Knuckles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hydrogen fuel cells are dead for passenger cars. I sense you've done zero research on them. The whole extraction, compression/chilling, transport, refueling stations is so complicated and dangerous I'm not sure it will ever make sense for consumer use. Hydrogen for long-term energy storage or commercial trucking... maybe.

All this talk 3 years ago about Florida installing hydrogen stations... nada. Shell just closed a bunch of stations in CA and scrapped plans for 48 new one.

https://www.hydrogeninsight.com/tra...g-stations-for-cars-in-california/2-1-1596104
Not so fast..... Yes there are challenges but more automakers are developing Hydrogen based autos and its only a matter of time before this becomes a viable alternative to traditional ICE and EV powered vehicles.
Following is one example article but there are plenty more where that comes from to counter your "zero research" claim. Virtually every week there are articles written to document advances on the technology.
https://www.fastechus.com/blog/vehicle-manufacturers-working-on-hydrogen-fuel-cell-vehicles

voxel

Heritage
First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Not so fast..... Yes there are challenges but more automakers are developing Hydrogen based autos and its only a matter of time before this becomes a viable alternative to traditional ICE and EV powered vehicles.
Following is one example article but there are plenty more where that comes from to counter your "zero research" claim. Virtually every week there are articles written to document advances on the technology.
https://www.fastechus.com/blog/vehicle-manufacturers-working-on-hydrogen-fuel-cell-vehicles
The problem isn't with the vehicles... it's with the hydrogen extraction and transport to refuel stations. Pipelines need to be sealed better than water/gas pipes or compressed hydrogen will leak. Hydrogen needs to be chilled for transport and then chilled at the refuel station but has to be converted to gas to move between station to car. It's incredibly complicated and delicate and thus expensive.

https://www.energy.gov/energysaver/how-hydrogen-filling-station-works

HFEV are basically half-EVs anyhow... the fuel cells generate electricity for the electric motors.

EVs have the opposite problem. Electricity is everywhere (you plug in at home) but the energy density of li-ion batteries are poor compared to gasoline or hydrogen.

Folks b*tch about EV chargers but hydrogen refuel stations are constantly broken and their are lawsuits abound.

https://www.hydrogeninsight.com/tra...ulty-hydrogen-refuelling-stations/2-1-1595967

I joke, but I feel micro nuclear reactors might be more practical than some technologies discussed above.

voxel

Heritage
First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

FYI... for the record I think Sodium Ion batteries will become the norm in the future. Wide operating range (unlike li-ion - so you can use them in cold and hot climates), less flammable (similar to LFP/LiFe), cheap... did I mention cheap? No nickel nor cobalt. No child labor!

First EVs are being built and shipped with them. All future hybrids should use them. Yeah they are lower energy density but who cares... Did I mention how cheap they are?

Cactus Jack

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Agree 100%.

I had a loaner Lightning vehicle for 3 days. It was so wonderful, until it needed charged.

The range is just so poor right now.

I believe that by the ’30s, battery tech will have improved drastically.

According to one of our sources, Ford has placed EV versions of the Maverick and Bronco on-hold, until at least the early ‘30s.

Source: https://www.autoweek.com/news/a46869879/gm-chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-phevs-coming-to-market/
With the incredible success of the Lightning, I am very surprised to hear this! ;)

Sponsored

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I am not going to get very deep into this (although I could).... The problem is the same with any emerging technology. Some people get the cart before the horse and the nay sayers start screaming.

I do know what I am talking about. My father was CEO of the worlds largest photovoltaics campany in the 1990s.... The next CEO did not have the foresight and got them out of the business. All I can think is where would they be right now? I have been studying this for decades....

And yes transportation is being worked out.... Think Ammonia.... There are some other alternatives that could replace that but... It solves the issues being brought up.

There will be a combination of FC, Batteries and capacitors.

Rather than argue about it... I am just going to sit back and put my money where my mouth is... I am investing but being very particular about with whom. There will be a lot of shake out in the industry just like there is with any emerging technology.

CarmeloS

Badlands
First Name
Carmelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 2dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Point above is why obsess over added weight (hybrids/evs) when a tune and bolt ons add more power and theres less points of failure to boot

before you cite added mpgs, also note theyre thousands of dollars more, which could be used for fuel and stuff

Last edited:

Altitude

Badlands
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Grand Cherokee, 2008 Suzuki B-King
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

By early 30s, hopefully Solid-state battery tech is more advanced (should be?) and hopefully we could see 1000+ mile ranges....
I'm not sure of the time frame, but EVs are the future. Batteries will only get lighter, smaller, with more energy density and quicker re-charging times. I think that 1000 mile ranges and 20 minute recharge times will happen...eventually.

Draughon

Badlands
First Name
Daylon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 4-Series
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

brkdncr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Kinda sucks but I’d rather have a full baked product than something rushed. Hopefully this doesn’t mean the PHEV Bronco will be delayed. I’d rather get into that than nothing on my next Bronco.

I already have my gas guzzler (2024 GMC 3500 HD AT4 6.6 Duramax). Would be awesome to have an energy efficient adventure rig
you bought a 2021 bronco but say you don’t like buying something rushed. 🤔

TheBlunden

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Lightning ⚡, 2024 Big Bend order in
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
No politics here I went from paying 80 bucks a week in gas in my F150 to the Lightning to paying 12 dollars per week in electricity for the same commute. It's not a road tripper neither was my other F150. It pulls my boat just fine to the 3 surrounding lakes I (try to) fish at. If you have a 240 charger at your house it's like you have an elf filling it up every night while you sleep. Both sides of the political aisle have turned everyone on EVs and anyone that say hydrogen is the future is lying to themselves the only good use case is for hydrogen are semi's. You can't store enough tanks on a passenger vehicle to have a decent amount of range.

IMG_20240224_172052.jpg

2023bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
When internet-connected vehicles fail, like cell phones did last week, I'll be able to hop in one of my unconnected cars and drive anywhere. I'm not a fan, at all, of cars that depend on internet connection and "updates." Seems like EV is another step in that direction.

TheBlunden

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Lightning ⚡, 2024 Big Bend order in
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
When internet-connected vehicles fail, like cell phones did last week, I'll be able to hop in one of my unconnected cars and drive anywhere. I'm not a fan, at all, of cars that depend on internet connection and "updates." Seems like EV is another step in that direction.
You can turn off the updates lol. Broncos are also able to get over the air updates. Go ahead and turn off your cell phone while your at it and get that tin foil hat on