Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Lol true.
I've done a lot of different things in my life.
Currently a plant manager.
However, I've done it all from welding, painting, maintenance, etc.
As a side gig a few years back a buddy and I ran an industrial repair business and you would be amazed at some things that "just happen".
A lot of times you just stand back, look at the situation and think "how in the world did this happen?"
The most FUBAR'ed situation I can remember having to diagnose and fix is a racoon climbed up a column one day at a factory and shorted himself out between two legs of 480V 3 phase on a bridge crane power rail. It melted the contactors, wires inside in a control panel, fried some overhead lights. And it smelled horrible.
I used to have a poster on my toolbox where a rhino's rear end was sticking out of a steaming boiler and the caption said "just another normal day in maintenance."
It was very true.
We have a very expensive and well engineered piece of kit at my agency. Years in development to make it “idiot proof.” It’s mission critical and must perform the first time every time in every possible operating condition.

One day someone managed to get it jammed up in a way that should not have been physically possible... but I had photographic evidence. I have tried to reproduce the problem to better understand it and trouble shoot, but I’ve never been successful.

I’m told those pictures now hang in the manufacturer's engineering department with the caption:

“These are the idiots you’re engineering for.”
Sponsored

Last edited:

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sneakers
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I hope I don't get anyone in trouble for sharing this, that's why I censored the post. But I know someone who works at Dearborn stamping and they shared that there was a fire on one of the cranes used for setting presses on the Bronco line. I edited this post to remove their Facebook post as suggested by others here.
I really hope that they can get this fixed soon.
Ford Bronco Bronco production line equipment suffers fire gg7

Vigor

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Id prefer them to get to a root cause of the issue and address it. Wouldn't want an employee to die just so you can get your bronco a day earlier lmao
Well it depends on the employee
Haha... I'm kidding
I figured it was just old
My TV breaks, I get a new one

(I clearly know nothing about manufacturing cars)

92EddieBauer

Black Diamond
First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Atlas & Titan XD Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Well it depends on the employee
Haha... I'm kidding
I figured it was just old
My TV breaks, I get a new one

(I clearly know nothing about manufacturing cars)
I don't know much about manufacturing cars but I worked in EHS for a construction company and now one of the largest tractor trailer carriers in the U.S. Part of it was tongue in cheek & playing arm chair EHS Manager. The other part is accurate, can't always throw money at things. Even if they get a new crane or press or whatever there is still some downtime for installation and training the employees on the new process/operation/hazards/maintenance/Lock out tag out.

Sponsored

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Manufacturing usually has contingency plans for things like this, as much as we can.
Either bridge cranes that travel the length of an area and are able to travel along the path of the hobbled crane, extra VFD's, contactors, and motors on hand, whatever.
We are a smaller company and I made it a point to order an extra VFD, extra contactors, extra wire rope, trolley drive motors, buss fuses, sheaves, pulleys, etc. to keep on the shelf.
The worst situation we've had that we could not handle in-house kept us down for maybe 2 days.
We have a crane repair service on call.
I'm sure if my privately owned company has these plans a multi-national fortune 500 company has that and more.
I wouldn't sweat it.
@broadicustomworks I agree, been there, seen that. Most of the times I saw this it wasn't as bad as it sounds. Seized bearings, fluid lines break, etc. Equipment was back in action with very little downtime. Manufacturing companies are usually ready for these type of problems. I'm hoping this is the situation at MAP, and that no one was injured. My biggest concern was keeping the supervisors calm while things were being repaired. I'm sure you've seen that line supervisors can get quite nervous when it comes to downtime. The last thing they wanted to see was the group supervisor coming down the hall. :)

Sponsored

Svrdram

First Edition
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mkx
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I've worked at Ford's for 21 years and a I'm currently skilled trades, that thing will be up and running in hours. I had a large fire in one of the machines and had guys working on it around the clock for 6 days. Had to teplace every wire in the machine but had it up and running like nothing happend.

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Manufacturing usually has contingency plans for things like this, as much as we can.
Either bridge cranes that travel the length of an area and are able to travel along the path of the hobbled crane, extra VFD's, contactors, and motors on hand, whatever.
We are a smaller company and I made it a point to order an extra VFD, extra contactors, extra wire rope, trolley drive motors, buss fuses, sheaves, pulleys, etc. to keep on the shelf.
The worst situation we've had that we could not handle in-house kept us down for maybe 2 days.
We have a crane repair service on call.
I'm sure if my privately owned company has these plans a multi-national fortune 500 company has that and more.
I wouldn't sweat it.
Happens all the time. You would be surprised the amount of things that break in a given day in the grocery stores we service for electrical. Entire refrigeration racks, breakers, fuses, compressors etc. Something happens every single day, par for the course!

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus ST, '21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@broadicustomworks I agree, been there, seen that. Most of the times I saw this it wasn't as bad as it sounds. Seized bearings, fluid lines break, etc. Equipment was back in action with very little downtime. Manufacturing companies are usually ready for these type of problems. I'm hoping this is the situation at MAP, and that no one was injured. My biggest concern was keeping the supervisors calm while things were being repaired. I'm sure you've seen that line supervisors can get quite nervous when it comes to downtime. The last thing they wanted to see was the group supervisor coming down the hall. :)
According to OP this was at Dearborn stamping, not MAP. And who knows the dies for the Bronco may have already been in place when the crane decided to self-immolate.

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

According to OP this was at Dearborn stamping, not MAP. And who knows the dies for the Bronco may have already been in place when the crane decided to self-immolate.
Oops, my bad. Same thing still applies.