• Yes - but it's got some flexibility

Votes: 201 47.0%
  • Yes - but if it comes down to it, no

Votes: 71 16.6%
  • No - I'm confidently gonna get whatever I want

Votes: 92 21.5%
  • No - I don't think I need one

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • No - I haven't really thought about that yet...

Votes: 6 1.4%

• Total voters

Zero_chance

Badlands
First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.southvalleymustang.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Every time I see a $99/mo KIA ad on TV I think to myself....Man...I could have 10 of those.

Some personal life experience car buying thoughts:
If you think you can't afford something....you can't
If you think you don't want something....you don't.
Your first decision is always your best decision.
Never second guess yourself.

...and something we all know but choose to disregard:

New cars are the worst personal financial investment you can make.

Yet, here we are. Welcome to the club.
My wife and I said we’d never buy new again after the Mustang in 2017. We even thought we’d wait and buy a low mile used Bronco after launch. Not happening. If Bronco holds its value similar to Wranglers, it won’t be nearly as bad an investment as some vehicles.
Sponsored

Mustard

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chrysler 300C, Dodge Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The best financial advise my dad gave me was: do not buy anything that you cannot pay for with cash that day. Exceptions to this rule are big purchases like homes and cars (and hopefully cars come off the list as you get older). Simple rule, but effective.

Extra tidbit of knowledge a lot of people do not know or realize. If you have a 30-yr mortgage and you make an extra payment a year (so 13 instead of 12), then you'll pay off your mortgage in 21 years (if I remember correctly). Take advantage of anyway you can save money.

Beef78

Badlands
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus and 71 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That percentage will depend on where you buy the car. Do your research. I will end up paying around 7 percent for taxes in my state along with associated DMV feed and such that will put me somewhere around 8.5-9 percent. The dealer themselves shouldn’t charge a Percentage fee unless they’re just taking advantage of you. They may have fixed “document” fees and such, but look into which of those are legitimate.

I'm definitely going to ask again about that 12% because that dealership has amazing reviews and the guy I talked to seemed really open and not salesmany

Garbone

Big Bend
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1962 C10, 21 Mustang, 12 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
If I was in a tighter financial fix I would wait 2 or 3 years and buy used. Heck, the wife wants me to do that now. Cars a luxury and have very little real value behind the emotional, but you can't take your dollars with you in the end so enjoy.

My daily is 14 years old, I am not even going to sell it but store it away in the garage. Honestly, If Bronco had not come along I would probably just put new leather seats in the Mustang and be happy for another 10 years.

Base-2.7 squatch for about $41 and in 10 years no one will know any difference between it and a First Edition besides the fact one has ugly seats.

Chrism81

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

We already have one $700 per month car payment, my Mustang, which is why we are waiting until the wife graduates and starts bringing in the registered nurse income before committing to another similar payment. We’re not planning on ordering any sooner than March of 2022. We already have a ten year old and our dream home however, so we don’t have to worry about either of those items coming up again, which gives us more flexibility. If you want to buy a house in the next 5-7 years (i.e. the term of your prospective Bronco loan), I would make sure your debt to income ratio won’t be maxed out with the Bronco payment plus any other debt still on the books. Otherwise you’ll likely have to wait until the car note is up. Above all else, don’t go crazy and get a trimmed up version you won’t actually use to its potential if it’s going to make finances tight. We set a budget of around $50k for the Bronco, which based on the preliminary numbers we’ll be able to get exactly what we want, and will be putting $10k down on it. I think the build and price / order time will separate the men from the boys and you’ll see a lot of the Badlands reservations being shelved entirely or trimmed down to a more realistically priced version for some people.
A new nurse doesn't make a ton of money. More than the average starting salary I am guessing for many jobs, but it took me a good year till I was making around $10/hr more than what I started at and that's working nights and leaving the first hospital I worked at.

Sponsored

Straight 6

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Also to those who are fixated on retirement. Live your life and have fun you don’t even know if you’ll make it to retirement. Just be smart, pay your bills and be debt free by the time you’re 65 while saving for retirement.
If you fixate enough on retirement you won't have to work till 65 :)

Very valid point though, don't focus on the future so much that you don't enjoy the present

aplm7

Wildtrak
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Wildtrak 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I think lots of it is people think they will always have a steady income coming in, so the thought of a loan doesn't bother them much. If you don't have that confidence, maybe it's not time yet to buy yourself a toy like this, save up more and/or look for ways to grow your career first.

BroncoJay

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’ve learned over the years ...the new car smell wears off well before that nice car payment...
Meaning the joys of the Bronco most likely will wear out before that 5-6 year bank note...
Life is short be happy but be smart..

elmystico

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FJ Cruiser, 1990 Toyota pickup, 2021 Audi Q8
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A new nurse doesn't make a ton of money. More than the average starting salary I am guessing for many jobs, but it took me a good year till I was making around $10/hr more than what I started at and that's working nights and leaving the first hospital I worked at.
Does that depend on the type of nursing you go into and/or area of the country?

Beef78

Badlands
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus and 71 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Some fatherly advice from someone who is a father:
First off, know what you can/want to afford and don’t go beyond that. This includes input from your significant other and taking other goals into account.
Second, don’t buy the bronco to be your future “dad” car. Buy it because you like it. Unless the bronco is super crazy reliable or you keep it locked in your garage, there is a good chance you will have a different vehicle when your kids are old enough to be aware of stuff. (Note: I am buying a bronco to be my dad car my kids are 5-11 and they are more excited about it than I am.)
Lastly, when you buy your bronco, it is not an investment. You are purchasing a lifestyle. Moreover, a tool that will hopefully be an avenue to a lifestyle you desire. It is like purchasing a timeshare, going on a vacation or maybe upgrading your kitchen to nicer appliances. All this should be acknowledged and taken into account when budgeting. My wife and I know we will have to make some sacrifices to be able to meet savings goals if we are going to buy a new toy.

Sponsored

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Every time I see a $99/mo KIA ad on TV I think to myself....Man...I could have 10 of those.

Some personal life experience car buying thoughts:
If you think you can't afford something....you can't
If you think you don't want something....you don't.
Your first decision is always your best decision.
Never second guess yourself.

...and something we all know but choose to disregard:

New cars are the worst personal financial investment you can make.

Yet, here we are. Welcome to the club.
Smiles per miles. I bought a 2019 Scat Pack Challenger and I can afford it but that 48K was worth every penny. When I push that start button and hear that symphony of sound my heart melts. When I get in and can turn on my AC seats and flip into track mode and hit the gas and hear the tires squeal while the car just unleashes the most beautiful noises a mans ears have ever heard it’s worth it. So worth it. I took it to the track and I did a burnout and then lit em’ up with launch control and I squealed like a moronic 6 year old as I got 100+ mph while passing that finish line.

Last edited:

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Doesn’t make a ton of money? My brothers wife came out of school and was making like $38-40 an hour right off the bat, 80K a year is damn good money for a new job. She makes almost double that now.

Chrism81

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Doesn’t make a ton of money? My brothers wife came out of school and was making like $38-40 an hour right off the bat, 80K a year is damn good money for a new job. She makes almost double that now.
Also depends on where you live. I started off at $37. Guess I don't consider that salary that much considering what we are responsible for and do on a daily basis.

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you fixate enough on retirement you won't have to work till 65 :)

Very valid point though, don't focus on the future so much that you don't enjoy the present
Anyone retiring before 65 is far more wealthy than I. I do just fine for myself but I can’t envision retiring before 65!

Hypothetical:

You work from 25-55 and live to 85 so you have to cover 30 years.

At 3K month for 30 years you would need $1,080,000 saved up. I know stocks change things but I can’t calculate rate of return.

So you would have to save 3K a month in a 401K. 10% would be 360K a year. If you made 180K that’s 20% a year in a 401K.

10% on a 401K is a fairly significant amount of money for most people. Not to mention the 19.5K contribution limit. Obviously savings accounts exist though lol. I’m only saving like 1200-1500 a month currently.

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Also depends on where you live. I started off at $37. Guess I don't consider that salary that much considering what we are responsible for and do on a daily basis.
Oh I can agree with that! But $37 an hour is a damn good job. A lot of people are ecstatic to hit $20
Sponsored