Sponsored

Bronco cannot start after ForScan changes (Issue Resolved)

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Nope.
The Asbuilt config file that you download from Motorcraft (using your VIN) is the EXACT same data a Ford Dealer would use with IDS to restore configuration. So if it's wrong, then no Ford dealer could fix it either.

This isn't opinion. I've witnessed this restore process with several F150s, more than a few Mustangs, a couple of Shelbys etc.
I get that but you aren't working with dealer equipment. I would never do it that way personally. I would back up and restore using the same tool and the file that came from the backup. For me, changing one of those variables has been like rolling the dice.
Sponsored

ctandc

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22/23 Bronco, 96 EB Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I get that but you aren't working with dealer equipment. I would never do it that way personally. I would back up and restore using the same tool and the file that came from the backup. For me, changing one of those variables has been like rolling the dice.
It's the same source data though. Forscan is simply a different program that does what IDS does (actually Forscan does more).

The file format is the same file format that IDS uses. That data is identical.

A good friend of mine retired from his gig as a Ford Tech, then service manager a couple of years ago. Several years ago, we had IDS hooked up to a car then Forscan. He was excited by how much more Forscan could do - in fact he started using it in his shop.

gryphon1231

First Name
dj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
na
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I did run backup before I started changing. I imagine it would be the same .ab file I downloaded from MotroCraftService.
I wouldn't use the down loaded file to do your restore if you had an issue, use the back up.
That's why you made the back up in the 1st place. Always go to your backup 1st. when that fails it's time for professional help!

OP
OP

raymariner

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F450
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hello everyone,
I am happy to report back, the issue is user/human error, it is one of the three bolts in fuse box that was not tightened enough (by me). I appreciate the inputs from everyone that kept me from losing hope, @‘21OBX @Ksjrb03 are right - it is caused by the loose ground. Once I had the bolt tight, all the nasty messages went away and I could start the vehicle and my OBDLink connected perfectly. Of course I am going to disable the stuff I originally planned, the whole process took five minutes, I can confirm these can be done:
- double honk disabled
- auto start/stop disabled
- headlamp position on start changed to Last Known
- Tire pressure warning changed from 39 psi to 25
- Reset all DTC errors

I still have the "Charging System Service Soon" message that originally prompted me opening the fuse box and hoping to see something wrong. I loosened the three bolts and thought they were holding the fuse box but they were not. I tightened them back but one of them was not enough. I did that after I made changes through FORScan in my first try and that explained why my first test was successful but later start failed. Also I thought I backed up BdyCM(AS BUILT) but it turned out I didn't. However the file I downloaded from MotorcraftService with my VIN worked just fine. I will leave the troubleshooting of "Charging System Service Soon" to the dealer in my next appointment. Maybe I can get that figured out with help from this forum. I have learned a lot of lessons from this drama, and I appreciate this community for technical and emotional support. THANK YOU ALL!

Matsterious

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Hello everyone,
I am happy to report back, the issue is user/human error, it is one of the three bolts in fuse box that was not tightened enough (by me). I appreciate the inputs from everyone that kept me from losing hope, @‘21OBX @Ksjrb03 are right - it is caused by the loose ground. Once I had the bolt tight, all the nasty messages went away and I could start the vehicle and my OBDLink connected perfectly. Of course I am going to disable the stuff I originally planned, the whole process took five minutes, I can confirm these can be done:
- double honk disabled
- auto start/stop disabled
- headlamp position on start changed to Last Known
- Tire pressure warning changed from 39 psi to 25
- Reset all DTC errors

I still have the "Charging System Service Soon" message that originally prompted me opening the fuse box and hoping to see something wrong. I loosened the three bolts and thought they were holding the fuse box but they were not. I tightened them back but one of them was not enough. I did that after I made changes through FORScan in my first try and that explained why my first test was successful but later start failed. Also I thought I backed up BdyCM(AS BUILT) but it turned out I didn't. However the file I downloaded from MotorcraftService with my VIN worked just fine. I will leave the troubleshooting of "Charging System Service Soon" to the dealer in my next appointment. Maybe I can get that figured out with help from this forum. I have learned a lot of lessons from this drama, and I appreciate this community for technical and emotional support. THANK YOU ALL!
It happens to the best of us! Great job working through the problem!

Sponsored

BaseSquatch

Base
First Name
@NotOJsBronco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

This is my worst fear! I’m glad you were able to figure it out!

Lt. Ron

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 Bronco 1986 flareside, 2015 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Sounds like "messing with stuff you should leave up to the dealer/service personnel"
I was told every time ANYONE uses Forscan, it leaves a "tag" that someone was in there. If service "wants" they can trace it, verify it was not "tagged" at a dealer and could tell you your on your own, not warranty anymore....

ctandc

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Sounds like "messing with stuff you should leave up to the dealer/service personnel"
I was told every time ANYONE uses Forscan, it leaves a "tag" that someone was in there. If service "wants" they can trace it, verify it was not "tagged" at a dealer and could tell you your on your own, not warranty anymore....
Did you even read where the reason the Bronco wouldn't start was the fuse box bolts not being tight? In other words - nothing to do with FORSCAN?

First off - the vast majority of dealer / service personnel will NOT make the changes you can make with FORSCAN. I literally know Ford Dealers that USE Forscan (they just don't tell anyone). Why? Because FORSCAN let's them change / enable things that IDS (the Ford system) won't let you do - and many times Forscan will let them make the changes more easily and FASTER.

And NO there is no "tag" that someone can trace. Zero, zilch, nada - complete internet BS.

Now if you change the engine tune in PCM (This is NOT what Forscan does) a dealer can tell see the number of engine starts since the PCM was last flashed. That's an ENTIRELY Different thing and Forscan CAN'T even do that - it's not designed to.

ALL FORSCAN does is change a line or lines of code in a module in the vehicle. There are dozens of modules in the Bronco.

A simple example - If you want to disable the annoying double honk or the horn when the key leaves the vehicle with it running (the FIRST Thing I disable on every Ford I've had since I bought a new '17 Mustang - since I check my mail EVERYDAY, I pull in my driveway, leave the vehicle running and walk to the mailbox - no more annoying double honk) you change ONE option in the BCM (Body Control Module) and it's disabled.

The dealer, using their IDS system doesn't even normally read the modules. They look for DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) they clear them and see if they come back. The will program replacement modules if one goes bad or they might upgrade a firmware on a module for a known TSB or Service notices. They literally follow the Motorcraft / Ford manual when it comes to troubleshooting an issue when they need to eliminate for find a faulty module / component when using IDS.

I've used Forscan to save a lot of $$$$ (for me and friends / co workers) beyond the simple changes made to certain options.

F150 out of warranty? ABS module goes bad? New part is backordered and costs a ton of money? Go to the junk yard, pay $50 for a used one, use FORSCAN to program / relearn that module after it's installed on your truck - literally one example. I charged him a bottle of bourbon. His "Buddy" at the dealer quoted him over $1K for the part + labor + programming.

Matsterious

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Did you even read where the reason the Bronco wouldn't start was the fuse box bolts not being tight? In other words - nothing to do with FORSCAN?

First off - the vast majority of dealer / service personnel will NOT make the changes you can make with FORSCAN. I literally know Ford Dealers that USE Forscan (they just don't tell anyone). Why? Because FORSCAN let's them change / enable things that IDS (the Ford system) won't let you do - and many times Forscan will let them make the changes more easily and FASTER.

And NO there is no "tag" that someone can trace. Zero, zilch, nada - complete internet BS.

Now if you change the engine tune in PCM (This is NOT what Forscan does) a dealer can tell see the number of engine starts since the PCM was last flashed. That's an ENTIRELY Different thing and Forscan CAN'T even do that - it's not designed to.

ALL FORSCAN does is change a line or lines of code in a module in the vehicle. There are dozens of modules in the Bronco.

A simple example - If you want to disable the annoying double honk or the horn when the key leaves the vehicle with it running (the FIRST Thing I disable on every Ford I've had since I bought a new '17 Mustang - since I check my mail EVERYDAY, I pull in my driveway, leave the vehicle running and walk to the mailbox - no more annoying double honk) you change ONE option in the BCM (Body Control Module) and it's disabled.

The dealer, using their IDS system doesn't even normally read the modules. They look for DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) they clear them and see if they come back. The will program replacement modules if one goes bad or they might upgrade a firmware on a module for a known TSB or Service notices. They literally follow the Motorcraft / Ford manual when it comes to troubleshooting an issue when they need to eliminate for find a faulty module / component when using IDS.

I've used Forscan to save a lot of $$$$ (for me and friends / co workers) beyond the simple changes made to certain options.

F150 out of warranty? ABS module goes bad? New part is backordered and costs a ton of money? Go to the junk yard, pay $50 for a used one, use FORSCAN to program / relearn that module after it's installed on your truck - literally one example. I charged him a bottle of bourbon. His "Buddy" at the dealer quoted him over $1K for the part + labor + programming.
Great summary of Forscan!

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Great summary of Forscan!
There are other tools that can fully program any module, but it requires a more advanced adapter (J2534) and you can license the appropriate software for a few days for $50 (FDRS/FJDS). So much for any "tags", the fact that the ECU has been flashed proves nothing.

Sponsored

ctandc

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

IDS and the aftermarket equivalents work better if you tend to "color in the lines". They are different tools with different intentions.

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Congrats on the solution. Grounds are very important in today's electronic systems. Do you have FordPass connected to your bronco? Does it show issues with the charging system?

I couldn't find the code set criteria for that message, but it likely is related to an inability for the charging system to respond to control, or being beyond commanded values.
When you see that message set, you could check battery voltage and see what it is reporting. I'd be tempted to check that with a DVOM to avoid any possible sensor problem from the system.

HOOTERVILLE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 F150, 15 MALIBU, 07 STREETGLIDE, 22 Tenere
Your Bronco Model
Base
EDIT:
The dealer has ordered a "negative voltage sensor" to address my problem. It's supposed to be here this week. Not sure that will fix my prob, we will see.

I also have the "Charging System Service Soon" message every time I start my Bronco. Was hoping for ideas here since it's a long way to the dealer and they are usually booked out. My Bronco only has 570 miles. (I've been out of town). The battery gauge in dash says 14Volts when it's running.
Sponsored

Last edited: