
OP
Ironiguana

Ironiguana

Black Diamond
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Awesome set-up! Mind listing the brand of tent? My mom is hell bent having one for her Bronco. I helped her setup one from Costco and I was not impressed with the fitment.
https://www.napieroutdoors.com/us/product/sportz-suv-tent-model-82000/
I got it for $100 cheaper on Amazon on their Black Friday sale. Its really well made.

Here is the list of stuff for my tent camping set up if you're interested:
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/black-diamond-bronco-car-camping-build.69611/#post-1859507

Sponsored

DallasCajun

Raptor
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
That looks awesome...need to find a buddy to make the trip from Dallas with me as my wife is nowhere as adventurous as yours. She may claim to be a country girl but not any more.

OP
OP
Ironiguana

Ironiguana

Black Diamond
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

BBNP is awesome. Partially because it so remote and less crowded.

Couple weeks back we've camped on a primitive site (Telephone Canyon) accessible by Old Ore road - really nice drive.
Ford Bronco Big Bend National Park camping pics and Black Gap Road video PXL_20230326_164135752
When we were camping, we only saw 2 people. One was a person just checking out the road and the other was a ranger checking for dead bodies in the morning :)

When we were on Black Gap Road, we only saw 1 jeep and 3 motorcycles in 3 hours. Very remote.

OP
OP
Ironiguana

Ironiguana

Black Diamond
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

That looks awesome...need to find a buddy to make the trip from Dallas with me as my wife is nowhere as adventurous as yours. She may claim to be a country girl but not any more.
This is why we only camped 1 night there and did the lodge for 2. Not showering for more than 1 day was not her idea of fun. She is a trooper though.