Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Flex, 2016 Explorer, 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Hey guys, I'm alive and well. I taught our band camp last week, 14 hours a day Mon-Fri. I was quite busy.

A blacked out Transit didn't abduct me in the middle of the night or anything.

Things are not great. Commodity issues far beyond the MIC tops have exploded, the chip shortage has finally reached the Bronco supply chain, and nobody really has any good answers at this point. As bad as the issues have been up to this point, this is worse.

Things are so fluid and changing so quickly, by the time I get scraps of new info it's quite likely outdated. If there's one little glimmer of good news, it may just be that the planned volume and availability of the dealer stock 4 door soft top units is quickly trending downward. After all, you can't build the "less desirable" units if you can't build anything at all.

Edit to add: My inbox is crammed with a metric ton of unread messages. If you're waiting on a reply, I'll try to get thru those in the next few days.

Q&A

@PREMiERdrum, how do you see this impacting those of us with FE window stickers and build dates for this week? My blend date is 8/11.
In all honesty, FE reservation holders are the only ones who should feel super confident about much of anything at this point.

You're good.

Good to see you alive and well :). Any updates on the Broncos still sitting at MAP since June? Are they waiting on chips?
To my knowledge, none of the purgatory holds are waiting on chips. MAP hasn't built any Broncos without chips awaiting further installation as other Ford plants have. I've heard of some proposals but nothing that's started yet.

@PREMiERdrum - If we have build waiting on the MAP lot for a roof but have chips, there's no reason to think that Ford will start using them as a pick and pull for new builds, is there? Steal a part from an already waiting build to kick out a freshly made one. God I hope not!
No, emphatically. Hasn't happened, isn't happening, won't happen.

Update 8/10:

LOTS of discussion here, and some of the options being brought up jive with *possibilities* being considered. AFAIK, there isn't a firm decision one way or another. All FEs will be built out in MY21 (and honestly those still awaiting a VIN and scheduling shouldn't be waiting too much longer). Some more MIC MY21s are probably going to be built, but I doubt we'll see them any appreciable numbers.

The main thing to watch is scheduling both this week and next (assuming they both end up happening as scheduled). How many members here will see their non-FE MIC units scheduled? If we see many (any?), that's a decent sign. I don't think we will.

Another kick in the sack is that from everything I've been told none of the purgatory units are awaiting any type of inspection any longer. They're just stuck waiting on solution(s).

I've caught wind of several alternatives being considered... some more drastic than others.

@PREMiERdrum - any thought to Ford shipping MICs to dealers with “bad” tops and doing an extended warranty campaign on them? I have to imagine this would be easier than replacing them through MOD centers at MAP and taking up all that room.
Not likely, which is the biggest holdup right now. The backlash for widespread delivery of shitty tops compounded by the freight costs to deliver thousands of new tops and payouts to dealers for installing them... it's not a path they want to fo down. Unfortunately, but unsurprisingly.
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

martyb

Badlands
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra Denali, VW Atlas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey guys, I'm alive and well. I taught our band camp last week, 14 hours a day Mon-Fri. I was quite busy.

Things are not great. Commodity issues far beyond the MIC tops have exploded, the chip shortage has finally reached the Bronco supply chain, and nobody really has any good answers at this point. As bad as the issues have been up to this point, this is worse.

Things are so fluid and changing so quickly, by the time I get scraps of new info it's quite likely outdated. If there's one little glimmer of good news, it may just be that the planned volume and availability of the dealer stock 4 door soft top units is quickly trending downward. After all, you can't build the "less desirable" units if you can't build anything at all.

Welcome back. You have been missed by the community.

drive21bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You have been missed Ross, What does this mean for built units stuck at MAP? Are they waiting for chips after all?

Sponsored

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
sad news for the MAP staff....they're at risk of feeling like a yo-yo

OP
OP
PREMiERdrum

PREMiERdrum

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

What does this mean for built units stuck at MAP? Are they waiting for chips after all?
Several weeks ago I was assured the backlog was going to be inspected and largely cleared during the week of shutdown. Some were, but the rest are still sitting... and all I hear are crickets.

TheWoo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Nice to have you back! Thanks for the info.

While the delays stink, I'm almost relieved to hear they are being at least partially caused by the same things plaguing the entire industry. Doesn't make it easier to deal with - in many ways this significantly increases the challenges - but it's understandable.

When people were saying it was going to take a couple years to get the automotive industry straightened out, they knew what they were talking about.

Sponsored

GoTigersGoBronco

Badlands
First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As I've said before, I wish Ford had pulled a '12 Focus and had an 18 month run of 2022 Broncos. Having a '21 and a '22 seems to be a bit more confusing. I'm sure there is some reason, but Ford has rarely started production of a model year in the middle of the year.

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Edit to add: My inbox is crammed with a metric ton of unread messages. If you're waiting on a reply, I'll try to get thru those in the next few days.
Anything official on shutdown weeks yet?

OP
OP
PREMiERdrum

PREMiERdrum

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

OP
OP
PREMiERdrum

PREMiERdrum

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

sad news for the MAP staff....they're at risk of feeling like a yo-yo
They're back to building more Rangers than Broncos as of this morning, so less impact to assembly staff than it could have been.

CO-Bronco

Badlands
First Name
CO-Bronco
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 - 4dr - Cyber Orange - Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You're alive!!! 😃😃😃😃🥳🥳🥳🥳.

Ford Bronco Bronco production update 8/9:  Commodity issues far beyond MIC tops. Chip shortage reaches Bronco supply chain (NO COVID TALK) giphy (6) (3)
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.