Philly Big Bronco Boy

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Today, my broncoā€™s engine caught on fire while I was driving. Hereā€™s the full story. I was out of state, at the start of a return journey home. The second I turned the car on I was hearing a clicking noise that sounded unusual. It was the first time I heard it. Coming from what sounded like the drivers side. I thought maybe something was stuck in the rim or something so continued. I was on a back round going under 30 miles an hour (speed limit was 30) under five minutes into the drive when all of the sudden I lost all power. Power steering, brakes, every gauge in the car, all screens, completely dark. The brakes were the last thing I noticed were gone as when I pulled off to the side of the road slowly I almost hit a tree when I realized I had no brakesā€¦ Then, suddenly all the screens came back on as I was in full stop. Warning started popping up all over. Too many to read through them all (unfortunately none of them have appeared in my ford pass app as Iā€™d really like to read through them all.). At this moment, I noticed smoke coming out of the hood, so I jumped out of the car, popped the hood, and to my horror saw not just smoke but fire. I immediately called 911. By the time the fire company arrived the fire had put itself out. They sprayed down the engine as it was still smoking, and immediately disconnected the battery. Itā€™s been towed off and I am now without a bronco. Funny, two other broncos passed by as it was being towed away. Iā€™ll post an update as I get it into the shop and someone looks at it. Now for the speculation. The fire police were guessing it was electrical? The fire I saw was coming from what appeared to be the driver side near the cylinder closest to the driver seat. There was melted rubber/plastic where a wire connected to the engine in that location. I donā€™t know what that connection point is. But, am thinking the clicking I was hearing was coming from a piston? No clue.

About the Bronco. Base Bronco, 2021 first year, 2.3L. 20k+ miles. I just paid something like 800 dollars not weeks ago to have the 20k service.
Other notes. Sadly, not the first issue Iā€™ve had as the brakes have gone out when the vacuum brake boost failed. Super sadly, I was on my way home to hang out with my wife as it was our 16 year anniversary. Because this happened after five pm all the rental companies had already closed and my insurance couldnā€™t get me into a rental until the next day. So, my wife ended up driving 2 hours to pick me up (in her Bronco) and then we road the two hour ride home together. Not how I had hoped to spend the evening of our anniversary. But, good news is the car didnā€™t blow up I guess and no one was injured.

Hoping itā€™s not in for repairs too long, itā€™s almost too down weather! Also super hoping insurance doesnā€™t total it. Tow truck driver has me a bit anxious.
Sponsored

Last edited:

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Well, that stinks. Literally! Sorry that happened to you. Please let us know if they determine what caused it.

Brsox

Heritage
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Wow! Hasn't this happened to a few people??

Derecho

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
. . clicking noise that sounded unusual . . Coming from what sounded like the drivers side . .

In the 20k service I'm wondering if they did anything with the spark plugs
Changed the spark plugs ?

It sounds like one of your spark plug cables got loose and was just sparking against nearest thing in the engine bay then caused something to ignite

If they total it maybe good for you. Sounds possible lemon anyway

Sponsored

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Oh gosh that's terrible. I wonder what the heck happened? And if it's related to what the dealer serviced??

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

In the 20k service I'm wondering if they did anything with the spark plugs
Changed the spark plugs ?
Those are 90k+ parts these days so probably not.

But who knows. Could be human error, could be faulty components. Could be a critter that decided the cables looked tasty.

GI_Jo_Nathan

Black Diamond
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Iconic Silver 2dr Manual Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yes thousands
Like the thousands of failed engines
Have you even seen how poorly they do in crash tests with trucks?
Haven't heard of any 2.3 failures.
And what do crash tests have to do with this?

Sponsored

Bluedoggie

Big Bend
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco Big Bend, 22 Volvo xc60
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Was this is Delaware? Just asking.

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜23 Bronco OBX 2DR Lux 2.7, ā€˜16 Corvette Z51
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Pictures?

wjtinfwb

Black Diamond
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep GC, Excursion, Focus ST, Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Car fires are pretty rare, the $800 20k service may be a clue. I'd pour over that invoice looking for anything that is outside of what Ford recommends for service. Dealers will do some really dumb stuff to pad the service invoice, different chemicals, cleaners, tweaks, etc. that might be the culprit. Your insurance company will likely investigate as well as this will be a costly claim and they'll be looking to subrogate against another party if blame can be established.