First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I've been irritated by the recent push of my 1/17 build week EDD to July 26th. So I started tracking Ford's Bronco sales, using their official monthly updates.

Here's my worksheet, if interested, updated through April 2022:

Based on the data, for the first time in April, Ford started to eat into their inventory and sold more Broncos than produced (the red line is higher than the blue line).
Ford Bronco Bronco sales analysis Screenshot 2022-05-22 at 1.09.28 PM

The total difference of sold to produced Broncos went down for the first time in April 2022, with a difference of 31,443 fewer Broncos sold than produced.

Now the cause for the difference could be:
  1. Broncos used for manikins
  2. Broncos used for Bronco rodeo and other assorted BS
  3. Broncos used for promotional purposes, i.e. lent out to YouTubers
  4. Broncos abandoned to rot on Dirt Mountain OR being cannibalized for parts and therefore not able to be sold

Items 1-3 might be relatively small. If there's 3K Ford dealers in the US, manikin count would be about 6-7K. Maybe 200 for off-rodeo purposes? Maybe 400 total as it seems they may have recently refreshed the vehicles.

Maybe 50 press vehicles.

So perhaps 7.5K are unable to be sold. That leaves about 24K Broncos unaccounted for in category 4--rotting on Dirt Mountain, waiting for parts or being cannibalized for parts to keep the line running.

Thoughts on my lousy math?

Ford Bronco Bronco sales analysis Screenshot 2022-05-22 at 1.09.40 PM

When looked at as a percentage, Ford was stuck at about 64% of total Broncos produced as sold for four consecutive months. It was only in April when that percentage rose to 70%.

Still 30% of all the Broncos built haven't been sold.
Ford Bronco Bronco sales analysis Screenshot 2022-05-22 at 1.09.50 PM

Here's the cume totals:

Ford Bronco Bronco sales analysis Screenshot 2022-05-22 at 1.21.59 PM
Sponsored

TABadlands

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT; 2022 Two Door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wow, that's a lot of factory; chip; dirt, mud, ice mountain; shipping holds, delays, etc.

66GT

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Marauder, 66 Mustang GT, 65 Ranchero, 64 Comet
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've been irritated by the recent push of my 1/17 build week EDD to July 26th. So I started tracking Ford's Bronco sales, using their official monthly updates.

Based on the data, for the first time in April, Ford started to eat into their inventory and sold more Broncos than produced (the red line is higher than the blue line).
Screenshot 2022-05-22 at 1.09.28 PM.jpg

The total difference of sold to produced Broncos went down for the first time in April 2022, with a difference of 31,443 fewer Broncos sold than produced.

4. Broncos abandoned to rot on Dirt Mountain OR being cannibalized for parts and therefore not able to be sold

Items 1-3 might be relatively small. If there's 3K Ford dealers in the US, manikin count would be about 6-7K. Maybe 200 for off-rodeo purposes? Maybe 400 total as it seems they may have recently refreshed the vehicles.

Maybe 50 press vehicles.

So perhaps 7.5K are unable to be sold. That leaves about 24K Broncos unaccounted for in category 4--rotting on Dirt Mountain, waiting for parts or being cannibalized for parts to keep the line running.

Screenshot 2022-05-22 at 1.09.40 PM.jpg

When looked at as a percentage, Ford was stuck at about 64% of total Broncos produced as sold for four consecutive months. It was only in April when that percentage rose to 70%.

Screenshot 2022-05-22 at 1.09.50 PM.jpg

Here's the cume totals:

Screenshot 2022-05-22 at 1.21.59 PM.jpg
Great stats.... you may be missing a few groups.

1. Inventory in transit.
2. Inventory on lots (for sale or being modified).
3. Vehicles damaged in transit or anytime after production which required destruction.
4. Ford executive vehicles.
5. Vehicles loaned out to aftermarket for accessory manufacturing.

Probably more cracks for them to fall in... but your concerns about the unfinished Broncos piling up are real and valid.

Covid/supply constraints were an industry-wide problem... but Ford brought on their own problems.

You know, if Ford hadn't taken reservations for almost 200k vehicles, their issues would be in house and under the radar. As it is, their blunders are out in the open and being scrutinized by a rabid fan base.

Could be worse. They could be building cars that suck and nobody wants.

OP
OP
markpilip

markpilip

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Great stats.... you may be missing a few groups.

1. Inventory in transit.
2. Inventory on lots (for sale or being modified).
3. Vehicles damaged in transit or anytime after production which required destruction.
4. Ford executive vehicles.
5. Vehicles loaned out to aftermarket for accessory manufacturing.

Probably more cracks for them to fall in... but your concerns about the unfinished Broncos piling up are real and valid.

Covid/supply constraints were an industry-wide problem... but Ford brought on their own problems.

You know, if Ford hadn't taken reservations for almost 200k vehicles, their issues would be in house and under the radar. As it is, their blunders are out in the open and being scrutinized by a rabid fan base.

Could be worse. They could be building cars that suck and nobody wants.
Thanks. All good adds. Aside from number 1, the rest should be relatively small, I'd think.

Sponsored
OP
OP
markpilip

markpilip

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It appears that you're comparing the production for all countries against only US sales. Wouldn't that make the gap pretty meaningless?
You're right. I don't have non-US sales here. Assume a relatively small number for Canada and, I imagine, there's a few exported to some other countries. Maybe another 1-2K?

Still ~20K missing.

MyBroncoNotYours

Badlands
First Name
Good Try FBI
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You're right. I don't have non-US sales here. Assume a relatively small number for Canada and, I imagine, there's a few exported to some other countries. Maybe another 1-2K?

Still ~20K missing.
There appears to be 2,500 New on CarGurus and although some could be in transit for orders I think they have to manually add to the website maybe linking more to be actually abandoned orders.

With the rail and convoy problems most people seem to be waiting a month to get their’s delivered. If we presume 3wks we’d be looking at 10k in transit on rail and convoy at any given time.

so that brings it down to about 7,500 on dirt mountain I would presume

OP
OP
markpilip

markpilip

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
There appears to be 2,500 New on CarGurus and although some could be in transit for orders I think they have to manually add to the website maybe linking more to be actually abandoned orders.

With the rail and convoy problems most people seem to be waiting a month to get their’s delivered. If we presume 3wks we’d be looking at 10k in transit on rail and convoy at any given time.

so that brings it down to about 7,500 on dirt mountain I would presume
Yep, that could be reasonably close to the truth as well, although MAYBE some of the CarGurus Broncos are being syndicated from the dealership websites, so some of those might be double-counted with the ones already in transit.

I'll be the number is tickling 5 figures given what I've seen in the videos.

Dan66

Wildtrak
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 explorer platinum 2014 ram limited
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Are the order banks open now?

Dayton1984

Wildtrak
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Acura RDX
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

Sponsored

22OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 F150 Lariat, '04 F150 Lariat, '73 F100 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Jamiegla1

Badlands
First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to be 1st time Bronco owner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

first, thanks for taking the time to put this together. I live in excel so this is much easier to digest.

second, for my own lack of knowledge, does "sold" mean that the customer has taken their bronco? Does "produced" mean sitting on dirt/chip/mud mountain?

Arrowbear Rider

Base
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Triumph Thunderbird Commander 1700
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

First of all great work on the spread sheets!

The first Broncos produced that were pre-production units that weren't salable I think is a bigger part than you may have accounted for. I read those not only included Jan-March (very little Production) but April, May and a good part of June's production that were not salable or other wised planned uses. You accounted for manikins, media and etc, but I think there is more broncos that were test mules on the road, or torn back apart for QC inspections and fine turning the line and production, or other testing/crash units and etc.

I lived on hwy 18 in the mountains and saw so many test vehicles, camo to ready to sell (all types) doing the same or similar test loop from sea level to the mountains and down to and across the desert and back; the magazines too. A job I'd love to have. Many other places around the county too like in CO, TFL taped a lot of cars testing there too. So there are many pre-production cars running around prior to release and after.

Reactions: rws

ocbucks1

Outer Banks
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyta
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Maybe 50 press vehicles.

Here's the cume totals:

So “produced” includes vehicles that are “in production”.
Vehicles sold basically equals vehicles production. None are not sold on reality. The biggest issue is the demand is higher than the supply creating secondary markup. Those could be dealer or ford profits if Ford could plan.

OP
OP
markpilip

markpilip

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
first, thanks for taking the time to put this together. I live in excel so this is much easier to digest.

second, for my own lack of knowledge, does "sold" mean that the customer has taken their bronco? Does "produced" mean sitting on dirt/chip/mud mountain?
I’d have to go back to read the footnotes on Fords month reports but I believe that “sold” is bookable revenue so that would mean sold to dealer. “Produced” should mean completed vehicles but, clearly, it doesn’t given the demand for the vehicle.
Sponsored