broadicustomworks

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wow. Almost covers it. Wow. Great pics all of you. What a trip.

A bighorn sheep? Waiting to be photographed?
Yeah there like 4 of them on the left edge of the road. As we approached, one of them wanted his time in the spotlight so he crossed over to the right and just posed there.
Sponsored

Last edited:

talbot

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr BL AMB
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think @talbot had 2 or 3 gallons, and @Rick Astley might have had 10?

Weird thing is that it seemed like everyone, regardless of door count, used about half a tank over the course of the 2 days on White Rim. 2-doors used the first quarter of their tank faster, but it all evened out quickly.

yeah I had 3 gal extra, and used half a tank for the 2 days
most of the trail was in 2H, using 4H every once in a while for short periods and locker 2 or 3 times

Hopeless Diamond

Badlands
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350/2dr Rubicon/'96 4R/'75 Intl D150/'22 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Awesome, might have seen some of you go through town on one of the days. We just got back from there (left town on Friday the 24th). Didn't do as many trails as I would have liked, had small kids with us that I kept getting told didn't want to spend so much time in the car (not by them though...). 4dr Chili Pepper Red Badlands and Ranger Tremor (did really well). We did get some fun in and I paid the price. Got to remove and clean my alternator, so glad that worked.

OP
OP
broadicustomworks

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Awesome, might have seen some of you go through town on one of the days. We just got back from there (left town on Friday the 24th). Didn't do as many trails as I would have liked, had small kids with us that I kept getting told didn't want to spend so much time in the car (not by them though...). 4dr Chili Pepper Red Badlands and Ranger Tremor (did really well). We did get some fun in and I paid the price. Got to remove and clean my alternator, so glad that worked.
I saw your HPR in town!
Lots of cool rigs around the area I kept checking out.
Saw a few Cactus Broncos, a White WT, and a Cyber 4 dr.

Screen Protech

Badlands
First Name
Dalan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
screenprotech.com
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac XT6 Bronco Badlands Lamborghini Gallardo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wow. Epic adventure!

My wife, daughter, and I left out on the 15th of March for a meandering trip to Moab and returned at 4:39am this morning finally to our much-awaited own beds and showers.
We left NC and went SW, visiting Rte.66 as we could, eventually ending up in Winslow, AZ.
After a day-diversion to the Grand Canyon we left for Moab, finally arriving in the dark to rest up for the coming several-day adventures.

1AFA23B4-560A-4B4C-8321-2279740C9834.jpeg

8B3CFE55-6850-4CAD-87FD-043EBBD89930.jpeg

4DB7A371-89BB-424F-BBED-794157AC443D.jpeg

B9D85EB9-73DD-4A6E-BCF1-4CDFF221B0D1.jpeg

766988AD-0C63-4278-B507-465227DFBA4E.jpeg

We met up with a few fellow B6G friends @HotdogThud @Rick Astley @talbot @Natai @Kickit @618TRVLWILD and began our adventures.

A couple of us tackled Fins N Things after a morning of sightseeing and shopping. It was a good introduction and first-trail ride, offering beautiful views of the La Sal mountains and whetting our appetites for some non-paved fun.

616F5DA6-4838-4B67-9CD1-3C32F305F90C.jpeg

A60DA153-79CA-45E0-A2D4-1126CF234B97.jpeg

DAFF5A49-0752-42DD-BA38-8E679AA63D32.jpeg

The next day we all met up together and entered White Rim via Potash Rd because Shafer Switchbacks were closed due to winter conditions.
Day 1 of it was comprised of the first half, camping at Murphy’s Hogback.
The first day offered up multiple beautiful vistas and further enticed us to venture onward.
We ended the day going up the Hogback climb, quickening our pulses and offering up the first shift into anything I felt needed 4 hi for security’s sake.
Little did we know what we would face on the last half would make that hill climb seem like a mall parking lot in comparison.
BC006BC6-0039-42B7-9E0E-37AC4981632E.jpeg

14C3CC36-6628-4788-8538-5F217F06F112.jpeg

01857EBE-0F0D-4E41-860E-FE7956A56345.jpeg

8FBDF165-A5A5-4E27-BFFC-C0B3FAF48263.jpeg

D1E91307-51C7-4EF0-9B7E-40F2427D1138.jpeg

F8B05AE2-98EB-4E52-8A6F-1BEEE1888411.jpeg

The intent was to get to camp with plenty of daylight left and hang out together.
The first part worked out but the weather made it less-than-ideal for hanging out much.
Temps in the 30’s with a constant drizzle-laden chilly wind cut our campfire time down considerably.

2EF2682E-B063-428A-949C-E96D0CC599CD.jpeg

Day 2 began with a rocky descent down the backside of Murphy’s and onto some more pretty simple, picturesque trail riding that took us really close to the canyon ledges at times, and far into the expanse at others.

I have read and heard about Hardscrabble Hill being “difficult” but none of what I expected prepared me or the group for what we encountered.

To be fair, Ford made us a vehicle that is quite capable, and for this we were all grateful.
Those of us with trail camera capability really put it to some use on those blind turns and hill-cresting “where is the trail!?” Moments.

One of the group had a friend in a brand-spankin’ new Tundra come along and I was more than a little impressed with his ability to get that beast turned and threaded between rocks.
Hardscrabble hill is now regarded as “Pucker Pass”, and forever will be in infamy as such. Quite the fitting name.

Just wide enough most of the time for a Bronco with a sheer several-thousand ft. drop on the driver’s side and rock scrabble/Mesa verticals on the passenger. Most of these pics were of the wider sections of it.

When there were shelves to navigate they were on the uphill side of the blind curves, and often off-camber, wanting to push you even closer to the edge should you shift or slide.

Definitely a challenge and highlight of the trail, I found myself radioing in to ask for a breather to collect my nerves once we were back down near the River.

I don’t have a full blown fear of heights, but more of a “dislike for sketchy heights where I could die in a fiery crash” where I can’t always see the trail over the hood. This section blurred that line for me.

E0A9DC64-49E9-42B1-96C9-D4BBF8D68A75.jpeg

A7BEF5DD-C8A5-48B5-90F7-9BF09F49D56F.jpeg

CF12CF31-AC59-4B88-A71A-AE6D6184DDE9.jpeg

Once we enjoyed the muddy flat section nearest the river, we ascended the switchbacks at Mineral Bottom, aired up, and ventured back to Moab for some supper and a shower.
We had plans to camp over in Sand Flats but a constant cold rain and wind made it an easy decision by popular vote to grab a real meal and a hot shower.

The next day we mostly parted ways, some continuing to venture around Moab, some heading toward Kanab, and some headed home.

We ended up “stranded” in Eagle, Co. due to Vail Pass being snow-covered and the interstate closed.

After a late noon start again we found it to still be icy but passable.

Without the boring details of everything past Denver and points East, we covered a lot of miles and added a lot of states to our “visited” list.

I feel extremely thankful for being able to make this trip, meet my friends in person, and do the entire trip without anyone breaking anything, breaking down, or incident.

I stopped at a Ford dealer in Kansas and bought a new air filter, as I saw my MPG’s were drastically lower after the trip out and the salt-filled road spray of CO.

SYNOPSIS:
-11 days of travel.
-4,857 miles
-17 states travelled (8 new additions to my “been-to” list).

I humbly invite the others to post up their (better) pictures, and Videos.
below are a few quick clip videos (quite raw and unprofessional quality).

Looks like it was an awesome trip!

Sponsored

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I have Badlands takeoffs. Sounds like to go out there Ill need rock rails and some under-armor! I'm all beach right now!
If you already have the back country permits, and camping permits, then go hit it up! You can do White Rim Trail without much. But if you want to do Fins And Things, or Hells Revenge or any of the red difficulty trails, expect damage.

Without sliders the body damage may end up damaging your door.

If you made a serious mistake on your order sheet and have an automatic, then a trans skid would be nearly mandatory plus front skid.

Beautiful 😍 thanks for sharing and I want to know what winch plate you're using 👍
JCR front bumper.

Ford Bronco Broadicustomworks (and B6G friends) venture to Moab 20230326_174902

For those in the 2Drs.....how much extra fuel did you carry with you to feel comfortable?
Used 1/4 tank getting fron Moab to the White Rim Trail, then 1/2 tank over the entire 98 mile drive.

while the Bro cos dont get exceptional MPG on-road, it sips fuel on the trail.

I think @talbot had 2 or 3 gallons, and @Rick Astley might have had 10?

Weird thing is that it seemed like everyone, regardless of door count, used about half a tank over the course of the 2 days on White Rim. 2-doors used the first quarter of their tank faster, but it all evened out quickly.
Yea, I had 10 gal (pair of Wavian cans) in the cargo hold. Used both of them twice, but for extending highway stints through areas without service stations. Never cared about monitoring consumption when you have a spare half tank in the cargo.

Amazingly, the Bronco never needed aux fuel on the trails. This has led me to believe the perfect setup for extended PNW Trail trips will be the upcoming Hammerbuilt plate, hinges and Wavian can holder. That will free up a ton of cargo area and on this trip I found 10 gal to be overkill.

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

If you already have the back country permits, and camping permits, then go hit it up! You can do White Rim Trail without much. But if you want to do Fins And Things, or Hells Revenge or any of the red difficulty trails, expect damage.

Without sliders the body damage may end up damaging your door.

If you made a serious mistake on your order sheet and have an automatic, then a trans skid would be nearly mandatory plus front skid.

JCR front bumper.

Used 1/4 tank getting fron Moab to the White Rim Trail, then 1/2 tank over the entire 98 mile drive.

Yea, I had 10 gal (pair of Wavian cans) in the cargo hold. Used both of them twice, but for extending highway stints through areas without service stations. Never cared about monitoring consumption when you have a spare half tank in the cargo.

Amazingly, the Bronco never needed aux fuel on the trails. This has led me to believe the perfect setup for extended PNW Trail trips will be the upcoming Hammerbuilt plate, hinges and Wavian can holder. That will free up a ton of cargo area and on this trip I found 10 gal to be overkill.
I was very impressed with the Hammerbuilt rear support plate, which I bought to mount the Rotopax Cans. How is the Hammerbuilt skid plate system, or which is best.

SmartSelect_20230327_070920_Gallery.jpg

Wark

Base
First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Ford Bronco Broadicustomworks (and B6G friends) venture to Moab 1679922439297

The real question was - did you get a permit to drive on this road?

And, why no dogs, fires, or ATVs? It doesn't say no Broncos, lol.

I want to read some stories about people who've been caught on trail without documentation, lol.

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The real question was - did you get a permit to drive on this road?

And, why no dogs, fires, or ATVs? It doesn't say no Broncos, lol.

I want to read some stories about people who've been caught on trail without documentation, lol.
Yes, we all had permits.
It's a national park, so no fires. And the no dogs bit has to do with protecting the cyanobacteria in the ecosystem. A bit much, but at least there's an actual reason.
And we actually did have a fire, just brought a portable propane fire pit.

We had some discussions leading up to all this about making sure we were compliant with everything and what to do if we encountered any difficult rangers. Didn't see a ranger the whole time. I think we only saw 6 other vehicles the whole trail.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well I'm mega jelly now and this just makes the next month of waiting grind extra slow.

How many hours drive time was White Rim? Is my plan of doing it in a single day too ambitious?

Sponsored

Hopeless Diamond

Badlands
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350/2dr Rubicon/'96 4R/'75 Intl D150/'22 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
JCR front bumper.

I wouldn't characterize it as sipping, but it is much better that driving across southern Idaho at 80+ with very strong head/cross winds. Average was down in the low 12s.

Looks like you caught some of the weather going over Soldier Summit between Helper and Spanish Fork. It was snowing pretty good when we went through, and all the way up to SLC.

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well I'm mega jelly now and this just makes the next month of waiting grind extra slow.

How many hours drive time was White Rim? Is my plan of doing it in a single day too ambitious?
I'd describe it as doable, but not recommended.

Depending on routes you take to get to/from the trail, you're looking at roughly 100 miles. I'd say we averaged under 10mph. You could go slightly faster, and avoid stopping for anything to get it done in about 10 hours. I almost wish we had stopped more often, as I feel like I missed out on some cool photos.

talbot

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr BL AMB
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Agree with @Natai
You probably could do in one day, but you would be giving up a lot of the whole experience

Wark

Base
First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Yes, we all had permits.
It's a national park, so no fires. And the no dogs bit has to do with protecting the cyanobacteria in the ecosystem. A bit much, but at least there's an actual reason.
And we actually did have a fire, just brought a portable propane fire pit.

We had some discussions leading up to all this about making sure we were compliant with everything and what to do if we encountered any difficult rangers. Didn't see a ranger the whole time. I think we only saw 6 other vehicles the whole trail.
Thanks for the response. It looks like an amazing trip. Added to the bucket list.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'd describe it as doable, but not recommended.

Depending on routes you take to get to/from the trail, you're looking at roughly 100 miles. I'd say we averaged under 10mph. You could go slightly faster, and avoid stopping for anything to get it done in about 10 hours. I almost wish we had stopped more often, as I feel like I missed out on some cool photos.
It's not my preference to do it in a single day but there was no camping available so I have to make do. It's possible that I never it make it back with a 6G.
Sponsored