Nickp

Base
Staff member
First Name
Nick
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
*Have a midsize truck lol. I’m not even sure when the Dakota was discontinued, I’m sure it was in the recession.

Edit: yup 2011.

Advertisement

MyATV

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Sahara 2-Door V6 Hardtop 6-speed manual
Clubs

Actually it's just an embarrassed Jeep-owning employee trying to get in the back gate.

1623117889025.png

ilbastarge

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Clubs

*Have a midsize truck lol. I’m not even sure when the Dakota was discontinued, I’m sure it was in the recession.

Edit: yup 2011.
Fair, but they did have one and it was a fairly popular machine. Don't bother with the numbers Nick. It isn't a case of "but they only sold xxx of them". I recall seeing MANY off those on the roads over the years, they were popular. Biggest complaints I ever heard - rust. Their big trucks had tranny issues. Dakotas we're fairly reliable.

ibanezadam117

Wildtrak
First Name
Adam
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Ford Explorer
Not related to your topic, but after seeing that picture, I just realized I’ve never seen a Gladiator with a canopy on the back of it. Not sure how I feel about that… :unsure:

Ford should focus on building our Bronco’s we have on order. Get through that before you move onto something else… Just my 2 cents. They have enough going on right now with new launches.
To be fair, the design/dev teams are probably largely separated from the manufacturing/production teams. I'd imagine the design guys are constantly brainstorming and coming up with new ideas to tackle goals that are handed down to them. But then again, I don't know, just thinking out loud and wishfully hoping they aren't taking away resources from producing Broncos right now to make this idea happen.

TXAG96

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Bullitt, '01 Boxster, '87 TBird Turbo Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
God please no. let jeep have ugly honors.

604Bronco

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
R&D for future products is a totally separate division of the company and doesn’t effect the building of the current model. Besides, companies can’t just stop R&D, they’d be left in the dust by their competitors.
So, like Jeep?

604Bronco

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
To be fair, the design/dev teams are probably largely separated from the manufacturing/production teams. I'd imagine the design guys are constantly brainstorming and coming up with new ideas to tackle goals that are handed down to them. But then again, I don't know, just thinking out loud and wishfully hoping they aren't taking away resources from producing Broncos right now to make this idea happen.
Move those resources to Webasto. More people to build MIC tops :D

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Crew Cab
I love the escalation unfolding before our eyes between Jeep and Ford.
This could be really cool if done right. I know a lot of people find the gladiator ugly but I love it. I also loved the El Camino.

I’d love to see what Ford comes up with for a pickup bronco.
Im in. It'd have to be a bit longer than the 4dr, to accommodate a bed and have a big enough cabin for roomy crew cab seats. Under The bed would be a great place for a large battery. Personally, as long as its got clearance for sand and dirt and trails, i dont care as much about rock crawling. I'll trade my 2021 in in 2025!

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Crew Cab
I love the escalation unfolding before our eyes between Jeep and Ford.
This could be really cool if done right. I know a lot of people find the gladiator ugly but I love it. I also loved the El Camino.

I’d love to see what Ford comes up with for a pickup bronco.
Im in. It'd have to be a bit longer than the 4dr, to accommodate a bed and have a big enough cabin for roomy crew cab seats. Under The bed would be a great place for a large battery. Personally, as long as its got clearance for sand and dirt and trails, i dont care as much about rock crawling. I'll trade my 2021 in in 2025!
Why exactly does anyone want a Bronco pickup when the soon to be refreshed Ranger, which shares the Bronco platform, exists?
Some of us will only settle for a Bronco named Bronco, and it doesnt have to make sense! This is a "lifestyle" car, so the decision is as much emotional as rational.

And, there's more room in the Bronco Cab than the Ranger cab for tall people. If i was to think of a Ranger, I'd go to the F150 Lighting

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco (ordered)
Clubs

If I was Ford and wanted to go the bronco truck route I would model off a j10 and not a gladiator. I think the j10 was beautiful and still had that rugged off road capability.
7779D94C-B5E2-4A15-9714-F6B1B52AE342.jpeg
FWIW J-Series were originally called Gladiator. That's where the name came from.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze
Clubs

Why exactly does anyone want a Bronco pickup when the soon to be refreshed Ranger, which shares the Bronco platform, exists?
-Bronco name
-Bronco off-road goodies
-Removable doors and roof
-Manual transmission

There may be others, and some of these may end up being shared with the next Gen Ranger. This was just off the top of my head.

NurseDan

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Jetta
Clubs

The Ranger already has the midsized truck thing covered and the new generation seems to be geared more towards North American tastes.

Advertisement

Wide Open Roads Banner 2

Advertisement