Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands, 2020 Nissan Armada
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just wanted to share my impression with the 2.3L on my Bronco Badlands Sasquatch. In the first 300 miles it really did feel a bit sluggish, my theory is that the dealer filled up the tank with cheap 87 Octane gas. When I filled it up I started using 91/93 octane and it has slowly started to feel a bit more responsive. I am at close to 600 miles now and on my third tank of premium and I am happy to say that the engine feels like a great match to the car. I was afraid it was always going to feel underpowered due to the 35" tires. But if you keep it above 2300 rpms, it can even slide on the snow 😀. My advice for the people taking new deliveries with the 2.3l is to have some patience and make sure they use premium when the fill up.
Now, once Ford Performance comes with a power pack, that it will make that much more fun.
Sponsored

Last edited:

skweaz

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just wanted my impression with the 2.3l on my Bronco Badlands Sasquatch. In the first 300 miles it really did feel a bit sluggish, my theory is that the dealer filled up the tank with cheap 87 Octane gas. When I filled it up I started using 91/93 octane and it has slowly started to feel a bit more responsive. I am at close to 600 miles now and on my third tank of premium and I am happy to say that the engine feels like a great match to the car. I was afraid it was always going to feel underpowered due to the 35" tires. But if you keep it above 2300 roms, it can even slide on the snow 😀. My advice for the people taking new deliveries with the 2.3l is to have some patience and make sure they use premium when the fill up.
Now, once Ford Performance comes with a power pack, that it will make that much more fun.
I noticed the exact same thing in my 7MT Badlands (no squatch though); I'm at ~640 miles and just filled up for the 4th time, using premium each time. I noticed the 2.3 is much more responsive than on the dealers (presumably) low-octane fill up.

RunningJerk

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Dudes… you gotta let the engine break in. It’s a totally different engine after a few hundred miles. The first 300-500 miles feel like the engine is too tight and isn’t freely moving.

Sponsored

LT. DAN ICE CREAM!!!

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Using ForScan to enable Sport mode on your Badlands also wakes up this engine.

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am more than satisfied with the little inline 4-cyl 7MT, the thing is a hoot and I expect it to improve as it gets broken in. Initially I was nervous to upgrade from the stock non-sas 285/75 to a 35" x 10.5" but ended up being pleasantly surprised...the 7MT w/ the 4.70 gears on 35s is a very good match IMO. I was all onboard waiting for the Ford power tune to come out but now that I'm driving I'm giving it a second thought. I'll most likely still get the tune but I can't say that it is actually needed.

Jhuff

Badlands
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma and DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just took delivery of the 7MT Badlands Sasquatch 4dr.

I am pleasantly surprised! The weight of Badlands + Sasquatch had me a little concerned, but this thing is a great drive.

I especially like that it takes zero gas to take off in 1st, and any gas is too much. Ask me and my salesman how I know. Lol

Also, with 8 gear positions with C and R blocked, it truly is a theft prevention device. I don't know how many times I tried to take off in 3rd before I realized that you can't shift into R without the knob pulled up.
Sponsored