Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Explorer XLT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Am I like the only one going with the 2.3L? lol

Man, I feel like every post I read here is going 2.7. Making me feel like I'm missing something.
No, I was when I was all in on manual trans. I was reading/researching thoughts on 2.3L vs 2.7L and just came to the conclusion that I'm more comfortable with the 2.7L for my situation and investment in this vehicle. I figured after installing a catch can for my comfort level, then maintaining that, for who knows how many years, that I'd actually be ahead on time and maybe even money by just getting the 2.7L. I like manual transmissions, but coupling the 2.3L concerns with some questions surrounding the manual trans and where it's being made, I decided against that setup.

edit: Whether my concerns are valid is up for debate and has been on these forums. It's simply my comfort level with both that drove my decision. I do realize nothing is guaranteed with a vehicle and it's performance/quality, so I think there's some risk involved with either.
Sponsored

sjjohnny

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Black Diamond, '00 Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm about 98% sure I'm going with BD, 2dr, auto, 2.7, Auto4x4, Non-squatch, tow, Mid. I plan on pulling a small trailer, otherwise I'd consider the 2.3.

Love the non-sig headlights, grill, steelies (not so much the gloss black paint though) - the utilitarian, retro looks appeal to me. I live in the desert southwest so the dark MGV has me a little concerned about heat, but every description describes them as 'really nice'. Should be easy to blow off the dust. I figure I can get those beaded seat cushions if it gets too hot.... and look really retro. lol

For the last 20 years I've been driving a '00 Pre-runner equipped with crank windows (I insisted, and manual doors/windows were tough to find even in 2000) and one high tech option -- cruise control. Great truck, only 155K on it, so I'm keeping. I should be WOW..ed by the Mid package.

wvmtneer

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I was leaning BD, 2.7, mid, squatch....but the base squatch with a 2.7 keeps calling me and saying things like, 9 grand is a lot of mods, Katskins are only 2k, or get some good Okoles you cheap bastard, go custom bumper, it will be better, you're going to replace the rock rails with steps anyway, carpet will reduce the road noise and get some weathertechs, oh you want heated seat? whimp, remote start? just use the app princess, you need BLIS? maybe you shouldnt drive anymore grandpa.
Ditto. I plan on ordering mod bumper though for base sasquatch. 12 v solutions should offer a remote start(if you donā€™t want fordpass tracking you). Iā€™ll figure out something for heated seats as well. Thats gets me to 44k msrp instead north of 50k. Too many compromises still occur at 50k, and 44k(before Stephens deal) is easier to swallow for a toy.

Skip2a

Black Diamond
First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

BD, 2.7, Auto, Mid, Tow, roof rack and SAS in A51.

Sponsored

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
A51, 2.7, mid. Maybe the advanced transfer case...

Seventyfouronthefloor

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco, LUBR, Chrome Yellow, 2016 Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Did anyone else notice that they fixed the build & price bug on Black Diamond where you could first pick Medium Package and get the automatic transmission with it and then be able to select the 2.7L for free (no added cost increase?) I re-did it today and it took my build from 39,635 to 41,530. Too good to be true I guess. I saved a PDF printout to take to my dealer... fingers crossed!

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 05 Volvo V70R, 17 Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Did anyone else notice that they fixed the build & price bug on Black Diamond where you could first pick Medium Package and get the automatic transmission with it and then be able to select the 2.7L for free (no added cost increase?) I re-did it today and it took my build from 39,635 to 41,530. Too good to be true I guess. I saved a PDF printout to take to my dealer... fingers crossed!
I'll have to check that out and rebuild by BD.

Scooter

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65 Comet, 2011 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I own a 2011 XL Ford Ranger 2.3L, 4 Speed with Over Drive. 4.11 gears, 2 WD. I have to put snowy's on it in the Winter with sand in back. Its has very little features. ie roll up windows. Everyday driver. Commute 15min each way. No Grid Lock. 145 HP 3300lbs. I would not want this motor with an Automatic. I have destroyed my cloth seats with abuse and dog. Hoping Vinyl will fair better.

I have dreamed about a capable vehicle. Me being a Ford Guy I am saving for a 2023 4 Door Black Diamond, Bronco. Cactus Grey, Steel Rims. Hoping in Winter Conditions that I can just run one set of tires. Thinking of the Nokian Rotiiva AT Plus year round.

My Black Diamond Build would be cost effective for me. I calculated it as $61 000 CND dollars, taxes in.

I figure with the 4400lbs the 2.3L with 270Hp and 7 speed manual with 4.46 Gears, 32" tires should work fine.

One of my big concerns is it fitting under my 6' 6" under ground parking gate. Thus no big tires or lift. I figure it will just fit under my gate with roof racks. Kinda sucks that I will have to strap my 6" thick paddle board on outside. Other big concern is that it does not have as much room as my Ranger for camping gear. Maybe a cage on the roof. Again would have to load my truck outside my parking.

Build:.

Modular Top when it comes available with sound deadening
Roof Rails.
Towing Package. May run a T Bar on the back with a bike rack. When needed. Probably cover up camera.
Keyless entry pad. Would leave my keys in truck when on the water.
No Mid Package. Only would want the heated seats.
Floor mats
Wish it came with that old school backup beeping system.
Don't need locking front Diff

Rednek

Black Diamond
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco BD/2023 Maverick XLT/02 F150/68 Torino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

on the Canadian site they still bone us with a 2000.00 upgrade to 2.7l,even with mid and a/t selected.

Sponsored

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You can get the front locker with the Squatch package.
$5000 is alot for a locker. Yeah its a good deal but I am not wealthy and should not be buying something that costs $45,000. I am willing to but I will regret it for approximately 72 months. A simple locker upgrade for $1000 or so would allow me to spend responsibly and when I do have the extra cash here and there I can do the rest of the upgrades that I will eventually need. And no I cant get any of the standard models below badlands because they all have a weaker front differential and that isnt an option for an offroader.

Studawg

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Excursion, 96 Land Cruiser, 18 Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
To anyone who has real world experience , truly how helpful is the swaybar disconnect?
on the videos it looks like it might give you two or 3 inches maybe on a side.

for me it is pertinent to this conversation because Iā€™m Black diamond with Sasquatch right now, but in the future will I wish I had the swaybar disconnect?
Ive wheeled quite a bit and thought about this quite a bit, and I dont see the swaybar disco as that big of a deal.

Heres how I see it:

1. The biggest reason to have all four wheels touching the ground is for maximum traction, right?

When one of your front wheels comes off the ground, on an open-diff axle, then all the power will go to that wheel, it will just spin and you will get no traction from your front axle at all.

Being able to gain more articulation through a switchable sway bar disco would be beneficial in that situation, because it may put that tire back on the ground, and some power will now get to the ground.

But in the case of the Sasquatch models, as you said you will be getting (as am I) you have a front diff locker. This all becomes moot.

A Bronco on 35s, with just a rear locker is going to go a LONG way. You will rarely even need the front locker. Now say you encounter an obstacle and it puts one of your front tires up in the air, and say you need more traction. Well, just lock the front diff. Problem solved.

(Actually, now that I think about it, they should have made the SBD as standard or an option on vehicles WITHOUT the front locker, seems to me that would have made more sense.)

2. The other reason, besides traction, where the SBD might come in handy, I guess, would be preventing a rollover? Maybe you are doing such hardcore wheeling that you are just pushing the envelope, living on the edge, and teetering on the brink of rolling over and that extra couple inches could provide the stability to keep it from going all the way over? I dont know, that situation will probably never happen to 99% of Bronco owners to begin with, and even then, the SBD wont prevent rollovers in just as many of those situations as it would. Iim just spitballing here.

3. The SBD is only for the front. Maybe if it was both axles, it would be more attractive, as far as gaining articulation.

4. Complexity. I like simple things. My 200 Series LC has front sway bar disconnect and I wish it didnt. There are some known issues with it, especially when adding a lift. Now, its an automatic system, and probably more complex. And I dont wheel the 200 so if I did I may appreciate it more, but I dont know. I like to keep things simple. Fewer things to go wrong. This video gives me the heebie jeebies........

If that doesnt come through, its the video of the guy disconnecting and reconnecting the sway bar, via dash button, and the whole vehicle moving up and down a couple inches. Yikes. That just seems destined to fail.

So I dont think the SBD is that big of a deal, considering its only the front, and the vehicles it comes on will already have a front locker. I personally like the interior, the accent colors and of course the price of the BD much more than the BL, so for me the SBD doesnt really give me any incentive to go BL. And in the extreme, it may actually be something to AVOID.

Just my two cents....

For the record, Im going with....

4Dr
Oxford White
Black Diamond
Sasquatch
V6/Auto
Mid Package
Tow Package
Mesh Bimini Top

Last edited:

Bronco88

Black Diamond
First Name
Ajay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Iā€™m landing on an Iconic Silver 4dr BD, 2.3, Mid, Soft top, Adv 4X4, Auto, towing, with stock steelies, in the low $40,000s at Stevens. Almost all of you have picked the 2.7. Can you help me justify paying $1,895 for the 2.7?
1895 is for 2.7 and 10 Speed

flatlander40

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ive wheeled quite a bit and thought about this quite a bit, and I dont see the swaybar disco as that big of a deal.

Heres how I see it:

1. The biggest reason to have all four wheels touching the ground is for maximum traction, right?

When one of your front wheels comes off the ground, on an open-diff axle, then all the power will go to that wheel, it will just spin and you will get no traction from your front axle at all.

Being able to gain more articulation through a switchable sway bar disco would be beneficial in that situation, because it may put that tire back on the ground, and some power will now get to the ground.

But in the case of the Sasquatch models, as you said you will be getting (as am I) you have a front diff locker. This all becomes moot.

A Bronco on 35s, with just a rear locker is going to go a LONG way. You will rarely even need the front locker. Now say you encounter an obstacle and it puts one of your front tires up in the air, and say you need more traction. Well, just lock the front diff. Problem solved.

(Actually, now that I think about it, they should have made the SBD as standard or an option on vehicles WITHOUT the front locker, seems to me that would have made more sense.)

2. The other reason, besides traction, where the SBD might come in handy, I guess, would be preventing a rollover? Maybe you are doing such hardcore wheeling that you are just pushing the envelope, living on the edge, and teetering on the brink of rolling over and that extra couple inches could provide the stability to keep it from going all the way over? I dont know, that situation will probably never happen to 99% of Bronco owners to begin with, and even then, the SBD wont prevent rollovers in just as many of those situations as it would. Iim just spitballing here.

3. The SBD is only for the front. Maybe if it was both axles, it would be more attractive, as far as gaining articulation.

4. Complexity. I like simple things. My 200 Series LC has front sway bar disconnect and I wish it didnt. There are some known issues with it, especially when adding a lift. Now, its an automatic system, and probably more complex. And I dont wheel the 200 so if I did I may appreciate it more, but I dont know. I like to keep things simple. Fewer things to go wrong. This video gives me the heebie jeebies........

If that doesnt come through, its the video of the guy disconnecting and reconnecting the sway bar, via dash button, and the whole vehicle moving up and down a couple inches. Yikes. That just seems destined to fail.

So I dont think the SBD is that big of a deal, considering its only the front, and the vehicles it comes on will already have a front locker. I personally like the interior, the accent colors and of course the price of the BD much more than the BL, so for me the SBD doesnt really give me any incentive to go BL. And in the extreme, it may actually be something to AVOID.

Just my two cents....

For the record, Im going with....

4Dr
Oxford White
Black Diamond
Sasquatch
V6/Auto
Mid Package
Tow Package
Mesh Bimini Top
Good information ... thanks!

Rednek

Black Diamond
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco BD/2023 Maverick XLT/02 F150/68 Torino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

what people are forgetting is the traction control will help the open diff to achieve traction transfer
Sponsored