broncosor

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I had the chance to drive extensively the 2.3 and 2.7 on the Bronco (all 4 doors), thanks to dealer vehicles (for on road driving) as well as Bronco Offrodeo (for off road comparison).

I see a lot of posts and threads about is the 2.3 sufficient and so on so I am reporting my findings.

Introduction:
- First I was able to demo a 2.3 Ranger and a 2.7 F-150. Loved the 2.3 in the ranger
- I initially ordered the 2.3 after the ranger/F150 drive (now switched to a 2.7)
- I daily drive a SUV with 180HP and it's fine to me
- we were 3 people able to drive and compare and the 3 of us agreed so you get 3 piece of advice here in 1
- I only tested the AUTO. This does NOT apply to manual (that has a different gearing anyway). This does not apply to 2D either.

Conclusions:
- First and foremost if you have driven a Ranger or own a ranger, FORGET ABOUT IT. The Bronco is a MUCH heavier vehicle, and in the heavy Badlands I drove, it could NOT compare with the Ranger in any way. The engine was fun and powerful in the Ranger with good pickup. In the Bronco it felt sluggish. Not smooth at all and would produce heavy sounds while not moving the vehicle much. The gearing compensates the larger tires but nothing seems to compensate for the heavier weight.
- The 2.7 felt smooth and powerful. I enjoyed driving it and felt connected with the vehicle. It was never struggling even off-road and felt like it was quiet, smooth and with enough power when I needed.
- I am frustrated, because I was initially happy after the Ranger test drive. Happy to save $2K and slightly better MPG because I am not getting a Bronco to race so I just needed adequate power. But now I would not take the 2.3 if you paid me $5K.

Again this does not apply to manual (different gearing) and it does not apply to base/big bend (light vehicles). I only compared Sasquatched Badlands (5200 pounds). If you are getting a heavy Bronco don't cheap out. Get the 2.7 and thank me later when you test drive your friend's 2.3 and realize you avoided a catastrophe (lol).

By the way, those drives and the offrodeo confirmed my excitement about the Bronco. Incredible vehicle and capability, super comfortable on and off-road.
Also I really recommend the Lux package it made my experience much better with the cameras off road, the base sound system was horrible but the upgraded B&O was really decent, and the adaptive cruise was nice on the highway.

One more point, after driving the Badlands with 33s and 35s I really recommend going Sasquatch. The 35 were actually more comfortable on road, and look is better. Also during Off-rodeo I was following all along a 33 Badlands and I did not touch under body where they did so the added clearance really made a difference.

That's my 2 cents anyway. To each his own!
Sponsored

Last edited:

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

After driving the Badlands with 33s and 35s I really recommend going Sasquatch. The 35 were actually more comfortable on road, and look is better. Also during Off-rodeo I was following all along a 33 Badlands and I did not touch under body where they did so the added clearance really made a difference.
Having driven a Big Bend 2.3L and a Wildtrak (2.7L w/ Sas std), I completely disagree about the 35s being more comfortable on the road. I found the Big Bend to be significantly more comfortable on the road.

Also I really recommend the Lux package it made my experience much better with the cameras off road, the base sound system was horrible but the upgraded B&O was really decent, and the adaptive cruise was nice on the highway.
I also don't fully agree in regards to the packages. I don't feel like High/Lux is worth the cost, but I realize I'm probably in the minority there. Although I do agree that the base sound system leaves a lot to be desired. (I wasn't overly impressed with B&O either—although it was definitely a lot better than base.)

Beyond that, agree with almost everything else you said.

If I'm being honest, the 2.3L does seem sufficient for the Bronco, and I suspect the vast majority who order the 2.3L will be happy with the 2.3L. But the 2.7L does give it a "smoother" overall experience. It just feels like the 2.7L was meant for the Bronco and the 2.3L is the comprising choice. Very similar to the the Cyclone V6 versus the EcoBoost/Coyote in the F-150. The Cyclone V6 works... but it's just... "meh".

Unfortunately for me, as someone who really is only seriously considering the Bronco because of the manual transmission, I'll probably have to compromise with the 2.3L. Unless Ford answers my prayers and pairs it with the 2.7L—but I doubt that'll happen.

EDIT:
One more thing to note... if you are going to get the Badlands and put 37s - 40s on it... skip the Sasquatch package. Not worth the added cost. Otherwise, it's a solid upgrade.

Rahkmalla

Base
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 K900
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Also during Off-rodeo I was following all along a 33 Badlands and I did not touch under body where they did so the added clearance really made a difference.
For reference it's a .827 inch clearance differential. Definitely not nothing, but not exactly night and day either.

H0pelessOpus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands; 2022 Maverick Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Having driven a Big Bend 2.3L and a Wildtrak (2.7L w/ Sas std), I completely disagree about the 35s being more comfortable on the road. I found the Big Bend to be significantly more comfortable on the road.

I also don't fully agree in regards to the packages. I don't feel like High/Lux is worth the cost, but I realize I'm probably in the minority there. Although I do agree that the base sound system leaves a lot to be desired. (I wasn't overly impressed with B&O either—although it was definitely a lot better than base.)

Beyond that, agree with almost everything else you said.

If I'm being honest, the 2.3L does seem sufficient for the Bronco, and I suspect the vast majority who order the 2.3L will be happy with the 2.3L. But the 2.7L does give it a "smoother" overall experience. It just feels like the 2.7L was meant for the Bronco and the 2.3L is the comprising choice. Very similar to the the Cyclone V6 versus the EcoBoost/Coyote in the F-150. The Cyclone V6 works... but it's just... "meh".

Unfortunately for me, as someone who really is only seriously considering the Bronco because of the manual transmission, I'll probably have to compromise with the 2.3L. Unless Ford answers my prayers and pairs it with the 2.7L—but I doubt that'll happen.
I'm thinking about abandoning my 2.3L w/ manual plans. I like driving a stick daily but for all of my long mountain trips I'm going to want to torque and passing ability of the 2.7L. After filling the truck with camping & hiking gear I don't think the 2.3L will be happy.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm thinking about abandoning my 2.3L w/ manual plans. I like driving a stick daily but for all of my long mountain trips I'm going to want to torque and passing ability of the 2.7L. After filling the truck with camping & hiking gear I don't think the 2.3L will be happy.
Honestly—might do the same. I haven't fully decided yet... going to see how Ford prices the Sasquatch manual package, but I'm close to switching.

If I do switch, it'll be the first automatic vehicle I've ever owned. But with electric vehicles on the horizon I guess I should get used to not changing my own gears.

Sponsored

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had the chance to drive extensively the 2.3 and 2.7 on the Bronco, thanks to dealer vehicles (for on road driving) as well as Bronco Offrodeo (for off rodeo comparison).

I see a lot of posts and threads about is the 2.3 sufficient and so on so I am reporting my findings.

Introduction:
- First I was able to demo a 2.3 Ranger and a 2.7 F-150. Loved the 2.3 in the ranger
- I initially ordered the 2.3 after the ranger/F150 drive (now switched to a 2.7)
- I daily drive an SUV with 180HP and it's fine to me
- we were 3 people able to drive and compare and the 3 of us agreed so you get 3 piece of advice here in 1
- I only tested the AUTO. This does NOT apply to manual (that has a different gearing anyway).

Conclusions:
- First and foremost if you have driven a Ranger or own a ranger, FORGET ABOUT IT. The Bronco is a MUCH heavier vehicle, and in the heavy Badlands I drove, it could NOT compare with the Ranger in any way. The engine was fun and powerful in the Ranger with good pickup. In the Bronco it felt sluggish. Not smooth at all and would produce heavy sounds while not moving the vehicle much. The gearing compensates the larger tires but nothing seems to compensate for the heavier weight.
- The 2.7 felt smooth and powerful. I enjoyed driving it and felt connected with the vehicle. It was never struggling even off-road and felt like it was quite, smooth and with enough power when I needed.
- I am frustrated, because I was initially happy after the Ranger test drive. Happy to save $2K and slightly better MPG because I am not getting a Bronco to race so I just needed adequate power. But now I would not take the 2.3 if you paid me $5K.

Again this does not apply to manual (different gearing) and it does not apply to base/big bend (light vehicles). I only compared Sasquatched Badlands (5200 pounds). If you are getting a heavy Bronco don't cheap out. Get the 2.7 and thank me later when you test drive your friend's 2.3 and realize you avoided a catastrophe (lol).

By the way, those drives and the offrodeo confirmed my excitement about the Bronco. Incredible vehicle and capability, super comfortable on and off-road.

After driving the Badlands with 33s and 35s I really recommend going Sasquatch. The 35 were actually more comfortable on road, and look is better. Also during Off-rodeo I was following all along a 33 Badlands and I did not touch under body where they did so the added clearance really made a difference.

Were these 2 or 4 door Bronco's?

I also think you're missing the point with an offroad vehicle. The Bronco is a little heavier than a Jeep, but base motor to base motor, the 2.3 is the king. It's better than Jeeps 2.0 and even Jeep guys say the 2.0 is the one to have. And Toyota... Tacoma, 4 Runner... The 2.3 is way ahead on power and torque. Shit, the Taco still uses a 5 speed auto FFS.
Have your 2.7L and be happy... But 2.3 is plenty for my 2 door Squatched Badlands 🤷🏻

Last edited:

PartyMarty

Black Diamond
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Black Bear, 2009 VW Rabbit
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

$2k for the better engine, absolutely!! An extra $7k to upgrade my bd mid sas to a BL lux sas ain’t worth it imo (all I’d want out of the lux is the b&o anyways, and figured I could upgrade the sound myself for far less. The rest of the stuff is just extra to me.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I had the chance to drive extensively the 2.3 and 2.7 on the Bronco, thanks to dealer vehicles (for on road driving) as well as Bronco Offrodeo (for off rodeo comparison).

Introduction:
- I daily drive an SUV with 180HP and it's fine to me
- I only tested the AUTO. This does NOT apply to manual (that has a different gearing anyway).

Conclusions:
- The 2.7 felt smooth and powerful. I enjoyed driving it and felt connected with the vehicle. It was never struggling even off-road and felt like it was quite, smooth and with enough power when I needed.

I think you are on to something in terms of the vehicle weight. Leastways the difference between a more spartan 2-door and loaded 4-door can near 1000lbs. That's no small amount, and can impact performance. Something to consider when choosing an engine.

OP
OP
broncosor

broncosor

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am comparing Badlands 33in KO2 tires VS Sasquatch. You are talking about big bend which are 32in rides and more on road oriented. We aren’t comparing the same thing so you can’t disagree….

[/QUOTE]

I also think you're missing the point with an offroad vehicle. The Bronco is a little heavier than a Jeep, but base motor to base motor, the 2.3 is the king. It's better than Jeeps 2.0 and even Jeep guys say the 2.0 is the one to have. And Toyota... Tacoma, 4 Runner... The 2.3 is way ahead on power and torque. Shit, the Taco still uses a 5 speed auto FFS.
Have your 2.7L and be happy... But 2.3 is plenty for my 2 door Squatched Badlands 🤷🏻
I have driven multiple times the JL Sahara with the 2.0 and it was great. Not sure why you bring that different than a Bronco car into the picture.
The 4D Badlands 2.3 was nowhere near as peppy and enjoyable as the JL 2.0.
I never tried a 2D Bronco but I hope for you that there is a significant difference with the 4D I tried. Good luck!

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
We have a 2019 Ranger in our garage and i've driven it over the mountain passes and back while loaded with a 3,000 lb trailer, 800 lbs in the bed and 2 adults with gear in the cab.

I've done the math on this. The loaded ranger, pulling a trailer, weighs more than 5,200 lbs (no really, feel free to cross check the figures!)

2.3 was just fine on our trips and over our ownership. It's peppy enough to pass (even with the trailer and bed weight) uphill and on flats. It also hauls pretty good when you do a proper test of it (sport mode, manual shifting using the shifter buttons, 100% WOT). That the transmission sucks so much is the biggest problem with the 2.3.

I've also test driven a Bronco Badlands (Lux, optional tires) with the 2.3/MT and wrote about it (https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...dlands-2-3-mt-2-door.15102/page-7#post-750296)

@broncosor Could you please clearly define "to drive extensively the 2.3 and 2.7" because that will also give clarity to your feedback. Did you have the vehicles for X miles, X days, X hours? How "extensive" was your drive? This also matters as the 10AT "learns" (how to shift into 10th gear as soon as possible.... But aside from that) your driving, so it's noted to be fairly sluggish when new.

I only have about 9,000 miles of driving our Ranger out of it's under-20,000 mile life and also drove it to/from the dealership where we drove the Bronco. Your experience and comparison of that vehicle against Bronco could be more relevant and direct, but i'd like to get that feedback to give context to it.

Sponsored
OP
OP
broncosor

broncosor

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We have a 2019 Ranger in our garage and i've driven it over the mountain passes and back while loaded with a 3,000 lb trailer, 800 lbs in the bed and 2 adults with gear in the cab.

I've done the math on this. The loaded ranger, pulling a trailer, weighs more than 5,200 lbs (no really, feel free to cross check the figures!)

2.3 was just fine on our trips and over our ownership. It's peppy enough to pass (even with the trailer and bed weight) uphill and on flats. It also hauls pretty good when you do a proper test of it (sport mode, manual shifting using the shifter buttons, 100% WOT). That the transmission sucks so much is the biggest problem with the 2.3.

I've also test driven a Bronco Badlands (Lux, optional tires) with the 2.3/MT and wrote about it (https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...dlands-2-3-mt-2-door.15102/page-7#post-750296)

@broncosor Could you please clearly define "to drive extensively the 2.3 and 2.7" because that will also give clarity to your feedback. Did you have the vehicles for X miles, X days, X hours? How "extensive" was your drive? This also matters as the 10AT "learns" (how to shift into 10th gear as soon as possible.... But aside from that) your driving, so it's noted to be fairly sluggish when new.

I only have about 9,000 miles of driving our Ranger out of it's under-20,000 mile life and also drove it to/from the dealership where we drove the Bronco. Your experience and comparison of that vehicle against Bronco could be more relevant and direct, but i'd like to get that feedback to give context to it.
Ranger and F-150 was only a 20 min drive City and Highway. Didn’t need more time to feel like both were absolutely great.

Broncos were both a full day (thus the word “extensively” relative to the 20min mentioned test drive). Again did not need more time to see that driving the Badlands 4D 2.3 on huge tires and heavy weight (and different gearing) was a totally different experience from the Range. I am in the camp of “no need for much power” on that kind of vehicle. The 2.3 has enough power just like a basic sedan has enough, it’s just the way it feels that’s completely wrong. It feels like the engine revs a lot and makes heavy sounds and is crying yet you didn’t move much. The 2.7 feels effortless and smooth.
my friend and my wife the 3 of us we were excited for the 2.3 and when driving it in the Broncos where like well shit 2.7 it is. Just saying….

I thought most people took the 2.7 because they just select the biggest engine by default. I thought the 2.3 was fine and was happy with spending less and having one less turbo etc… well that thing shouldn’t be on a Bronco.

It might work well for a big bend IDK I can just speak of what I tried.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I think you are on to something in terms of the vehicle weight. Leastways the difference between a more spartan 2-door and loaded 4-door can near 1000lbs. That's no small amount, and can impact performance. Something to consider when choosing an engine.
Exactly, I suspect that the nearly 700 lbs lighter that my 2d OBX is compared to a 4d FE will make a huge difference in 0-60 times, especially after I put some 235/40R18 Nitto NT01's on it.

Last edited:

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Slightly off topic but you mention the biggest negative of the Ranger is the shifting. Do you or have you seen any decent tuning for the transmission?

The biggest negative for my Tacoma is the transmission shifting. I picked up a module that makes the shifting more normal (slightly sporty) and much more livable. Just curious.

tamalediet

Black Diamond
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 XLT and a bunch of others- preorder on a BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

This is a good point. Mines a 4 door build but a 2.3 in a 2door lightweight bronco would be just fine (damn dependents needing a 4 door :( )

Lagrange 6g

Black Diamond
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 f250 2014 landcruiser 1978 cj5
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I’ve been babying my 2.3 manual bd til yesterday when I passed my 1000 mile break-in simply said if you know how to drive a manual and can figure out shift points and power band this thing hauls I’ll post a 0-60 video soon Will def b faster than tfl video And no engine isn’t tuned
Sponsored